New to Grinders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend of mine started making fun of me old reliable scissors/fingertips in shredding my weed and told me I'm an idiot for not using a grinder. He could have said it a bit more politely but I've read there are some advantages of using a grinder that actually improve the potency of the smoking experience. However, since I've never used a grinder, I was hoping on getting some direction. I'm assuming avoid plastic and go metal?

haha, i knew it before i clicked on the link. Kraven only plays with top shelf stuff. :joint: i use a grinder, nothing fancy though. i like ground weed vs. broken up. the smaller pieces burn more even in the pipe bowl.

It depends on how much you grind. If you're just grinding enough for a couple bowls or a joint, the one above is great. I have several and all the quality ones work great.

However, I often grind enough for 8 or 10 joints at a time (I'm a pretty heavy smoker) and the best hand grinder I have found is from Bed Bath and Beyond. I think it was $15. Pretty cheap. I'll see if I can find a link.....

Hmmm, couldn't find a link on BBandB so maybe they don't sell this model any more. There is a picture of it in the first post in this thread...

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72511

I adapted mine by securing a bolt to the top section. Then, I can put my power screwdriver on it and grind away. It will take a quarter ounce of buds and turn it into nice rolling material in about 1 minute. And, no wrist fatigue. :)

If you buy one of the styles like Kraven showed above, make sure you buy a metal one. The plastic ones are garbage. I have 3 metal ones and they all work fine. The plastic one broke on the first small stem. LOL

That thing looks awesome. I love the clear sides and top.

The ad didn't specifically say that the teeth were aluminum and they look clear in the picture.

Are the teeth aluminum or plastic?

I may order one just because. LOL

That thing looks awesome. I love the clear sides and top.

The ad didn't specifically say that the teeth were aluminum and they look clear in the picture.

Are the teeth aluminum or plastic?

I may order one just because. LOL

The teeth are Aluminum Hackerman. They come in different colors..

My Wifes Grinder makes some fking awesome kief..

Yep,,,thats what her Chamber looks like. I smoke that **** and its lights out,,zzzzzzzzzzz

The thing I like about using a grinder is that it saves all that kief that otherwise ends up on your fingers, scissors, or rolling tray. Check out Amazon. They have a wide assortment in different colors.

Thanks for the suggestions! I've actually heard of the Santa Cruz Shredder before but didn't know it was so pricey! I might start with something on the cheap side to start, just so I can see if I like it before I invest in something higher quality. What's the approximate price range I should expect to pay for a grinder that's not utter crap? I'm not really interested in plastic but this site has some cheap wooden and metal choices - don't know the quality though:

http://www.marijuanapackaging.com/smoke-shop-supply/grinders.html

I have a cheapo aluminum grinder like that and it works fine, albeit I have not used it much.

Seems to grind fine. Where it fails is the quality of the machining. So, the lid does not screw on and off as smoothly as my higher priced models.

I have a cheapo aluminum grinder like that and it works fine, albeit I have not used it much.

Seems to grind fine. Where it fails is the quality of the machining. So, the lid does not screw on and off as smoothly as my higher priced models.

So you haven't had any weird issues like aluminum flaking into your bud? That's kind of my worry.

So you haven't had any weird issues like aluminum flaking into your bud? That's kind of my worry.

Never had anything like that happen. I have had the plastic ones break off completely and I have had cheap, stamped metal ones bend. But, I have never had one of the machined aluminum ones break or flake.

Like I said, it was mostly in the machining of the threads where I saw a difference. Otherwise, the cheapo one and the good ones are pretty close.

I have changed out all of my aluminium toys because of research into alzimers. Have a BPA free, plastic grinder with diamond shaped teeth so it cuts instead of tearing the material.

Latest posts

Back