9.9 pH tap water!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you having troubles with your plants? If not just use ph down and call it a day.

I received an e-mail that had an attached excel file, which I can't upload due to the file type, taking pictures of them and uploading would be pointless, everything is measure din mg/L, or ND (non-disclosed?). It doesn't help much really.

DJ, I will get pics of my grow room, and put together a post regarding the process, and 20/20 of the process. I want to get the light going for 24/48 hours straight to get a handle on what the temps/RH gets up to maximum. My girlfriend is coming over after work and will be here all day, so most likely tomorrow or the following day I will have something.

Growdude, I have not yet germinated my seedlings! I will do that tomorrow night most likely after getting a handle on what my temps/RH is with the 1000w on 24 hours. I am trying to sort out the environment and the water prior to popping the seeds so that I am not stressing while they are growing.

Tact said:
Growdude, I have not yet germinated my seedlings! I will do that tomorrow night most likely after getting a handle on what my temps/RH is with the 1000w on 24 hours. I am trying to sort out the environment and the water prior to popping the seeds so that I am not stressing while they are growing.

To bad everyone wouldn't do this, even though it is constantly suggested to set up your grow, check your environment etc. There still seems to be a huge amount of noobies germing their seeds, and then frantically looking for help to fix the screw up that should have and could have been avoided in the first place! Props to you man, for doing it right!

Mandala seeds also recomends using vinegar in soil

Good Luck with your grow! Although it sounds like you are getting all your ducks in a row, and probably will not need it!

Growdude said:
Are you having troubles with your plants? If not just use ph down and call it a day.
:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:

since we're on the subject, does anyone know what volume of vinegar to add to lower ph by 1 pt? Tbsp, tsp? I'm just curious, I want to start using it rather than the chemical ph adjuster. And is there a natural additive to bring ph up?

These are great products...;) One container of each will last me for YEARS...

Earth Juice_NaturalPH.jpg

legalize_freedom said:
since we're on the subject, does anyone know what volume of vinegar to add to lower ph by 1 pt? Tbsp, tsp? I'm just curious, I want to start using it rather than the chemical ph adjuster. And is there a natural additive to bring ph up?

One. I don't think there's any magic formula. I adjust my water, then test it with a PH tester. From there I develop a 'formula' ,for instance, 10 drops per gallon 20 drops per gallon, a 1/2 tsp pergallon, etc. I leave the water overnight and test it again. Once I get it to whare I want it PH-wise, then I just follow that 'formula'. It is usually fairly consistent.

I believe that baking soda will raise PH.

BTW, I bought a ceramic water filter that attaches to my kitchen sink. It is excellent. I usually fill 5 to 6 2-gallon watering cans at one time with filtered water, cover them and leave them for a couple of days. My grows were fine.

cool Jersey dude thanks, I know the ph down I have now on the bottle it says 1 tsp/ 1.0 point. but if I ad that at first it will drop 3 points, so I just go a couple drops at a time, but it's a pain.

DOS Thanks, I've seen earth juice products but I haven't seen the ph adjusters, I'll have to ask my hydro clerks to order I think.

DonJones said:
DynaGlideGuy,

IF you don't want to use "chemicals" then I would use vinegar -- probably distilled vinegar because supposedly it has the least "contaminates in it -- simply because it is probably the cheapest "natural/organic" acid readily available.

Personally, I use dilute sulfuric acid (battery fill fluid NEW never used because used battery acid will most likely be contaminated with heavy metals, especially lead and the heavy metals might either harm the plants or be transfered to the bud and no one wants to smoke lead) further diluted 1 to 4 in water. At that strength I use 1.3 ml/gallon to pull the PH from 7.0 to 6.0. I've been told that even at that strength it is hazardous to handle, but I've never had any problem with.

The hydro shop PH down is usually phosphoric acid based. I've also heard a lot about using nitric aka muratic acid which is nitrogen based. It is available through home improvement centers like Home Depot and Lowes. There is also a potassium based acid but I don't remember what it is called. I don't necessarily recommend anyone who is the least bit uneasy about their chemistry and acid handling skills to try making their own PH down, but there is an extensive thread in the DIY section on making your own PH down.

WHAT EVER YOU USE OTHER THAN VINEGAR OR CITRIC JUICES ALWAYS ADD THE ACID/PH DOWN TO WATER -- NEVER ADD WATER TO THE ACID/PH DOWN! If you add water to acid, you risk violent reactions that can boil over,splash up into your face and even cause the container to "explode".

As to the aquarium PH down, compare the price with the PH down that you can buy through the hydro or organic supply places. Because I do NOT know what the active ingredient is or how strong it is, I can't really say one way or the other. If it is okay for exotic fish, then it probably won't hurt your plants, but that is just a guess.

Good smoking!

thanks for the reply

Best Wishes
"P"

legalize_freedom said:
cool Jersey dude thanks, I know the ph down I have now on the bottle it says 1 tsp/ 1.0 point. but if I ad that at first it will drop 3 points, so I just go a couple drops at a time, but it's a pain.

DOS Thanks, I've seen earth juice products but I haven't seen the ph adjusters, I'll have to ask my hydro clerks to order I think.

A easy way to get away from the "did I put 1 or 2 drops in, is to get a surrenge(sp?) use for insulin to use with the PH Up or Down.

Latest posts

Back