20/4 light cycle.... got a ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ekoostik_Hookah

420Member
Reaction score
hey, found this random info on MJ somewhere on the net
" The light cycle I recommend for vegging the plant is a 22 hours ON 2 hours OFF light cycle or what I will refer to as 22/2. Some use 20/4 and some use 24/0 for vegging but I think that stresses plants. 22/2 is working fine for me "

first of all, he left out the most common one, 18/6.
second, i have never heard of 22/2 in all my days.
But i was wondering if it was better to do 20/4 or 18/6 or 24/0

In the past i normally do 18/6, and i feel like 24/0 wouldnt be the best...because the plant grows alot in the off peirod, and the roots grow in the off period. so should i use 18/6 or 20/4. i want to try 20/4

This is what I heard.
18/6-Plants tend to grow faster because they get that 6hr's of dark to grow.
24/0-Plants tend to grow slower because they don't get dark periods.
20/4 or they other times never heard before!
Hope I helped!
Dro:cool2:

18/6 or 24/0 makes no diferance. I use 24/0 for vegging clones and 18/6 with HPS just so its dark in my room when I sleep.

Dr.Dro said:
This is what I heard.
18/6-Plants tend to grow faster because they get that 6hr's of dark to grow.
24/0-Plants tend to grow slower because they don't get dark periods.
20/4 or they other times never heard before!
Hope I helped!
Dro:cool2:

What "I" have found..is plants do not "grow faster" with a dark period. It simply "appears" that way, becuase the dark period induces elongated nodal growth.(ie stretching for light) In my observations, I get the same number of nodes(amount of growth), simply more compacted, tighter internodal growth, makeing the plant shorter.
I also am not a believer that "plants grow roots in the dark".. If this were the case, why is 24/0 the most widely recommended regime for rooting cuttings??
I do use 20/4 when running the HID, simply to allow a cooling period for the bulb/ballast.
Any "consistant" light schedule that includes 16 hours or more of lights on, will serve to veg.

thanks alot guys.
Ok so it doesnt really need a dark period, but i still think i would like to put it on a 20/4 light cycle.
24/0 just seems wrong to me. A plant in nature is never under 24 hours of constant light.( In most parts of the world). and even if you were growing in alaska, it wouldnt get a full 24 hours of light.
I think the plant should get atleast a few hours to rest, just like it does in nature.
so im going to go with 20 On, 4 off. if its not going to bother the plant.

Latest posts

Back