Hermie, or noob error?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom O'Bedlam

Reaction score
Check the pix. The plants are about 1 week into flower. Anyway, before going to work I look at the plants every AM just to double-check everything. THis morning I see what looks like a male pre-flower on an otherwise female plant. I didn't have time to go over the whole plant and I was afraid theere might be others ready to pollinate, so I amputated the small branch (okay, I panicked. I'm a noob.). You can see female pistils in the pic, but also a suspicious sac-like thing. I've since been over the entire plant with a fine-tooth comb and see NO other odd structures. Is this a hermaphrodite, and if so can I do anything other than kill it? :confused: The structure in question is at the tip of the pen...

IMG_2755.JPG

IMG_2750.JPG

IMG_2746.JPG

stand in your flower room, turn off the lights.

check for any light leaks. cover up all LED lights on surge protectors
and any other electronic lights in there.

if your room is light tight.

you got bad genetics..

What kind of sseeds and where did you buy them?

MrPuffAlot said:
if your room is light tight.

...and if the dark cycle has not been disturbed. I think that many new growers do not understand the importance of total darkness and not disturbing the dark cycle at all. Even a small light leak or a few minutes of light can affect your flowering girls.

If you have other females, I would get rid of the hermie. The reason for this is twofold. First is the obvious--the potential seeding of an entire crop. But second is that yield is more related to your lighting than the number of plants. For instance, depending on strain, you can expect to yield around .5 g for every watt of light, regardless of the number of plants you have (within reason of course).

the grow space is in a basement room that is light-tight, or so I thought. I bought the seeds in BC and I don't recall the name of the store. THey are Northern lights x5. I have 2 more females in there with no signs of anything bad. I guess I'll destroy the renegade.

THis is a bummer. That plant looked good. :( You 2 believe it is a herm, then?

Tom O'Bedlam said:
the grow space is in a basement room that is light-tight, or so I thought. I bought the seeds in BC and I don't recall the name of the store. THey are Northern lights x5. I have 2 more females in there with no signs of anything bad. I guess I'll destroy the renegade.

THis is a bummer. That plant looked good. :( You 2 believe it is a herm, then?

Yeah it is a bummer---but not as big a bummer as having an entire crop that is seeded.

I don't think that there is any doubt that it is a hermie.

well the damn thing is outside anyway. Ma Nature can deal with her renegade child...
:D

It's a hermie for sure, I've got a 6ft tall monster in flower and I noticed some balls on this female budding plant and cut em off. I haven't seen any since. I found them 1-3 days after I was messing with my electricty and the lights had gone off and on a couple of times.

Maybe you could just cut them off.

it doesn't look like a female that hermied... looks more like a male that simply started to drop his balls.

no, no, no...you can see the pistils in the pic with the pen in it, and in one of the other pix.

Latest posts

Back