Brix's hydro LED grow tutorial

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I already bought a bag of plant it hydroton, but I'll just take it back and swap it out for the coco choir chips

Perfect! :aok:

As for the smart pots, the point will be to line your other pots with em. They don't have to be perfect, just have to cover your drain holes. Unless PJ is saying run them without plastic pots, but I hate Smart Pots without plastic support! :)

I'll be lining the bottoms of my pots with that material. I have pots from years ago left over.

These things are bright! And I see some method7's in my future. Everything is not supposed to be green!:rofl:

This controller is the shizzznit! It controls fans, lights, AC, (if you have one), dehumidifier, hydro pumps,and the hydro pumps have a selector switch to tell if you wanna feed at night, day or all the time. It controls Heaters in the night cycle. And the best part is the fuzzy logic, which shoots an infra red beam into the tent and measures the ppm's of co2 in the room and the ability to set parameters of the ppms of co2 wanted in the room. And then operates the regulator on the co2 bottle accordingly, but only when fans are off. Then turns off when fans come back on.

View attachment image.jpg

The funny thing is, I havnt even hooked up my co2 bottle and regulator. And look at the reading. 1729 PPM's???? Something ain't right!

Is it brand new or have you had it a minute? Guessing it just needs to be calibrated?

I run a Chhc-4 myself and has worked flawlessly for about 4 years now.

As for the pots, 1 gallon may be a bit small, but you could surly give it a go. May just need to adjust the amount of times a day you feed to get it right. Could also maybe just cut the top off the 5 gallon pots you have as well if 6 will fit in there. You want the top of the pot to be about 4 to 5 inches higher than the top of the flood tray.

And No Doc, I would not put a plastic pot around it. Wouldn't allow it to work properly then and dry off roots.

Is it brand new or have you had it a minute? Guessing it just needs to be calibrated?

I run a Chhc-4 myself and has worked flawlessly for about 4 years now.

As for the pots, 1 gallon may be a bit small, but you could surly give it a go. May just need to adjust the amount of times a day you feed to get it right. Could also maybe just cut the top off the 5 gallon pots you have as well if 6 will fit in there. You want the top of the pot to be about 4 to 5 inches higher than the top of the flood tray.

And No Doc, I would not put a plastic pot around it. Wouldn't allow it to work properly then and dry off roots.

I've had this controller and used it for about 15-20 grows in soil. Like approx. three years.

So, should I still use the rapid rooters for germination, or just germinate right in the coco chips?

Personally I love hydroton. I have a set up similar to yours minus the LEDs. I have 2 mortar mixing tubs side by side filled with clay running to a 140 qt ice chest for a rez. What I do is start cuts in rockwool 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 rockwool then put them in 4 x 4 rockwool cubes to veg in a smaller ebb and flow tub. Then I just kind of nestle the bigger cubes barely deep enough in the pebbles so that they get nutes when it floods. My Pineapple Express loves it. With the larger rockwool cubes I find that cleaning the roots out of the rocks is much easier. And I can veg in a separate spot.

Personally I love hydroton.

I loved it until I found out it does not hold Microbes, so if your dealing with things like Tea etc, it would be a wasted process.

Brix I swear by the rapid rooter plugs, love them and they are a breeze to work with IMHO

I also agree,,Rapid Rooters work great. I never cared for RW,,but to each his own.

I loved it until I found out it does not hold Microbes, so if your dealing with things like Tea etc, it would be a wasted process.
True. I run GH Lucas Formula without any additives and it works very well for me in hydro. I never have root issues either. Now on the other hand I do run some organic soil babies too so I get the need for critters there.

So I had a long weekend of jazz festing. Only had time to hang my carbon filter. Lol. I'll be going to get some coco choir chips tomorrow. I'll hook up my fan as well. More to come! Hope to be popping seeds by wed.

Latest posts

Back