Can't find Dolomite Lime

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyinghigh

Grow Pretty Flowers
Reaction score
Trying to find Dolomite lime at the nursery has been tough to find and have come across other brands and that are granules, but I have gone to Lowe's and found some other stuff for Vegetable that was Powder that had Lime written on it and it came in 25 lb bag.. Sorry lost my paper with the names on it on waiting on Mp to get back on line..

Does it have to say Dolomite Lime "power" for soil mix.??

The grow shop here in Arkansas Didn't have Dolomite Lime at the time when I went the other day..

Is there a home depot or other similar store, Lowes or one of them may have epsoma dolomite lime, I use it its good. I dont know about "power". Im sorry you meant powder i think and it doesnt have to say that but powder may be better, more fast acting. But it should be dolomite lime only.

Powdered dolomite is fine. I use it when I decide to put a plant outdoors but I didn't prep a hole in Oct. for it. It is faster acting. It's also what I use when turn the vegetable garden over in Feb.

nouvellechef said:
No animal feed stores? They are straight goldmines.

OK I'll check the feed store for it..!!
What a Good mix for Happy frog soil.?
I got Perlite, Vermiculite, what else besides Dolomite lime.??
I lost a lot of info when I moved to Arkansas..

Thanks Nouvellechef

Flyinghigh said:
What a Good mix for Happy frog soil.?
I got Perlite, Vermiculite, what else besides Dolomite lime.??
depends on how you grow. liquid ferts, organic, chem, need to know what your planning. If wanting to do dry mix ferts, then you can add a ton of stuff, but if using chem liquid then forget about amendments.
Adding coco coir is much better then Peat moss. much more PH tamed.

Mutt said:
depends on how you grow. liquid ferts, organic, chem, need to know what your planning. If wanting to do dry mix ferts, then you can add a ton of stuff, but if using chem liquid then forget about amendments.

I know you and I have had this conversation before, but habits are hard to break. Organic ferts are also chemical in nature so when you say "Chem" nutrients, you include organic ones. I know you mean Synthetic Nutrients when you say Chem, but others may not. I'm not picking on you Mutt, but I really do dislike it when someone calls synthetic nutrients "chemical". Its misleading and inaccurate unless referring to all nutrients that exist.

I don't think I understand what you mean when you say that you can't use any amendments in synthetic nutrients. Would you mind explaining that to me and tell me exactly what you mean by amendments? Are you saying that you can't use anything at all in addition to synthetic nutrients? If so, I respectfully but strongly disagree.

You can use synthetic and non-synthetic together, but begging for disaster. Also with non-synthetic ammendments most times need microbial life to break those ammendments down to a point the roots can uptake them...the nature of well nature. Synthetic Ferts kill microbial life, FACT.

I am not here to argue chem and organic terminology in this thread. I just didn't want him doing like a lot of others new to the game of custom mix non-synthetic mediums by adding a bunch of stuff in conjunction of an improper liquid fert regimen which almost always end up with torched plants and too many ingredients to figure out what did what.

This is what makes people abandon this style of growing...way to easy to get carried away.

I can be "hardcore" about using the exact right term. but everyone here recognizes when I say chem...I mean "synthesized ferts from mined resources"
not "non-synthesized ferts from readily renewable resources" not billion years renewable.

To say synthetic and non-synthetic can't be used together is not true. but there is a reason why its not recommended. ;)

If he uses pre-mix non synthetic or semi-synthetic liquid ferts (fox farms), blood meal bone meal and guanos aren't really needed anymore, but kelp, greensand, worm castings would be good . If using like Gen Hydro's maxi line then just dirt perlite and lime is all that is needed. Adding further amendments can cause major problems within the medium,.

He asked a question leaving too many variables.

active amendments in 99% of non-synthetic (OMRI cert. organic) gardening
manure
compost
guano
ground crab shells and stuff like that
worm castings
kelp
and the list goes on and on and on each one microbial life can thrive in and utilize.

inactive amendments would be
perlite
vermiculite
river rock :p
stuff that is not actively used by microbial life. but does not make it OMRI unacceptable.

synthesized amendments (does not meet OMRI cert.) create a medium in which microbial life cannot exist and thrive in any amount that would be beneficial to plants. Can't say ALL are dead as they find life at the bottom of the sea with no light and sulfur toxicity with temps that life should not be present. Just not thriving to do the plant any good.

Thanks for expanding on your meaning, Mutt. I'm not asking for "hardcore" anything, just accurate terminology from people who are senior members and should use the proper terminology when addressing the new people who are *not* familiar with the difference between the terms.

