To build or buy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siegalsmoker

Reaction score
I haven't grown in awhile, but plan to start up again. Probably will do hydro this time. I'm not sure if I should try and build a room myself or buy one. I've been looking at these rooms online and see prices from $1500-$4500. Haven't yet priced out for a build myself, but have to think it might be a little cheaper. But, with all the details it takes to do it properly think I might want to buy one and take out guess work. Any suggestions?

is a pre-fab grow room same as what peeps refer to as a tent?

not a guessing game to build ur own room---you definitely need a plan man---there are some issues that remain constant weather pre-fab or custom such as the electrical panel and if u own or rent ur place

they have tents and what I would call a cabinet/wardrobe. I'm looking more towards the cabinet. I own my own place, and the guess work for me would be all the electrical stuff. I figure I could do just about everything else, but the electrical would worry me a little. The cabinets I've seen seem to have wiring that looks pretty legit. I want to do more than just add some extension cords or power strips if I do it on my own. Don't want to worry everyday I leave if it will burn down..

I wouldn't pay those prices for a pre-fab cabinet when the tents work flawlessly, and electrical is ridiculously easy to do, even for someone who is afraid of electricity. I could guide you without issue, as could several people here or at Marijuana culture (since Mar-P only has about a month left online :( ) It depends on how much, how big, and how fast you want to turn over grows. :)

I'm with Hushpuppy--All the cabinet set-ups I have seen are way overpriced for what they are. If you are capable of building your own, I think that is what you should do.

The initial electrical problem will be getting a dedicated circuit to where you want to place your cabinet. The wiring in a grow room is not that complicated. I had an electrician run a dedicated 20 amp circuit to a closet off the master bathroom (I told him I was going to put in a Jacuzzi tub). From there I ran electrical outlets around the room myself. If this grandmother can do that, I am sure you can too. Like Hush said, someone can guide you through the basics of wiring (I personally am a plumber--if I make a mistake, I only get wet!).

Also you might want to look around for used shipping crates--they can make great grow places. I have a customer who ships stuff and he ends up giving them away because he has so many. I have run a tent and they are great if you don't have anything else, but I do like the solid walls that a cabinet provides. It seems as if I always have cords and things strung around my tent because you cannot attach stuff to the walls.

You will be able to find all the help you need--so, I say go build your own cabinet. That way you can make it exactly to your specifications....and probably spend 1/2 as much money.

You should determine how much you want (or need) every harvest and make your room size(s) correspond to that. I really recommend 2 spaces--one to veg and clone and another to flower.

well there u go then---u own ur property so that jumps the hurdle of improving/damaging an others property and nosey landlords

now it really depends on ur level of dedication to a full time hobby cause that is what an indoor garden is---a full time hobby---if u want a bit of herb to get u thru the winter---u might consider just running a few extra plants out doors in the summer

if not---then thg nailed it by getting an election over there to set u up with an electric sub-panel for ur new hot tub (LOL) close to the spot where u are gonna build ur rooms---veg apporx 2/3 the size of the flower room---would be helpful if u envision a plant total and style of grow at this stage for planned purposes later

if u toss us a overview of the floor plan now---it would be helpful in guiding u with a plan for the new set up and best use of space

a good tent with all the right stuff is around those prices anyway i would check all that you need and get a quote. in my opinion,

All depends on how big you wanna go..... Electric is EASY!!!!.... Go to Home Depot and get the WIRING 1-2-3 book..... you will be able to set up any circuit you will need for a box grow.... this thread a couple months old..... I know...

Home de pot is my go to place for everything mj growing except the nutes.

If you have the know-how and are physically able to, I'd build it. It's cheaper in the long run and nothing better then standing back at a finished project, taking her all in and smoking a bowl of the finest herb you grew yourself.

Peace n' Nuggs,

If you own the property, build it yourself....If you rent & need it portable, then a pre-made and easily collapsible unit is probably best.

You have to do what's best for your situation, but safety is paramount...electrical and air exchange, will greatly dictate your results...good luck

Another vote for build over buy. You can ala cart a nice setup cheaper and more too your personal needs.

I haven't grown in awhile, but plan to start up again. Probably will do hydro this time. I'm not sure if I should try and build a room myself or buy one. I've been looking at these rooms online and see prices from $1500-$4500. Haven't yet priced out for a build myself, but have to think it might be a little cheaper. But, with all the details it takes to do it properly think I might want to buy one and take out guess work. Any suggestions?
hey dude its a good idea to start you own growing process.I started mine with some real good purple maroc auto flower seeds I bought from some African dude.I mean real seeds.they flowered within 2 weeks.its a blessing. . .

Latest posts

Back