Insde grow vr outside grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanillaking

Yumnutts
Reaction score
I have 13 plants growing in my back yard. I had 4 White Widows growing inside under lights. The white widow buds were very airy and not a tight bud. My brother indicated I used to much fertilizer which made them airy. He also stated my out door grow will not produce tight buds because tight buds only grow indoors.

I have checked his buds out and they are so much more solid than mine. What makes the bud tight rather than airy?

there are a lot of different variables that could possibly contribute to airy buds. i'd say the biggest contributing factors to airy buds are type of strain and insufficient light. there is a chance that to much fertilizer could cause less then optimal bud structure. but it would most certainly be accompanied by a mess of other problems(toxicity, deficiency, etc.). ohh, and his statement about only getting tight buds from indoor grows is just completely wrong.

What size of area were the ww in.
How big of light??
LH.

My airy buds left when i started using 1000 watts.

Green mojo to you.

Your brother doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to the od plants.

The buds on your od plants will be much more dense than on your inside plants. They're getting hit with much more powerful full spectrum light, as well as getting nonstop 100% air exchange.

Airy buds can be anything from not enough p and k in flower, to keeping your light to high, to flipping before you saw alternating nodes, and could just be crappy genetics.

Your brother is incorrect. Bud density is determined by many factors, but whether they are grown inside or outside doesn't make much difference as long as each has a good growing environment.

Too much nitrogen on flowering can also retard flowering. Too much heat can cause airy buds. However, airy buds are generally related to strain and amount of light.

Melvan said:
Your brother doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to the od plants.

The buds on your od plants will be much more dense than on your inside plants. They're getting hit with much more powerful full spectrum light, as well as getting nonstop 100% air exchange.

Airy buds can be anything from not enough p and k in flower, to keeping your light to high, to flipping before you saw alternating nodes, and could just be crappy genetics.

Buds on outdoor is definitely not "more" dense then Indoor, by far.
If a Grower is good, and has a good genetic, then they can be equal, but not more dense.

most of the time, airy nugs stem from heat issues.

vanillaking said:
I have 13 plants growing in my back yard. I had 4 White Widows growing inside under lights. The white widow buds were very airy and not a tight bud. My brother indicated I used to much fertilizer which made them airy. He also stated my out door grow will not produce tight buds because tight buds only grow indoors.

I have checked his buds out and they are so much more solid than mine. What makes the bud tight rather than airy?

just to throw in 2cents more.. i just finished a fantastic first id grow. i got the largest and densest buds, compared to what i ever grew ods. i also got some of the most airy buds i ever saw before on a different strain. this strongly suggests to me, strain is a huge factor in bud density. :icon_smile: jmo...

Indoors and outdoors are two major ways to grow cannabis. Some people the mixture of two and grow plants indoor at vegetative stage and transfer that to outside in their flowering stage. Both indoor and outdoor growing have their own benefits and drawbacks. Choose one which is suitable for you.

The light was Sun system 1000 W Hortilux in both HPS and MH and the area was about 6x5

Try adding silica to your grow if you haven't tried it... Any plant is in homeostasis with a certain equilibrium, as earlier posters mentioned the factors that detriment a plant will directly affect the density of the flowering bud. When an organism goes into reproduction the reproduction zone can be directly susceptible to change based on the adverse effects of bugs, or mold, or temps, or pH, or age of bulb, root zone issues, soil temps, etc... gl with the fattening!

edit: OD gets phat as hell. I've only done a few indoor and a few outdoor and both were equivalent in density for their conditionsl (and pretty much similar dense-ness just diff growth characteristics between OD and ID).

I have only one od grow and there is no way the buds are as dense as indoor. There is way too much leaf and the buds are much smaller then indoors. I don't know what i could have done better or different....

As with my experience outdoors only, i must state that its more strain dependent than anything.
I have had several plants sidebyside , same sunlight,same nutes. same everything, just different strains.
some with good solid buds, some airy and small.

