A.k.a. Greenybeanymeany Grow #2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schoolboy420

greenybeanymeanies
Reaction score
Alright, as some may know my last grow journal was pretty bad, but I still managed to pull a whopping 3 grams from it. 6 years later my life has flip flopped around like you wouldn't even believe. I dumped a lot of the knowledge out since then. I don't have a whole lot of free time anymore, so I will try to study as much as possible, and keep up on here. I would like to keep on track this time around, and if you all would, so kindly, stop in every know and then, poke some fun and throw some advice and wisdom my way, I would greatly appreciate it.

Alright now on to this grow journal..

Start/Setup:

Strain: Unknown bagseed from some pretty good stuff. Only seed in the batch.

Alright, I started this out in a small little pot, with 3 75w equivalent CFLs.
The soil, Fox Farms Ocean Forest. All inside a little nonworking 8'' guitar amp that I gutted. Obviously, it quickly outgrew that and the pot.

I picked up something else from a thrift shop to transform. Picked up some Mylar, a bigger pot. I'm not sure the size of, I couldn't find it anywhere, and I'm wanting to keep this one as small as possible anyways. If I had to guess, I would say 1.5 gal pot. Half my bag of fox farms is gone, that's where I get my number. If need be later on, I will transplant and built a bigger box.

Now on to the plant thus far.

Alright a few weeks in(never kept track)
It was off to a great start looking nice and healthy.

View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1427356645989.jpgView attachment uploadfromtaptalk1427356676691.jpg
View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1427356693250.jpgView attachment uploadfromtaptalk1427356709003.jpg
View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1427356725444.jpg

And then I decided to go ahead and order some FF Grow Big and buy some 100w equivalent lights. I changed the lights and attached them to the side of the box for less wasted lumens. I used duct tape, because well if ya can't duct it then F*** it right? Well I f'ed it, that's for sure. I wake up and the nutes were in my mailbox. I mix up a little under an 1/8th of a teaspoon in 1L of water and I discover I didn't use enough tape, and the lights were sitting right on the plant.

This is the outcome

View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1427356969208.jpgView attachment uploadfromtaptalk1427356983044.jpgView attachment uploadfromtaptalk1427357000132.jpgView attachment uploadfromtaptalk1427357017440.jpg

Well, I go ahead and give the nutes and follow some advice I got on here to chop away the dead.

Well, I am still not sure if I chopped more than I needed to, but she seems to be doing a lot better now. A little funny, but I believe I used just a touch too much of the nutes, because I do see some slight nute burn, but nothing major[emoji6]

View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1427357125034.jpgView attachment uploadfromtaptalk1427357138062.jpg

These were pics from 2 days ago, I do believe. There has been some good growth since this, so I am no longer concerned about a dying plant[emoji2]

And new pictures will be up within 6 hours.

I'm debating on adding a few led lights to the mix. Not sure if CFLs and led can be used together or not, but I will be going to the store soon and I am going to look into it. If I can I will probably slowly work over to pure led and weed out the CFLs. On a fairly tight budget for the next couple weeks, so I can't just outright switch over.

Looks like you saved her. Too bad that light crashed on your plant. Never had a light fall, did have a sprout reach out and touch a light overnight one time and get fried. Last seed of that strain I had too.

Yeah, I am lucky, that's for sure. Or am I? Now that I think about it. Luck wouldn't have had the light fall in the first place.

But yeah, that sounds like it would be terrible!

I'll stick around, padawan :aok:

Even with the burnt and cut off stalk, you're STILL in better shape than you were in that last journal :rofl:

Honestly, things look night and day different from that other journal, woo! Can tell you've grown a bit over the years ;)

Haha thanks Doc.

I was really unsure of where all to cut, but everything that was burnt and anything flimsy and lifeless just made the cut. The stalk was thin all the way down to where I cut. I was hoping new life would start from that spot, but I guess I was wrong. Oh well.

And yeah that last journal was rough from start to finish. If you did a little digging you could probably find even worse pictures. The journal got started after our fellow MP'ers got me as on track as it could possibly get.

No, new life will not start from it. Just your "nodes" will continue on, and it's all in how you train those nodes, how your plant will turn out in the end. Good thing is, what's left is super healthy, and you'll DEFINITELY have a shorter plant hah :) Good for indoors.

