Carbon Filter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything is the same except for a few details... Add to your list a 6"-4" reducer and another 8"-6" reducer, along with about a three foot section of solid 8" duct (round), and a 4"end cap. You will no longer need the 8" end cap. Keep the original design except start with the 6"-4" and 8"-6" reducers, place 8"-6" reducer 6" end on the floor, insert the 6"-4" reducer inside of it 6" end down. wrap chicken wire around the 4" end of the 6"-4" reducer and the 6" duct collar. now place the six inch "tube" of chicken wire, collar end first down in between the 6" ends of the two reducers, so that all three fit snugly together, after placing the panty hose over both tubes. place the 4" end cap on the 4" tube, and fill the void between the two tubes with the carbon, capping the 6" tube afterwards. Then place the 8" circular duct inside the 8" end of the 8"-6" reducer so that it incases both the 4" and 6" tubes. Place the additional 8"-6" reducer on the end of the 8" circular duct. This is for a 6" duct system... For a 4" duct system (like mine) simply add a 6"-4" reducer to each side. You can make this as long or as short as you need too ,just remember that the 4" tube must be shorter than the 6", and the 6" tube shorter than the 8" circular duct; so that they fit inside one another and do not obstruct air flow. This design works great for growers in tight spaces who can't place the canister of tradition al filters in the room, or want the bulky thing sitting outside to draw attention.. This design allows you to run vent from your area through the filter and from the filter to your air out. Will post pictures of this later, and If i anyone's interested, will post a revised DIY for this style filter.

Real78 said:
Where are people buying their carbon from? I know ebay but what kind is my question because buying from the store is costing me a lot more money then I want to spend. I am almost better off just buying a new Carbon filter.

You shouldn't have to switch the carbon out but once every six weeks or so... Are you running it 24 hours a day? No need really during dark time, assuming your grow area is fairly air tight and doesn't give off a heavy smell without the ventilation running... Other than that, I get my carbon from walmart, $9.00 fills it up (two containers of aqua filter or some crap) and lasts me almost an entire season!

I had to build one of these, for obvious reasons, but when I saw the DIY, I had to do it. Mine uses a 6"to4" reducer with the "hardware fabric" and storm window screen for holding in the carbon chips. For anyone thinking about making one, these are very easy to make. Although the sharp points of the metal screen is rough on the hands. Check the pics:

I tried to show all the different stages so that you can see each step in the process :cool:

carbon filter7.JPG

carbon filter8.JPG

carbon filter2.JPG

carbon filter1.JPG

carbon filter5.JPG

i have a question. Should i rinse the carbon before i put it into the filter? or is it good to go in as-is? seems like it should be rinsed to keep carbon dust from flying everywhere. what did you guys do?

thank you

edit: just re-read everyones posts. found my answer. *non-observant*

You can just take a shop vac and put the hose on the exhaust and blow out all the dust outside before you put it in your room. To reactivate the carbon you can put it in the oven for about 30mins at 400, of course this is after its been running for 6months and you don't want to buy new carbon.

Thanks a lot DLtoker, for passing on this info on a great DIY filter.

Hushpuppy, I went in your direction using a 6" to 4" reducer and window screen.
Nice little project for an old geezer like me while I wait for my little girls to grow into beautiful "Wonder Women".

This is just a little update on my DIY filter........

My plants are well into flower and there is no odor. This design really works well and is easy to build, the most expensive part is the activated carbon. I would suggest getting pellet type over the granule size, but both work. BTW I am growing a skunk variety and Y'all know dat stuff do stink good.

Stay safe & keep a low profile.

its a real pain for me, usually ordering new filters is cheaper than refilling from the petstore.

Hey Ruffy, I found my carbon at an aquarium supply store. I have also seen it advertised on e-bay & Amazon.

Stay safe & keep a low profile..........

i found all of mine at my local hardware store. i didn't even have to drive the 10 mins to make it to the depot. yes,home depot and lowes will have everything you need. you can find the reducer, clamps, & end cap in the cooling/heating isle. the chicken wire/fencing will most likely be in the gardening or pets department/isle. you can use screen or panty hose as the filter. i used panty hose.

my DIY carbon filter

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showpost.php?p=805861&postcount=27

Thanks Man, I took your idea and I have it hooked up I was week 6 into flower and when the lights were on you could smell the plants in the basement when you walked in the house, Hooked up the DIY Carbon filter and bye bye smell, I can't smell even a hint only when Im in the Room.

I finally built my own Carbon Filter today.....Just used this idea......but I made mine suck air through the top, that way air is being sucked in both ends rather than just one, like in the video.....turned out great....and all Im using is a 4' duct fan.....pulling air like a champ! :) Very pleased! :)
Turn your volume down...this song is so annoying....:)
$20 total build...as I already had carbon...:)
http://youtu.be/08LkkzPKVoc

View attachment 2014-07-04 18.37.05.jpg

View attachment 2014-07-04 18.37.11.jpg

how long is the filter in the tutorial and how much carbon was needed to fill it?

Latest posts

Back