Organic ferts are also "Chem".

By using the term "Chem" or "Chemical" or "Chemical Ferts" or "Chemical Fertilizers" or "Chemical Nutes" or "Chemical Nutrients", it will confuse the newer people and make them think that Organic fertilizers are not composed of chemicals, even though they are.

Dude, I'm not busting your chops. Your reply seems a little angry. Please don't misinterpret my comments as argument. They aren't.

This site is very much dedicated to teaching people how to grow properly. Part of that teaching is using the correct terminology for the things that are necessary to grow properly.

My mentioning the "chem" terminology is nothing more than an attempt to teach those who don't understand the difference.

Thanks again for your efforts man. Once again, please understand that I'm not trying to make you feel badly or even to correct you personally. I'm just trying to make it clear to those who don't already know the difference between "Chemical" and "Synthetic" when used to describe nutrients.

All nutrients are "Chemical". Every single one. Organic, synthetic, whatever.

All synthetic nutrients do NOT kill ALL microbial life. Some do, some don't. Some do at certain strengths, some do not.

I do agree that when concerned with microbial life, it's best to stay away from synthetic nutrients unless you really know what you're doing. When using Organic methods of growing, synthetic additives shouldn't be necessary anyway.

Thanks again Mutt. Please don't be angry. Nothing I said was intended to make you angry or hurt your feelings. Its just information.

Dude, I'm not busting your chops. Your reply seems a little angry. Please don't misinterpret my comments as argument. They aren't.

No anger in there. bro :)
Just eleborated more.
Yeah I got into the habit of chem and stuff labels after reading and reading and reading post after post using the mis terminology.

I just elaborated on the use of mixing synthetic and non synthetic. So you knew where I was coming from.

I've seen some wild fert regimens over the years...some people do really well mixing the two (Insane the old member here was the wildest) He wouldn't share his method on any public forum as he knew it could lead unwitting newbs down a dismall path if they didn't know what they were doing. I have the recipe in my archives and I'm scared to try it LOL.

All synthetic nutrients do NOT kill ALL microbial life
why I elaborated on that by saying it doesn't kill ALL of it, but for the most part 99% of the purely synthetic ferts do more damage then good with organic mediums.
Can't say it kills everything..heck earthworms can process used motor oil LOL Microbial life is found in the coldest darkest uninhabitable places on the planet. Tough lil buggers. But when gardening amount of activity is key not just presence.

the biggest thing is the affect on the rhizosphere when it comes to mixing the two.

I was reading an article the other day that "organic teas" might not be as beneficial as earlier thought. The dry mixing creates more colonies and tea is just a quick fix or easy maint. is where its most beneficial. Think its still a new thing dealing with aerobic teas and bacterial teas opposed to forming the colonies within the medium.

Def. gray areas in this hobby.

Mutt said:
earthworms can process used motor oil LOL

Mutt's Got Worms!

worm1.gif

worm3.gif

HOME DEPOT = LillyMiller's SuperSweet or Soilsweet. Way mega inexpensive and have used it for years.

StoneyBud said:
Mutt's Got Worms!
damn that one night stand...swore she said crabs...i figured some RID and all was good. :eek: :p
I shoulda known some chick lookin like "Eddie" off iron maiden can't be good :eek:

try an aquarium store , dolomite is used as bottom gravel in salt water

Flyinghigh said:
Trying to find Dolomite lime at the nursery has been tough to find and have come across other brands and that are granules, but I have gone to Lowe's and found some other stuff for Vegetable that was Powder that had Lime written on it and it came in 25 lb bag.. Sorry lost my paper with the names on it on waiting on Mp to get back on line..

Does it have to say Dolomite Lime "power" for soil mix.??

In my area ONLY Lowes has the powdered dolo. On the bag though it says GROUND DOLOMITE LIME. Usually it's right next to the same size bag of the pelletized dolo lime. It's ~$5 for a 40# bag.

Go to Lowes and look for Ground.

LOL If the snow melts soon, I can get to mine and tell you exactly what the label says.

DD

Droopy Dog said:
In my area ONLY Lowes has the powdered dolo. On the bag though it says GROUND DOLOMITE LIME. Usually it's right next to the same size bag of the pelletized dolo lime. It's ~$5 for a 40# bag.

Go to Lowes and look for Ground.

LOL If the snow melts soon, I can get to mine and tell you exactly what the label says.

DD[/QUO

Yea I was there and they didn't have any. And they didn't carry it.I'll check another lowel
Thanks!!

Latest posts

Back