It looks like you have 3 main stalks ("nodes") that will rise up. When they get a certain height, I would top those and then you'll be at 6 main nodes after they heal and rise up. So your next move would be to study topping if you have not yet. :aok:

View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1427382596292.jpgView attachment uploadfromtaptalk1427382624344.jpgView attachment uploadfromtaptalk1427382649198.jpgView attachment uploadfromtaptalk1427382680244.jpgView attachment uploadfromtaptalk1427382708413.jpg

You can see some nute burn going on, and definitely 3 stalks, this is going to be interesting for me to see how it goes. I'm gonna give it a little flush, looks a little worse than last night. And when I get home from work I'm gonna study on topping. [emoji2]

Nute burn seems to be mainly affecting that leaf, but a few tips are getting a bit yellow. I added an extra fan in an area above that's not visible but there are two above that get the air moving in there when the door is shut, not to mention some holes behind them to help with fresh air until I quit being lazy and make it a little less rigged ;)

Also, any suggestions for raising humidity? Its around 30% in the box, and if I'm not mistaken, that is a bit low.

Yeah, maybe just a good watering with little run off...then dump your run off so it doesn't reabsorb. When possible, you'll want to train down your tallest node to the level of your other two nodes. Try to keep the canopy level. With that said, you need to make sure everything is tall enough, so probably in another 7 days or so. :aok:

Lookin' good enough for sure! Let's be very gentle with nutes for a bit. I wouldn't be feeding higher than 550ppms..maybe more like 450ppm's to start. Also, I do not use nutes every time. I do end up watering nearly every day, about 1 liter per pot (when I do soilless). I generally do 7 days like this: day 1 nutes / day 2 water only / day 3 water only / day 4 nutes / day 5 water only / day 6 nutes (usually) / day 7 water. Some weeks I do nutes, then 2 days water, then nutes, then 2 days water... really depends on the plant. But I do not do nutes every day...or even every water. Some days I pick up the pots and there's enough weight to tell I don't have to do anything that day. It really goes by you reading the plant and really knowing the strain. The more you run a strain, the more you can learn about it :aok:

Also, 30% is just fine, in my experience.

You could buy a cheap humidifier right? I have no experience with raising RH, so I don't know how to suggest help. I bought a Vicks humidifier for $15.00 over the winter. I imagine you could put one of those in the space, and maybe put a timer on it? Turn it on for 30 minutes maybe 3 times a day.. and just monitor your RH to make sure on days that you DON'T need to have it going. Too much RH is bad, I've never heard of too little being bad, but I don't have the crazy amounts of experience that many have on here.

By training the top node down, do you mean by LST or topping?

Oh and I intended to introduce slow, let the plant tell me when. I figured feed, water, water, feed. Maybe even an extra water In there until I was sure I wasn't going to over do it. I did about half strength or a little under what the bottle says. Maybe I lost my head in the translation from gal to liter and tsp to ml. Lol. I made up my next feeding way light. Better safe than sorry, I suppose.

Alright. I gave her a flush. And I rearranged the fans. Temp went from 90 to 82, and humidity from 30 to 36%

By training the top node down, do you mean by LST or topping?

Oh and I intended to introduce slow, let the plant tell me when. I figured feed, water, water, feed. Maybe even an extra water In there until I was sure I wasn't going to over do it. I did about half strength or a little under what the bottle says. Maybe I lost my head in the translation from gal to liter and tsp to ml. Lol. I made up my next feeding way light. Better safe than sorry, I suppose.

Alright. I gave her a flush. And I rearranged the fans. Temp went from 90 to 82, and humidity from 30 to 36%

Yes, LST on the higher node. Should grow back up to light within 24 hours after you LST and hopefully be at the same height as the other 2 nodes. Then, once all is even and recovered..you'll want to "top" those 3 nodes. After recovery, you'll have 6 main nodes. I'd say you're good to go from there :aok:

What's your height max? Room dimensions, nutes used, strain etc... or is any of it in the first post and I'm just being an idiot? lol

BTW, huge thanks for all the advice Dr.GF

No worries. Glad I can help when I can help :aok:

*update*

I see you're unsure of strain and went into FFOF. Does that have nutes in it already? I'm not familiar as much with soil. Also, what nutes you using?

And you mentioned you picked up something from thrift store to continue in. What's the dimensions?

You know... you can get a decent grow tent for reallllllly cheap. If you're serious about this growing thing, like it seems you've always wanted to be... work on getting a small tent, a nice LED grow light or low watt HPS, and get some great advice to help you do something wonderful for yourself.

Beyond that, I, and many others will be here to give advice along the way. :aok:

Latest posts

Back