Dehumidifier in grow tent, there is too much air circulation,can dehumidifier work ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlesweedmore

Reaction score
hi folks.

RH is very high where i live.it is now70- 80 % and RH may be over 85% in summers. i live in a coast.

i have 120cm X 120cm X 200 cm homebox XL tent,9 fem plants in it and all of them is 32 days old. i just transplanted them 11 L pots and as soon as they root,i will go to flowering period.

and so RH is my tent is between 60 -70 % in daytime and 70-85 % is at nights.

i have 1 extractor for now my current air flow :

inside of tent > carbon filter > cooltube > extractor > outside of house

i have an extractor and 2 oscilation fans work 24 hours for now.i will buy an extractor more for active intake to bring fresh air from outisde of house for hot summer months.

so my air flow will be like that in 2 weeks when i buy a new extractor for active intake :

extractor 1 : outisde of house > extractor > inside of tent
extractor 2 inside of tent > carb filter > cooltube > extractor > outside of house

and my questions:

1) there is too much air circulation,how can a dehumidifier do its work ? 2 extractor is always working.will dehumidifier really work for me ?

2 ) my tent is full with 9 girls.if i buy a dehumidifier ,i will have to get rid of 1 plant to put dehumidifier in my tent
frown.gif
. is there another way to do that without losing my 1 plant ?

3 ) 10 litre or 20 litre dehumidifer ,which one should i buy ? 20 litre dehumidifiers are expensive at twice than 10 litre ones . is 10 litre enough for me ?

4 ) fortunately , i cant see any powerdered mildew for now. my girls are 32 days of vegging and i will pass flowering as soon as they root.as i said, RH is between 60 - 70 % and more at nights.when that high humidity will begin a serios problem for my plants,when they have bud in flowering ?or is high RH always a risk for plants ?

i am asking this because i want to postpone to buy dehumidifier as possibly as i can.

thanks .

Be innovative. There is nothing on the floor of my grow room but plants and they are on 12'x12' dollies I made. Total of items suspended off floor:2 600w ballasts; 2 12' oscillating fans; 2 6" DIY carbon filters; an 8000BTU portable AC on a shelf in the far corner; and of course 2 lite shields. I'm sure you have your reasons, but why wouldn't you put a small portable AC in there rather than the dehumidifier? I know you live in the islands and shipping may be a exspensive for you, but it would solve 2 problems: heat and humidity. I've got both issues here in lovely FL that's why I went with the potable AC. Pics:

#1 004.JPG

#1 002.JPG

#1 001.JPG

humidity is about 60 - 70 % in daytime and 80% at nights for now in where i live . daytime humidity was 90% in last summer here. i live at coast ( yeah it is a island you know ) and humidity is very high here .

why dont i buy a AC instead of dehumidifer ? because my major problem is high humidity and i think dehumidifiyng capable of A/C units is not good as well as dehumidifier. but i have never used non of them so it is only a guess.

i also couldnt suspended my items because i grow in a grow tent .

i am thinking to put dehumidifer on outisde of tent and in front of my active intake fan . like this : ( look at picture 1 ,left picture)

Do you think that will work ?

or should i exactly connect them to each other ,like that :

(look at picture 2,right picture )

Ads__305_z.jpg

Ads.jpg

yep that should work. thats basically how i do it. my dehumidifier is outside grow box near intake. rh is 40% to 30%.

i would just go with an a/c unit, it would most likely dehumidify the air to an acceptable standard.

Im sure a dehumidifier would work, depending on the configuration, but may take some planning, like maybe putting it in the room your tent is in.

That may lower it to acceptable standards, im just thinking about getting an a/c unit for my tent with a thermostate, that way the tent is temp/humid controlled, and when its not on, my exhaust fan will keep negative pressure to make sure things dont smell.

let me know what you come up with.

@umbra ,

do you completely connect with your intake fan with dehumidifer each other or just put the dehumidifier at in front of your intake ?

thanks.

Jbonez, my AC unit I run in my rafter grow actually increases humidity in my space.

Sorry, Charles, I was totally self-absorbed thinking everyone has a room to grow in. I do only because all the kids got up and , thank God, got their own cribs. The AC I got--Compact Appliance online--is vented to the outside so it also helps with ventilation.

FOF: man, that's odd. Mine drops my humidity like a mother. Mine is a small unit and, as stated above, vents to the outside to cool the coil. Maybe because you're in the attic or something. I don't know--HVAC ain't my forte.

Bonez: it also has a thermo and an evap unit for the RO. I love mine and would never be able to control temps with summer coming. It's already hot like a mofo here. It also works with a timer if you'd like--some appliances won't come back on with out pushing a button after being repowered. I don't use a timer on mine because i work outta the house and turn it on about an hour or so after sun rise. It does have an internal timer but it's one of those things you set to run so long and turn off, or to come on a a certain time, but only has 1 setting.

Jeez, did I have enough coffee this morning?

Plus the unit is ANCIENT....not sure if that has anything to do with, or that its been raining here for pretty much 2 weeks str8......

Latest posts

Back