Going to set up first grow...Help!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black elbows....light will not get in room

You can buy 4" irrigation pipe from HD. It is white outside and black inside and blocks light, unlike light weight PVC or dryer vent. This pipe and fittings will be substantially cheaper than using ABS fittings and is a heck of a lot easier to cut. If you use 6" you will find the cost of plumbing pipe prohibitive and will probably want to use insulated HVAC ducting or rigid metal HVAC ducting. My SIL used to be in HVAC so I got a great deal on insulated ducting. The insulated ducting is available about everywhere, blocks lights, can be cut to length, you can make long sweeping curves instead of short 90s, ande helps keep the heat being extracted in the ducting and not radiating into the room as it leaves. You can cut intake holes from the garage side and pull in cool air from there--you do not really need to pull air from outside if you do not want to. I pull air from my crawl space.

You should also be able

With the size of the room 15 Sq ft. think I could go with 4" exhaust. will have one elbow thru. Ceiling then 23'strait out. will take passive air from garage. Right now I pulled my back out and will be down for a bit:smoke1: No hurry have been waiting long time for this and want to try to get it right the first time...

many would say a 4" isn't enough for 9ft2 (3x3 tent) and that's with little to no ducting... a 23' run is going to add some resistance.

small, POWERFUL fans are LOUD
you can get the same air movement with less noise using bigger fans

all the above assumes you plan to match a 4" fan with the 4" ductwork...
not that I'm suggesting using 4" duct with a 6" fan, just making a distinction between "fan" and "duct"

I hear where you are coming from, will be going with the 6"..does not sound like it would be over kill and I like quiet!!

THG i am very curious, you can keep temps down when temps are outside in the 100's! I wonder, is pulling air through the crawl space that effective to lower temps from the 100's to something bearable like 80? a cool tube can help maintain indoor temps almost same as outside, but how do you lower temps THAT much without the use of an A/C? I would love to do that, temps over here rarely touch the 100 for only a few days , and still, it's quite hot for indoor plants in mid summer, and I manage to grow up relatively decent yields, but I never managed to maintain quality, even, quantity at those temps.
BTW I too am amazed at how you float through all these threads replying in details to all these questions, like it's something effortless. I wish that I had the luck of Rose to be able to meet you in person and smoke up together LOL cheers

mrcane, in a room with the dimensions of yours, I would go for a 600w in a 4x3, and use the rest of the space to do a chamber for vegging and/or cloning, and store stuff, maybe a chamber for drying my harvest etc... I would do the airflow to pass through the vegging chamber into the flowering chamber then to the exhaust outside. you have very VERY solid advice, I am jealous, as when I started out, there was nothing like MP, the closest I could get to RELIABLE advice was in these forums with a sea of threads from "nobodies" anyone who sprouted a seed or pretended to, could be there throwing his useless load of wrong info at me.

Rose that is great, i am looking forward :D

Mr. Cane, I am currently in the process of a general renovation and finalizing my growroom dialing it all in, i applied an idea that might help, I have vertical space which you seem to have too, so I built a false ceiling above the flowering room, and made an airtight window for it and made holes for exhaust in a way where the exhaust sucks the air from my vegging chamber, to my flowering chamber, then through the drying chamber above it, then to the outside.

So got sheet rock up waiting mud to dry looking what I will need for vent fan {cfm}? looking at 6" duct pulling air through a hood or tube ? passive air from garage. temps in garage 40s 50s winter little bit of the 70s in summer, Probably run 600 watt with dimming ballast. MH & HPS Oh room is 3' x4'x 9'tall
Peace in the valley:ccc:

@ 108 cubic feet... IMO anything over a 300CFM pulling through hood and filter should be sufficient
(feel free to add extra. "most" times you cant go wrong with more air)

Heat will be a 2-way issue if your going to try to run all year.
I don't think your going to have HUGE issues but in the extremes you should have a plan ready to heat in dead of winter or cool in peak summer.

You have great heat sources in those lights. Its going to be a matter of playing/learning timing etc.
IE on @ night to not heat in summer day and also to warm in the winter.)
Question is will that be enough.

Thanks Joe Have been looking at a Vortex that puts out 347 cfm . Shopping time option overload lights,ballast??? etc.ect. Yes I see that will be little challenge with the temps.

I don't think you are going to find a 346 cfm Vortex. I always recommend getting a speed controller with your fan. Get a 6" 448 Vortex and put a fan speed controller on it. I use one for my space that is about a foot and a half longer than yours. Do not just use a rheostat to try and control the fan speed, get a fan speed controller--they are under $20

The fan I was looking at was at G.H. vortex S line 6" 347 CFM And yes they state to only use a solid state speed controller where did you find the 6" 448 Vortex?

Check out the Hyper fans, they come with a speed controller designed for the fan and they will suck the guts out of a Vortex.

Yea Hyper fans are an EC motor and can be controlled to a crawl. The vortex didn't do well on the monster gardens video on YouTube . I'm sure making the big $ fan loose to the cheap model wasn't faked. The monster garden comparison videos are done well.

LOL--well, the Vortex has done exceedingly well for The Hemp Goddess's grows. I have used a Vortex more years than I can remember without a single problem. I am quite sure that the fan is at least 6 years old and maybe as old as 8 years old. It has had a speed controller connected to it its entire life.

You must be talking about the original style fan of the vortex yes those are awesome it looks just like the one they use to compare the new style that is a GIANT all plastic fan . EC motors can run a lot better at slow RPM and quieter. I have a cheap Chinese no name 6" fan with a speed controller on it.

Latest posts

Back