Getting High and Creativity --

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

robert eggleton

My name is Robert Eggleton and I'm a therapist in a children's mental health program. Rural economics of marijuana farming and medicial use are topics included in a satirical science fiction novel I just got published.

Rarity from the Hollow

robert eggleton said:
My name is Robert Eggleton and I'm a therapist in a children's mental health program. Rural economics of marijuana farming and medicial use are topics included in a satirical science fiction novel I just got published.

Rarity from the Hollow
Welcome to MP. Congrats on getting your novel published. Hope to see ya around the forum.

Congrats on your novel. Welcome to the forum. If thats your real name I would "be careful" of what you post on this forum. Just a heads up. This forum does deal with "certain questionable activity":D

Thanks for the reply. I'm an old hippie and haven't engaged in quetionable activity for years, so I wouldn't post about anything anyway. I do support the right of the site to exist. And, yes, that's my real name and you can Google it if you want to find out more about Rarity from the Hollow. Please pass the word. Thanks.

Robert Eggleton

Has the book been released to book stores? Or just like Amazon and places like that? If its at Barnes and Noble or something I'll pick it up today.

I'm trying not to advertise here, but since you asked, "Rarity from the Hollow" can only be bought online at www.fatcatpress.com. It's an ebook and the copyeditor is in charge of acquisitions for the University of Michigan, very selective about what projects she gets involved with. I don't know anything about her personally, but she approved the marijuana references contained in the novel -- so she must be cool. It's received several blurbs, some of which are on the site. And, it just got a review from a big time reviewer that will be out the first of August -- so he must be cool too. Here's an excerpt of that review:

"Eggleton has crafted a novel that deals with social commentary mixed with some eerie science fiction and a strange problem that Lacy has to solve to save the universe with the help of her family and her dog, Brownie. I can almost hear a blue grass version of Metallica while reading this. I expect to see more from Eggleton and Lacy Dawn. Good satire is hard to find and science fiction satire is even harder to find."

-- Barry Hunter

.."Blue Grass version of Metallica"..:p
Congrats on the book,
We appreciate your reluctance to 'advertise here'. "No SPAM allowed"//;)
But seeing as how you have joined in on the conversation and are an "active" member, I think a li'l self promotion can be overlooked.

Thanks. I'm a therapist in a children's mental health program and a percentage (10 - 50 depending on a schedule) of any proceeds from this project will go to a different nonprofit (Children's Home Society of WV) to prevent child abuse. It's my first novel and the marketplace is so conservative -- this one needs all the help it can get and I'm sure your readers would enjoy it if there's some way they could find out.

Robert Eggleton

hello Robert....nice to meet you :) congrats on the book.....still working on writing mine...

i am very interested in your thoughts on kids with ADHD if you happen to have ideas in that area

in Canada our Childrens Aid Society which is here to prevent abuse, is IMO a very intrusive and violating government association

in Canada....you can call and report abuse (which most times is false) and after that the person who has recived complaint will not be left alone by the Society until you let them into your house AND they go into the schools and pull your kids out of class (without parental knowledge)

complainants don't have to leave their name here.....IMO...if you got enough reason to call and voice a concern over a child you should be forced to leave a name and contact info ....i know myself i would never call and complain about someones parenting skills without having witnessed it myself or had valid proof (yes i saw a child beaten by his mom :mad: ) and will stand behind my complaints with my name

whoa....sorry for the long hello :eek: but it seems maybe you might be someone i would have a lot of questions for :)

Thanks
LL

Very cool involvement. In my day, it wasn't merely the right to "party" and the issue of legalization was always associated with higher purposes.

Specific to your question, medical use of mariujuana for self-medication of ADHD symptoms was not covered in my novel. I've met lots of kids who have reported beneficial impact. The medicinal self-administered usage for bipolar disorder (Tom -- a neighbor with a garden) was mentioned in "Rarity from the Hollow" and, again, based on input from others -- adults.

Personally, I believe that both ADHD and being high in class would interfere with learning in a structured setting -- one objective of attending school. The advantages of traditional meds, like Adderall, is that such reportedly and seems to help with focus. (Of course, because it is a stimulant.) While marijuana may or may not reduce symptoms of ADHD, I've never had a kid tell me that she or he got a good grade on a test because of smoking a blunt before.

I had input from a person in Canada that he couldn't buy Rarity online. (The husband of the owner of Deep Magic Forum -- so, it's a real drag.) If you decide to buy it, please let me know if you have any problems. I'm working my butt off on self-promotion and will slow down if there's a problem on the publisher's site.

I'll get back to you on child protection. It's been a very long day.

Robert Eggleton
"Rarity from the Hollow"

P.S. Don't forget to check out my essay. It's free online at: www.wingspanquartlerly.com.

Latest posts

Back