2)-600 watts vs 1)-1000 watts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of curiosity i ran 2000 watts in 187 sq foot room with 10.69 watts per sq foot imprint i vegged 5 weeks and made 7 pounds 72 plants what as my lumen per sq foot ????? 1 - 1000 mh and 1 - 1000 HPS i am guessing max maybe 500 lumen per sq foot ??? and how much is it suppose to be lumen per sq foot for actual ????

I'm sorry, but I call BULL. There is no way that this is a 500 lumen per sq ft grow....

Ok thinking of buying 2)-600 watts hps to go into a 6x8 room.
Will this be enough lighting.?
My flower room is 8'x8', I grow a 4'X4' SCROG, and I've grown several really nice crops with a single 600 watt HPS.
That said, I consider it a bare minimum. I've recently bought a second 600 watt fixture and plan on installing it for the upcoming winter grow.

My ballasts are dimmable, so I usually start out at 75% with the single unit in my previous grows. I'll start the double out at 50, and after a couple of weeks I'll jump them up to 75%, and then up to full potential.

It's just my silly way of growing, and in no way am I saying it's right or the only way, just my way. I could live to be a hundred and never feel I've earned the title "expert", but I've got lots 'o buds in jars and my methods work just fine for me.:)

Thought I should mention too that my first SCROG was with 12 plants. The next was with 9, and the last was with six. I didn't notice a significant difference in harvest between the three grows, so it's six at a time from now on.

For my 2 cents, a 600 watt hps is almost 10%more efficient than a 1k. So 2 600s will give far more light (almost 30%) and much more coverage with very little added heat ( less than 10%) and can be kept closer. 600s all the way!!!
I forgot to mention that they, the 600, is about 22% more efficient than a 400.
Peace, SM

TL;DR

I use two 600's in my 4.5' x 4.5' tents (two tents, 4 lights total)
It gives a larger footprint, and I have an added bonus of using two different brand 600w bulbs, which is giving my footprint a "cross spectrum" style due to one bulb having more in one area of the spectrum, and another end of the spectrum on the other. Also, if one dies, at least it will have the power of one other for the time that it's down (which should be short if you've purchased backup ballasts / bulbs / etc).

So again, it comes down to footprint for me, and two will always be better if you're asking which is better between the choices given in the original title of the thread.

My $0.02 :D

*edit*
After reading the first post, and not basing my thoughts off the TITLE, I would have to say... 2x 1000 watters in that amount of space would be the better thought.

Keep on keepin' on! :aok:

Well u all makes some good points. It all about trial and errors as we learn to grow and I know that to well..

My choice would be 2x600 over one 1000.

I am designing my new grow space. While 2 x 600w is good in a small space, I am increasing my space from 4x4 to 20 x 20 and I'm planning on 10 x 1000w.

I am designing my new grow space. While 2 x 600w is good in a small space, I am increasing my space from 4x4 to 20 x 20 and I'm planning on 10 x 1000w.

:baby::stoned::cool2::eek::shocked::spit:

I have a friend that did the same thing. We're allowed 12 plants here, and he only ran ten at a time, each with a thousand watt light on it. You could watch his electric meter spin like a 78 RPM record. Massive yields, though.

I like a mixed spectrum and have a 400w MH and a 600w HPS on a light-mover.

I'm not sure why light-movers are always over-looked in regards to wattage per foot of coverage. I've run mine for over a year and have equal growth wall-to-wall.

I like a mixed spectrum and have a 400w MH and a 600w HPS on a light-mover.

I'm not sure why light-movers are always over-looked in regards to wattage per foot of coverage. I've run mine for over a year and have equal growth wall-to-wall.
The first light I bought over 8 year ago was a dual. A Sun System 7 with a 400 mh and a 400 hps. Worked pretty good, veg with the mh, then flip the hps on and flower with both. Don't use it a lot anymore, mostly in the coldest part of the winter for the heat. But it works as good now as the day I bought it.
Peace, SM

Latest posts

Back