As with my experience outdoors only, i must state that its more strain dependent than anything.
I have had several plants sidebyside , same sunlight,same nutes. same everything, just different strains.
some with good solid buds, some airy and small.
Id have to agree with you on that, Some strains just don't have a long enough season, I have had more problems with Sativa, then indicas grown outside with airy buds, in my area. I like a od plant to start showing hairs the middle of august, more time for the buds to develop , planted some thai, once very airy buds.

ive grown od bud that was dense as a rock and stickyer and more flavorful then any bud we used to grow indoors under 6 1000w ....... outdoors their is a art to it learn it and u will be rewarded u can never beat mother nature on a good year

IMO your going to see more airy buds on a out door plants Typically. as there not tended lots ( once a week or even once every 2 weeks ) so canopy control is crazy so lots of buds tend to go to other uses like hash or oils
So really a person is harvesting half of plant or a bit more hell say 2/3 hahaha

Latitude means everything when your growing out door. so picking a early finisher or later one makes a world of difference
So with that in mind 45 lat and up many grows are chopped early,,,
(we usually wait after second frost in northern hemisphere , due to early frost as well as southern Hemisphere i am taking about the 40 and up latitude south
I noticed more stretching on a out door plants plants range in size from 5 - 7 feet again prob due to latitude and our seasonal phases ,,,,

Advantages of out door free power nothing beats that if police find it lets hope your not there you don't get busted..

Disadvantages In reality your harvesting less then 3/4 of plant rest is trim for later goods Climate change , droughts , crazy winds and storms your in the hands of mother nature period being detected , eaten by a bunch of deer , Stolen on you this happens allot you go out there, chop day and they already chopped. one harvest a year if your lucky you made it to the end

Bottom line : indoor sells for more per pound then out door Dam i remember out door few years back dropped to like 600 pound again due to flood of out door in the market

I actually see the opposite with outdoor. HUGE gardens of tight nug dank. Most outdoor gardens I know are tended daily. I usually don't see ant larf from outdoor plants if the grower is on top of it, which most of the ones I know are. They harvest pretty much the whole plant, ranging from 5-7 lb's per plant.
Most ALL the outdoor growers I know make a lot more then any indoor grower could ever pull in a year.

Ok so i thought my last years od was airy, but we are still smoking it and it is hard nugs now. It is almost solid red hair.... no leaf. weird.. But on the bush it was airy.

I am trying one more od this year and am trying to do better.

I actually see the opposite with outdoor. HUGE gardens of tight nug dank. Most outdoor gardens I know are tended daily. I usually don't see ant larf from outdoor plants if the grower is on top of it, which most of the ones I know are. They harvest pretty much the whole plant, ranging from 5-7 lb's per plant.
Most ALL the outdoor growers I know make a lot more then any indoor grower could ever pull in a year.

True Norcal but again latitude played a huge roll your in the 32 lat range your season is longer 20 - 40 degree further north it becomes a whole new ball game your not going to get that, lets say in Alaska or north west territories ??? But again its proven that growing near the equator produces the highest yielding plants because of the intense light and longer growing season, you only get 2 months of decent weather and already possible frost so our plants dont get overly huge compared to california grows where temps and sunlight exceed that of your northern partners lol so were stuck with strains like friesland Northernlights ,thunderfuck and so on
best i ever did was 1200 plants got 800 pounds wet 200 pounds dry dont get me wrong still got lots of dense nugs all we used for nutes was 19 -19 -19 ore or less same nutes used in corn :) you cali growers tend to hit them mountains and do huge grows with people living on site or close by it cost law enforcement there a **** load in resources to go and chop them even tho they no its there so they let it go , here most out door growers tend to them once a week or once every other once law enforcement finds them there is yellow tape and there chopped down now lol have seen to many times in years the yellow tape coming out to a grow lol

Yes Dr. We are fortunate in NorCal with LEO being on our side for a change. I have had LEO walk thru my grow site with 70 trees in full bloom only to say they look great!
In Nor Cal, growing is not a job or a hobby...it is a way of life.

Latest posts

Back