NV's organic soil mix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cant tell from your pics MM. But that plant is tiny in that 5gal bucket. That was the only one in there for 2.5gal of hot mix? If so thats a good cause for it to burn up. And yes. The mix needs to be pretty moist throughout cooking in right temp range to compost enough. Otherwise if not, when you put the plant in a mix of 50/50 that has not been broken down. The nice warm temps and you watering when it goes in the room will activate the microbes releasing a very hot burn. When the roots hit it, they simply cannot handle it. So IDK. I know it works.

I will post veg pics tonight. Hope your sitting down. Extreme health. I will also get some day 50 flower pics.

I'll post veg pics too later when I get home.....super über healthy plants! So idk MM?????

mountain man said:
Exact mix.......... Droopy Wet Dog

????????

MM, you lost me. Could you refer me to what you're referring to?

Wet

I've toasted a few plants from not cooking long enough or moist enough or whatever.

My mix is nowhere near as hot as NC's since I sorta do a universal mix for everything I grow, including veggies. It is a bit hotter than LC's mix, which it is based on, mostly with the soy/alfalfa blend and a too short cook time usually means problems. The plants recover, but get a bit scorched.

What works best *for me* is a top dress of either Espoma or my own blend of meals a couple of weeks before the plants actually need it. Like the last week or 2 of veg before flower.

It's an educated guess sorta thing, since even 'fast acting' stuff like blood meal takes a couple of weeks to kick in. Meals are even slower. If they actually show a deficiency, you are way behind the curve. I might give them a shot of Jack's Classic if that happens to hold them over till the top dress kicks in.

Don't let organic dogma override common sense. LOL You do what needs to be done.

Wet

just dump it out again in a pool. water it with tap/molasses water and keep it moist and mixed for another 2 weeks. then plant again in it!

dont top dress with anything with this mix, it will only harm it IMO!!! just cook it more bro...seriously!

how much water did you put when u first mixed it?

The regular mixing and watering was done in a large ice fishing sled. It holds 2, 36 gallon trash cans of the "cooking" mix. I have a third can with a small amount as well. The soil was stirred every couple of three days in the cans & taken out weekly, churned/watered in the sled and put back in the cans.
I dumped 5 to 8 gallons of water in when initially mixed. About a gallon of water/molasses everytime i mixed the whole batch in the sled. In the cans, it was very, very warm and cooking nicely.
I ended up using this mix at 3 to 4 weeks cook time and again at 7 to 8 weeks of cook time, AND, cut with regular soil by half. It was still too hot.
I have alot of really good soil stored in garbage cans. All bought for the purpose of rotating soils and amending the next or newest batch. I have 6 full cans and a little in a well used 7th can.
My pics suck and not sure why?

What kind of ambient temps am I going to need to cook this? I made this so I could cook this mixture indoors (hopefully with a minimum of smell and fuss). It is a 30 gallon barrel. I am thinking of making up a quarter recipe to start out. I will be getting/ordering all the stuff I need this week. I haven't found a source for soybean meal--can I substitute something else?

Any other words of wisdom before I start?

Compost Tumbler 002-1.jpg

I never found the soybean meal but I think NC said I could use twice the alfalfa meal.
Your tumbler looks GREAT THG!

Rosebud said:
I never found the soybean meal but I think NC said I could use twice the alfalfa meal.
Your tumbler looks GREAT THG!

No double alfalfa wont sub. Its much faster broken down than soybean. The soybean piece is critical. I know you can order online, somewhere. I know it could be a drive, but its pretty common ammendment. Just need to hunt around for it. I got it for .25 per lb, if that helps in a price hunt for it.

Thanks all. I had a good time building the tumbler and not too difficult. I am building some spares to sell once the weather breaks. As you may be able to see, we still have snow and it was 9 degrees this morning.

Nouvellechef, if you can find a source for me, let me know. I have googled all over the internet (that sounds kind of nasty doesn't it) and don't seem to be able to find it. I will order virtually everything online, except that which I can get at HD or Lowes. My shopping options are limited, even when I drive to the "big city".

@MM

An off the wall question.

Who's humic acid did you use and how much?

I do know that an OD here can cause mutated/weird growth. Just trying to narrow things down.

Wet

Heres one. Kinda spendy.

hxxp://www.groworganic.com/organic-soybean-meal-7-2-1-6-lb-box.html

its either a total screw up on the measurements, or not enough water n molasses throughout the first 30 days! at this point!!!!

idk, i just mix a little hot with plain, and my just rooted clones are loving it, just perfect!!! theyll be ready for the hot stuff in a few weeks! not these pics!! these are now in the flower room getting more full for flower, this was a week ago! ill get u a new pic of the deadhead og....just loving it also!!

maybe your planting them to young also, although, i recently planted some young touchy OG Kush, and it took 2 weeks for it to pop out of its shock from the hot mix!

its also very strain and age dependent!!!!

even after harvest, if you dont have a cut, just throw it under t5 24hrs for a week, then into the veg room for 18/6 and in the 2-3rd week youll get new growth like the one in my pics!!!

P1000359.JPG

P1000363.JPG

P1000367.JPG

P1000368.JPG

P1000369.JPG

P1000365.JPG

P1000372.JPG

P1000364.JPG

yup..........^^^^^^^^^^^^^^mine look exactly like that NOW!!! been a week or 2 since those shots!!!

sup with the cheapo buckets dude? thats not your style?

nouvellechef said:
Heres one. Kinda spendy.

hxxp://www.groworganic.com/organic-soybean-meal-7-2-1-6-lb-box.html

I ordered it NC, thanks. I think I had seen that one before, but the shipping is more then the soybean meal, oh well, anything for the plants right?

Found mine from Down to Earth Fertilizers. Luckily their are only a handful of things in need to order online. Soybean meal being one of those, and the Azomite. Down to Earth carries that also. Everything else i can get locally.

I ditched the rice hulls and worm castings. Ive grown fine w/o the rice hulls, maybe next cycle ill give them a try. Any nutrient defficiency that may arise i will use compost tea, but i don't expect that to happen early on.

NV, is their an outdoor grow journal using your soil mix? Ide like to see it.

Humaplex Humic acid by "Down to Earth", I did NOT mix in any amount not required or called for. I took more care churning and keeping that soil wet as it cooked, than most people care for their plants. I made no mistake, thank you.
Soybean can be gotten in 50 lb bags at any large feed store worth a rats arse....

Latest posts

Back