I'm Baffled

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blancolighter

Reaction score
Got a couple problems here. First problem isn't too worrysome, but here goes: The first symptoms have been showing up in most of my plants though. Many of my older fan leaves have thes little brown spots, olmost like pin prick size on otherwise healthy plants, no tip burn, leaf discoloration, nothing but the spots. This takes place during the vegging phase. I haven't done anything about it because the plants are otherwise healthy and vibrant. Pics for this problem aren't included in this post, but the problem can be seen in my LED Grow journal on one of the last posts.

Now we get to the meat of the issue. A possibility is its the strain, but I doubt it. I have one Mikado 4.5 weeks in and one 11 days in. The thing about Mikados is the grow these huge fatty buds that are ready in 6 weeks. I'm thinking its possible that these bud are developing so fast that they're just taking all the nutes from the leaves, but like I said, that seems a little doubtful. Now the buds of my 4.5 week old look plant look vibrant and full of resin, but as you can see in the first pic, the leaves are just fading away. The next pic is of a younger bud on the 4.5 week plant with its leaves goin down the same road...

These leaves, before they shriveled up looked like the leaves shown in the second picture, which just came off of my 11 day old.

Fourth Pic is a full shot of my 11 day old. Leaves are getting lighter and some leaves are turnin really deficient looking. The next two pics are closeups of the troubled ( I'm pretty sure they're deficient) leaves. The bigger, older fan leaves go first it seems, but there's still vibrant green growth at the bottom part of the plant. Also the plant is looking pretty droopy. I'm kinda thinkin I accidently overwatered the other day and thats why shes droopin, thats what it would look like, right?

I tried giving the 4.5 week year old boost in its nutes as it was younger flowering and all that happened was the tips of the sugar leaves burned and the rest of the plants stayed pale and deficient looking, so I'm relectant to try boosting the nutes of my 11 day old.

Well here's some details on my grow to help any diagnosis.

I'm growing in one gallon pots of pro-mix and feeding with the Fox Farms Three (grow big, tiger bloom, brig bloom) using the fox farms nute schedule. I'm using tap water which I dechlorinate and take the ph down to 6.5. The plants are under a 600w HPS which I keep about 15 inches away from the tops. My watering schedule goes: water one day, feed the next, do nothing 2 days and repeat. My flowering box (65 cubic feet) is hooked up to a 250 cfm fan and the temp stays 80 during the light on phase, and 75 during lights off.

I won't be too devastated if no one comes up with anything. The girl is still producing massive buds, I'm just thinking could I be doing better if I could keep the leaves green during the process, ya know?

Thanks for even reading this all, I'm a bit long winded.

DSC_1435.JPG

DSC_1429.JPG

DSC_1427.JPG

DSC_1431.JPG

DSC_1432.JPG

DSC_1430.JPG

i am not sure my friend..but they dont look well at all..Im sorry...you say 1 gallon containers...why such a small pot? I dont use anything smaller then 3 gallon for final home..JMO..but looks like a lot of plant for a little pot..good luck..some one will be a long shortly to help..thanks 4 shareing and have a great weekend

A good read; I'd say over ferting might be your issue.

Flush well with plain water and epsom salts.

smokingjoe said:
Flush well with plain water and epsom salts.

your spose to flush with water and hydrogen peroxide.

just a guess but id say over watering, how does the soil look after 2 days?
the last 3 pics dont show any "burn"

little brown spots that looks like pin hole is some sort of pest. I bet that by the time you get that far into flower they have destroyed your fan leaves. Also 1 gallon containers are too small.

Blancolighter, tap water often times has an excess of minerals and these minerals can cause a nutrient lockout. How about trying reverse osmosis or distilled water instead?

As 4u2smOke said, those pots seem quite small. Perhaps they're rootbound. Rootbound plants experience nutrient lockout also.

Another member of this group advised me to use Clearex once a month in order to help avoid salt build-up. Excess salt in the soil creates an osmotic imbalance in the soil, effectively bringing about nutirent lockout.

I don't know what the problem is, so those are just guesses on my part. The plant that is 11 days into flowering doesn't look too bad, except for the drooping. When plants flower they use up the remaining nitrogen, so yellowing of the leaves is normal.

take a look at the links in my signature. they will help alot. bigger pots are a must imo. it looks like you have a few different problems. one of the links has pics.

