Little bit of a jam

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenThumbPicasso

Reaction score
So, this is my first grow in a true tent. I have 6 ladies under a 600hps after a few month veg under 400mh 5 are topped and tied along with some supercroping.. The undergrowth is out of hand and I'm needing to flip to flower. I don't want to waste energy on bottom growth and need to thin out. I have so much going on that my brain just farts when I look in the tent...lmao, where do I begin? What can I remove without damaging my plants? I was going to scrog but watering will be an issue. I'll plan ahead for next round. Everything I cut out will be wasted since I have too many cuts already. So I do whatever I need to do. Here's some pics. Thanks for the help in getting my brain unscrambled.

b4b2a243d6d24ef7469a8e9b2ca540f5_zpse3f0a8b1.jpg

6825bedd836b058e59718eb8e56d0699_zps0e209a0d.jpg

6e2bf066989f7924e65cf0697c7407fe_zps483d2cbe.jpg

44e8ddf0702b8740087fe1f8c268561d_zpse58b1659.jpg

Sorry for the lines. I tried to get some blue spec mixed to wash them out but only helped a little

in other words get rid of 1/4 of each plant lower leaf and sucker buds
.. that will form on branches and keep going under in flower as they will want to produce small sucker buds ,, so keep clipping them off,, stretch out plant how ever you can more or less you want as much buds growing where lights are

in other words get rid of 1/4 of each plant lower leaf and sucker buds
.. that will form on branches and keep going under in flower as they will want to produce small sucker buds ,, so keep clipping them off,, stretch out plant how ever you can more or less you want as much buds growing where lights are
Right on. The pics help a lot. And nice buds! I'll start hacking away.

LOL--Not everything you cut out will be wasted--the energy normally sent to that part of the plant will now be sent to the top of the plant. You are not sacrificing anything. You are simply trimming to get rid of the small little popcorn buds that are hard to manicure and putting that into the other parts of the plant. Basically, a plant is going to produce x number of grams depending on strain and your growing environment. So, while it will probably not help you reap more bud, you will have nicer colas and far fewer tiny buds that are hard to trim.

While they are still in veg you can go in and cut out any lower branches and/or smaller branches that are under the canopy where they aren't getting any light. As they are in veg, doing this will not stress them. Give them about 4-5 days after trimming then flip to flowering. During the first few weeks of fflowering, you will discover more lower branches and new branching that won't make it to the light. You can still cut these out but only cut out 1-2 small branches every few days as doing this during flower can stress the plant. Only taking a 1-2 every couple days (that you are certain will not reach lite) will not stress them.

Once the budding is in ffull swing and you are seeing flowers everywhere (typically around 4th-5th week) you can go in again and snip out the lower buds that are along the stems and trunk of the plant as these are only sucker buds that will not mature. Again, don't try to clean up the whole plant but only take a few at a time(from each plant) so you don't stress your plants :)

Interestingly, the lines in your pics comes from the HPS light being low frequency, and the camera being high speed. That allows the camera to pic up the resonance of the HPS light frequency and show it as lighter and darker waves in the pic. Whats really interesting is to place a large fan under that light and then adjust the speed of the fan until it matches the resonant frequency off the light. When it reaches that resonance, the ffan will appear to be standing still. :)

Awesome info! Thank you so much. Its all stuff deep in my head, just having trouble getting to it lol.
Very cool to know about hps. I'll have to play with a fan

Well, I started trimming out the bottom very carefully....then I broke a main off my Cali hp...lol, then I went to town. I removed the bottom third and prolly a little more....the broken branch actually helped a lot with room. I'm now debating on adding a 400 hps or mh alongside the 600. I'll prolly shut down after this grow is done till august and just veg my cuts. I have a feeling I'm gonna be really busy with work this year. I close in September so I'll get to play again all winter...lol

All trimmed out. A little droopy from a heavy watering but they needed it

9eb5c60ace9f1ab41d4f6781332c76b2_zps2967e5f4.jpg

This is the only one I didn't top
32d3718afb6770d1708483ed3b6ff0fa_zps853a9bd6.jpg

4b0218c3023200b1316b0200c41bdcd1_zpsc76ce6f4.jpg

Oh, and if you are ever in a jam and need a fan for a cool tube, 50$ at lowes and it works great. I can touch the glass and very little heat is felt. I run it on 2 for my 400.
0e1641d887fa0e1ead57e70849d3f3e2_zpsd022836d.jpg

Hey could you through up a link for that fan?

It's also great for room circ. with the 3 speeds and adjustable aim, it gives you lots of uses. I push mine through the cool tube and about 8' of 6" flex with an ozone unit to an old closed off chimney. Tube stays cool enough to lick

It's also great for room circ. with the 3 speeds and adjustable aim, it gives you lots of uses. I push mine through the cool tube and about 8' of 6" flex with an ozone unit to an old closed off chimney. Tube stays cool enough to lick
nice creativity, i bet theres a rectangle to 6" round duct adapter that might fit on that fan too.

The trimming looks good :) Good job on the ffan. If it does the job then yer good to go.

nice creativity, i bet theres a rectangle to 6" round duct adapter that might fit on that fan too.
Yep, there is. I have one for each end just haven't gotten the time it use them. The fittings are almost perfect for the fan. The other fits nicely to the exhaust chimney

Great job on the trimming. Glad the fan works on your 400s.

It's doing a perfect job on my 600 also. I wasn't sure if it would but glass isn't hot. Keeping the temps under 70 so I'll take it lol
Thanks! I'll give them a week and flip the lights.

Don't know if you got a dollar store or some place where you can buy some metal coat hangers ??? i would buy a few sets of them then open them up so its one long piece of metal cut it in 3 equal pieces as well as some 2 equal pieces then on one end make a fold this way you can hook a branch then spread it out and put other end in soil might help opening up your canopy i do this when i train my plant using coat hangers as well as string in veg works out pretty well for small short plants when i used to SOG

View attachment DSCN0678.jpg

View attachment DSCN0589.jpg

Don't know if you got a dollar store or some place where you can buy some metal coat hangers ??? i would buy a few sets of them then open them up so its one long piece of metal cut it in 3 equal pieces as well as some 2 equal pieces then on one end make a fold this way you can hook a branch then spread it out and put other end in soil might help opening up your canopy i do this when i train my plant using coat hangers as well as string in veg works out pretty well for small short plants when i used to SOG

That's awesome work DR

Latest posts

Back