Greetings from the great white north

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monchito

Reaction score
Hi everyone, greetings from the great white north. A friend of mine gave me a bunch of seeds and I did what any passionate horticulturist would do. I planted them. I do smoke but I must confess I planted them more cause I like plants and wanted to see my results. I planted 25 seeds and I'm now left with 5 plants which I think are all female (one is kinda up in the air) now before you answer my questions here's something you should know. I've read a ton of articles in the last few months and I feel non are really my situation. I have no intentions of a high yeild for my first crop I really just planted them in the cheapest way I could find at the time. (regular pots, no special soil, no special water, etc) this is really my learning crop before I spend on anything (lights, fertilizer, etc) I've grown them outside and the sun and water is all they've gotten. That being said I've now fallen in love wit them and hopefully I can get something out of them. I have two indoors and 3 outdoors.

Here's a few questions.

1- Since I'm growing this with absolutely the most basic of methods can I still get something out of them?

2- I've started looking into grow lights and I don't want to spend a fortune I've found this online and it has great reviews any comments?

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B001UV6P9I/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

3- Can I save the male plants and make something out of them like tea, oil, cooking? I just can't get rid of it, it looks so nice and strong I mean worst comes to it I will just put it far away from the females and save it for seeds?

4- I'm not following any of the rules I've read about, this is really plant the seeds, give the plants water and see what happens and learn from this experience. example rules, how much controlled light/sun they get, right now they get whatever the day gives them. They are growing in rather small pots like 8 inch pots. Can I still get something out of them?

5- My next grow will probably happen in winter time, I have a small closet where I will setup. What is the absolute minimum I can get away with? I will obviously need a light.

I appreciate your advice and time, cheers.

Here's some pictures (don't judge, remember what I said) http://imgur.com/a/EwaHJ

This is the one I can't tell if it's male of female or maybe both?

http://i.imgur.com/0bIB1kV.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to MP Monchito! So glad you found us and I can tell you already have the growing bug.. That is wonderful..

1. Yes, if we help you now to feed the girls and give them good soil.

2. Glad you are checking with these peeps before you buy. They will give you good advice.
For vegging indoors I would reccomend a T5.. can't beat them for vegging. really.

3. Throw him away in a plastic bag that is sealed. He doesn't make seeds he makes pollen and will ruin your girls. You can toy with "breeding" after your first grow. lol

4 If you want to grow in soil, get some Fox farm ocean forest. Easy peasy, don't have to add nutrition for a while..

5. Congrats on your babies. The last pic is too soon to sex. she/he isn't mature yet. They need to have alternating nodes before they are mature enough.View attachment ultranating nodes.jpg

Welcome to MP and growing.

1. Unfortunately, cannabis is a high engy plant and there are some things that are absolutely necessary if you want to get anything at all from them. For instance, you are absolutely going to have to feed them. And not just anything. Look for nutrients formulated for cannabis.

2. I would stay away from that type of light (compact flourescent lighting). It uses a lot of wattage per lumen, thereby making it the most expensive and the least productive of all the lights we use for growing. If you want to use fluorescents, look at T5 fluorescent tubes. Check around. I have a 2' 12 tube T5 that I got a year or 2 ago for only $125. Uses 300 watts, puts out 30000 lumens (or 100 lumens per watt). The CFL you linked does not show how many lumens, but it is probably around 7500 and uses 125 watts (about 60 lumens per watt). And the T5 will spread the light better over a larger area. The CFL is only big enough for a space about 15" x 15"--not a very big grow space.

3. Male plants are good for nothing except pollen if you decide to breed--which at this point, I would advise against. They do not contain enough THC to make them good for any oil or tea. Male plants do not produce seeds. Only pollinated females and hermies (plants with both male and female flowers) produce seeds. Hermies should be culled from the garden and destroyed. I know it is hard to throw plants away, but the first time you have a totally seeded crop because you could not stand to part with a male, you will understand. Toss males into the compost pile.

4. IMO (no offense), it is silly to do what you are doing. I do not believe that you can actually learn much about how to grow cannabis by doing nothing. I can tell you that unless you have exceptionally rich soil, the plant will not survive with just water. Like every living thing, it needs food. And the right kind of food. The "rules" do matter. Outside, mother nature decides things. The plants will start flowering as the days get shorter...if they are given necessities...and finish sometime in the fall. Indoors, you control the light. Plants will not flower until the lights are cut back to about 12 hours a day. This is not really debateable or up for discussion. It is part of the biology of the plant. I have seen people mess with other really complicated light schedules, but really 12/12 works. Plants grown in small pots without a lot of space for roots will be stunted and never reach their full potential. I guess that I am not understanding going to the trouble to grow plants and then not doing what you know they need...

5. This question really has no pat answer. What would be the absolute minimum for one person would not be for another. Also, how big is your small closet? Absolute minimum requirements for me would be 3000 lumens per sq ft of blue light for vegging and 5000 lumens per sq ft of red light for flowering. A centrifuge type exhaust fan that would exchange the air in my space once a minute or more. Also, nutrients formulated for cannabis, good soil, and good genetics. Where did your friend get these seeds? If they are bagseed, you have a distinct possibility of getting hermies. Remember that this is about a 4 month process that you are going to spend a lot of time, energy, and money on. Why not seriosly try to get something for all this time, energy, and money by doing what you know cannabis needs?

I cannot see signs of sex on any of these plants--how have you determined that they are female? If they are outside, it will still be a while before they show. You can see, though, signs of deficiencies and/or insect damage. Not to be discouraging, but I am afraid that if you do not do something to (for) these plants that they will not survive the remaining 3 months or so that it will take them to finish. Truly cannabis cannot survive on water alone.

Welcome to the best growing forum on the internet!

You will learn a lot here. I have been growing on and off most of my adult life. When I was younger I thought I knew everything about growing.
As I got older I realized there is so much to learn about this plant and the ways to grow it. I will always be learning new things and this forum is a great help.

Follow the advice of the experts here and have fun growing! :vap-leafy_wave:

Yep and we will even post twice to make sure you get the info needed. Lol,,,just messen wiit ya THG.

Okay, okay WH--I deleted the duplicate post. LOL--I guess it was just one of those Irish Cream and big bowl mornings. Boy I love being retired!

Welcome to MP.
I know what you meant about growing the plant just to grow it. Growing them is the funnest. After a while the plant and you will build a relationship. The greatest plant on the planet to grow.

Latest posts

Back