Hmm thanks everyone. Thanks for the link slowmo, put me in the right direction. Looks like my plants have a Magnesium deficiency. May not look this way from the pics I have posted, but a few other of my plants are showing certain signs of it too and it all adds up. I'm gonna mix up some epsom salts and cross my fingers. I think a Mag. def. also locks out Nit. if I'm not mistaken, so I think that accounts for the paling leaves. Well I'll post the result later, thanks again!

Alistair I think you're right, I think I have some harder tap water which might be locking out the magnesium.

remember that a calcium def looks just like a Mag. def. They should be treated at the same time to assure success.

blancolighter said:
Well here's some details on my grow to help any diagnosis.

I'm growing in one gallon pots of pro-mix and feeding with the Fox Farms Three (grow big, tiger bloom, brig bloom) using the fox farms nute schedule. I'm using tap water which I dechlorinate and take the ph down to 6.5. The plants are under a 600w HPS which I keep about 15 inches away from the tops. My watering schedule goes: water one day, feed the next, do nothing 2 days and repeat. My flowering box (65 cubic feet) is hooked up to a 250 cfm fan and the temp stays 80 during the light on phase, and 75 during lights off.

In my meager growing experience, I'd have to agree with some of the others, in that #1) you need a larger pot for the roots to expand & support your future crop. #2) Watering every 4 days may be unneccesary for her. - Wait another couple days longer? #3) Your feeding schedule sounds like WAY too often (even if that is by the FFN chart).

I'd be inclined to re-pot into a bigger container with UNfertilized soil, rewater throughly to flush-out the nutes that are left inside her, sit back and see if she starts to recover. - Don't water again until the soil feels fairly dry several inches below the surface...And I probably wouldn't add ANY more nutes this grow. - Looks like she may be done flowering soon? (I usually feed my plants, approx. every 2 weeks, or every other watering, basically.)

Good luck with her, and a little "green mojo" coming your way! :ccc:

I would do bigger pots, but I only have 5 feet of vertical space. I guess I should be trimmin the roots down? Oh and the pots are more along the lines of 1.5 gallows to two gallon, prolly still to small though eh?
I thought I was topping my plants to keep them at a suitable size...

Now as far as adjusting my feeding/ watering schedule FizGig, its working well for me and the rough looking plant (which I harvested last night, got some beautiful buds from it) is rouch looking cause its Nute deficient. It kinda disturbed me that two people told me to flush my plant when I had a nute deficeincy.

Really though, thanks to everyone who gave me the info to tackle this and see all the angles.

Your pot sizes are fine if you feed the plants right. In small pots you need to treat the plants more like hydroponic plants and feed more since they can't get enough from the soil. The only problem is not over watering. Luckily a flowering plant in a small pot uses the water quick. I flood my pots with 2 inches of nutrient solution for 15 minutes each light cycle. I use compost tea so it is not too strong.

Yes, the pot is too small. The one plant is root bound.

The other plant does look like some sort of pest or nutrient burn.

I can't say about most of the issues your have, but as you can see there are many that can offer good advice. My only experiance with small dots appearing on the leaves was due to spider mite, look on the underside of the leaves for really small bugs, probably a magnifying glass or something like that would help as they can be very small, and give the plants a good going over, I found that they tend to collonise one plant then move to the other, and tended to live closer to the light and heat at the top of the plant. They also make webs which will cover the part they live on, so spray a fine mist of water over teh plants, it really makes them stand out, well it did for me anyway. Hope you get it sorted out, mites where a real pain for me, and I had to destroy my last grow because of them getting out of control, even with the treatments I was giving them.

Lots of green mojo to help your ladies get them back on track!

blancolighter said:
Now as far as adjusting my feeding/ watering schedule FizGig, its working well for me and the rough looking plant (which I harvested last night, got some beautiful buds from it) is rouch looking cause its Nute deficient. It kinda disturbed me that two people told me to flush my plant when I had a nute deficeincy.
Well, I assumed you were overfeeding due to how often you described. Every 4 days you'd think you'd be providing what the plant needs, unless the nutes themselves were not efficient enough? - Or could specific plants require more of one nutrient vs. another? (and when you may need to make an adjustment along the way?) - I'm just speculating aloud now, cause I don't understand how it was under-fertilized as often as you fed them. (THIS part of growing, I'm still learning as I go.:cool:)

So anyhow, I'm glad to hear you got a harvest from her. - Such a rewarding high when you know you've grown it all by your "little" self! lol...Enjoy! :D

Latest posts

Back