NV's organic soil mix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks alot Wetdog, i appreciate it man, i thought pro mix was made from dirt, i dont know anything about it, but i have a 3.8cf bale, and i have a bunch of perlite too, so im good to go, ill get mixing!

How long does it take before you guys notice your soil begin to cook, im nervous i did something wrong and mine isnt gonna do anything, its been over 72 hours since i put everything in the bin, when i can expect to see something happen?

Thanks guys!

I don't think you will see anything. You can get a compost thermometer and watch the temp rise. Mine is setting in the cold weather not doing anything. But you have warmness where you are so it should start cooking. Did you wet it?

Thanks for reply rosebud, ill have to get a thermometer and check it in a few days, i wet it, i read you should wet it till its like a wrung out sponge, so i did that, and just waiting for the magic.

Mine is on a tarp by my front window in my living room, so it should be warm enough, but my wife said the second it stinks its going outside, so i hope it stays warm enough :)

IE Yes to Peat Moss.

My Mix is 2x 3.8CF Bale of Premier Peat Moss
1x 4CF Bag of Compost
1x 4CF Bag of Perlite
1x 4CF Bag of Vermiculite

Makes roughly 19CF

nouvellechef said:
No it wont break down too early. By the time a sexed girl hits the hot medium, she should be of descent size, 4 or 5 nodes. At that point shea ready too feed. As far as how much hot soil for outdoor. That would depend on plant size. A plant yielding a few pounds, gonna guess 32gal of hot soil. Then down from from there. I would top dress, 1st week flower as at that point she will be chugging the nutrients.

You top dress with the hot soil mix?

Thanks for the mix suggestion Drifting, ill have to try that out, i just used 3Cf of Peat added a bunch of perlite and my amendments, i just went and opened the bin and stuck my hand down in it, and it is very very warm in there, so i guess i did it right, now i am very happy and cant wait for it to be done cooking!

drfting07 said:
You top dress with the hot soil mix?

No. Not really. I do top off as over time of watering the soil level falls a bit. But literally prob 3% of total volume of container.

Iron Emmett said:
Thanks for the mix suggestion Drifting, ill have to try that out, i just used 3Cf of Peat added a bunch of perlite and my amendments, i just went and opened the bin and stuck my hand down in it, and it is very very warm in there, so i guess i did it right, now i am very happy and cant wait for it to be done cooking!

Its working.

IE, I like the compost because it establishes the beneficial bacteria. I always need some kind of real DIRT. I feel funny without it.

Nouvelle, What do you use to top dress in flowering?

drfting07 said:
IE, I like the compost because it establishes the beneficial bacteria. I always need some kind of real DIRT. I feel funny without it.

Nouvelle, What do you use to top dress in flowering?

The hot mix

NC, I misunderstood. Didn't mean for you to post the same answer twice.

Also, I just realized my math is off in that mix. That is closer to 22-24cf once its cooked and has done its thing.
Keep in mind this medium breaks down and the initial 26cf you put in wont be the same amount you get out. That's in most cases.

Can someone tell me how many pounds of rice hulls is in two cubic feet? Thanks

Skylighter Fireworks sells rice hulls. A quote from there website: "When coated with burst-powder, rice hulls are used to break shells. We pack them (the hulls, without the burst powder) in 4 pound bags (about 5 gallons volume)"

I cant say this for rice hulls in general but from skylighter you would need to buy 3x 4 lb bags to make up 2cf for a full batch of Hot Mix.

On another note, my father and I built mortar shells and set-up firework displays at a local club near me. Skylighter was always one of the vendors there, and we went to his wholesale shop often. Funny they sell the same product I need for this hobby as well.

Exact mix.......... Droopy Wet Dog

031.JPG

028.JPG

026.JPG

025.JPG

I will say, the deformed buds have taken on a wild looking shape, trich development and stank. Just not alot of bud. The mix is just too hot or too something.....

035.JPG

036.JPG

037.JPG

038.JPG

039.JPG

im thinking you didnt compost it enough, basically u didnt add enough water to the mix during the 30 day cook! 20-30 gals through out the 30 days!

i had this issue last run, the mix needs to be wetted down pretty good for those 30 days to cool it down! im mixing a double recipe as we speak, im adding in 20 gals of molasses water for the the first week.....! let it dry up a bit then add more.....make sense?

add some molasses water to the mix add cook it another 2 weeks, then plant in it again!

Latest posts

Back