? i ask when stoned

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blondlebanese

Reaction score
can someone explain to me the difference between a hybrid and a cross between a sativa and indica. when you cross a sativa and a indica isn't that a hybrid? they are two cadigories. i'm missing something.

must be some good stuff you be hitting........I think your correct......... or it could be when you and I make seeds its a cross......... when a breeder does it.. it's a hybrid.:lama:

Thanks G13 i love learning new things, there is too much key words that can change the whole meaning. I thought if i cross i can call it hybrid...

I always considered a hybrid, a cross that has been stabilized.

I have wondered kind of the same thing before--when does a cross become a strain? I have decided, much like duck, it is when it has been stabilized.

hy·brid
ˈhīˌbrid/Submit
noun
noun: hybrid; plural noun: hybrids
BIOLOGY
the offspring of two plants or animals of different species or varieties, such as a mule (a hybrid of a donkey and a horse).
"a hybrid of wheat and rye"
synonyms: cross, cross-breed, mixed breed, half-breed, half-blood; More
mixture, blend, amalgamation, combination, composite, compound, fusion
"a hybrid between a brown and an albino mouse"
a thing made by combining two different elements; a mixture.
"the final text is a hybrid of the stage play and the film"
a word formed from elements taken from different languages, for example television ( tele- from Greek, vision from Latin).
a car with a gasoline engine and an electric motor, each of which can propel it.
noun: hybrid car; plural noun: hybrid cars
adjective
adjective: hybrid
of mixed character; composed of mixed parts.
"Mexico's hybrid postconquest culture"
bred as a hybrid from different species or varieties.
"a hybrid variety"
synonyms: composite, cross-bred, interbred, mongrel; More
heterogeneous, mixed, blended, compound, amalgamated, hyphenated

:yeahthat: The key is that the hybrid is a cross of 2 significantly different things. I think the "new strain" comes in when you have bred a hybrid that is different enough from anything else AND has been stabilized enough to maintain the significant characteristics of the original hybrid across 90% of the seeds through rebreeding. There are more finite terms to differentiate the variable results when breeding but to me the 2 terms(above) are more encompassing of the larger group of breeding results.

But I don't think its enough to cross my PC and Goji together and call the offspring a "new strain". JMO :)

Latest posts

Back