Recommendations / Suggestions for my 1st full size - Grow Tent 600W

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgjscdhl

Reaction score
After 3 failed attempts with a "stealth grow" I'm going to "full-scale".
I want to get a grow tent instead of building the room because a) I'm not that handy b) I may be
moving in 6-8 months. I hope to be the last thread before my next grow but will keep it updated up
until the seedlings pop…. Two variables I haven't decided on, yet, are seeds and nutrients.
I don't think I want to try organics because Its easier for me and if I run into problems I
should be able to provide ph as well as ec/tds readings.

I have two "favorite" choices for nutrients:
adv. nutrients - Sensi grow/bloom /w ph perfect
Canna grow/bloom for soil.

I have two sets of seeds I either got free from a seed bank or from the community.
If I can't get them to "pop" I intend on buying a sative/indica hybrid from a seed bank.
I'm only growing 4 plants at a time, no more than 6.

10x c99 / Cherry Bomb
10x "Mystery Seeds" (genetics unknown)

The tent I was looking at is Secret Jardin dr2 120 - 4x4'x7' tent, going by
the specs on their site I was looking at the following for hardware:

600w switchable/dimmable lumitek hps/mh digital ballast
450cfm 6' vortex fan
Air-tight, cooled 6' reflector (SilverStar / Sunbox)
Can Filter 50 - 420CFM

I will be growing in sunshine mix #4
I already have a 4x 24w t5 fluorescent lamp for seedlings
Hanna tds/ec/ph meter
… Misc pots, temp/hum, etc..

These seem to be similar design/specs as several threads I've looked at. I'll need to choose my ventilation later on, and
lighting. I saw some "controllers" at the hydroponic store today. One (grozone tv2) was a day/night temperature sensor
that looked really cool. Has anybody from here had any experience with them?

As always I'd appreciate any criticism or suggestions by the community. If I've neglected some information please ask.

Thanks for viewing
Geo

mojo for your grow..everything sounds correct..Please start a journal and post pics with updates and we can all fallow along and help along the wya...Best addvise I can give is ..read...read....read

take care and be safe

Ty for visiting
and I intend to re-read as much as I can. I've found several journals with exactly my setup (plus or minus a few things) so that'll help a bit.

It looks like you have everything in order to get started. I would suggest that you get more T5 lighting as the 4bulb is not going to be enough lumens for vegging, unless you intend to just start the seedling under that then switch to a Metal halide for further vegging. I have found that the metal tends to make the plants stretchy while the T5s will keep their growth tight.

I am using Advanced Nutrients Jungle Juice right now and am very impressed with the results that I am getting. Haven't tried the "Sensi" products so I can't say on that.

You said that you will see about the ventilation later. Make sure you get that straight before you even crack the first seed. Trust me, you don't want to be having to scramble to get the ventilation right while your plants are in the middle of growing as it is a real PITA. Get the ventilation set up and connected to your light so that you can test the heat build up before doing anything else. Test it with the filter on it then remove the filter until the plants start flowering as that is when they get stinky. Make sure your fan is set up as close to the exit point of the air flow as possible so that you are pulling air out of the grow-space rather than pushing any air as pushing air doesn't work as good as pulling air.

Good luck and if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask, we are glad to help. :) We all learn and do better by helping each other :)

The tent I was looking at is Secret Jardin dr2 120 - 4x4'x7' tent,

I am running a DRII 120 also, with two 600's for light. Nice tent:aok:

Sounds good. I would definitely go with the known genetics. I found C99 easy to grow. I would start all 10 seeds to assure 4 healthy females.

As always, Hushpuppy has given some excellent advise. I have MH lights that I do not use anymore as I find T5 lighting just better. However, you would need a lot more/larger T5s to do the job. Your ventilation can be as important as your lighting.

ty for visiting ozzydiodue and I appreciate the comments.
Definitely a nice tent. Did you have any heat troubles with two lights pcduck?

I've found most of the criticism for AN is price. Its not that they don't have a point, but i'd rather pay some cash now than waste seeds/time..

Actually you cleared up alot of questions about venting. I wasn't sure about the position of the fan itself. And you make a great point about the filter it might be more efficient to add it when its needed for odor control.

I was thinking t5 strickly for seedlings/clones especially since the fixture is only 2ft - which is a perfect fit for my propogation dome. I know fluorescents typically give off little heat but wouldn't that many bulbs/fixtures add up? And I'm guessing simply supplimenting the MH light with T5 was not economical or efficient? Are they arranged horizontal or vertical?

Thanks for visiting the thread and your advice

hey mgjscdhl....
like everyone else has said. loose the MH.. go T5s they will be much easier for you to work with.. less heat and more lumens for your bang...

as for AN.. i have nothing good to say bout them.. not only is the price rediculous but they whole set up.. we will use sensi A&B for an example.. not only do you have those 2 nutes but 10-15 other aditives... now YOU dont have to use em.. but then they claim your not getting the full bennies..

i have found GH3 to be a great nute... i run that with calmag and have had no problems..
the less complicated you make something the easier and better it usually goes for you and your ladies...
LH

MGJ; this is just for information's sake since you are looking at using T5. :) I actually had a grow last year that I ran T5s on the sides and metal in the middle above the plants. They grew really well but when it was all said and done I didn't see any benefit of running both over running just the T5s. The extra cost in watts for running both as opposed to running just T5 wasn't worth it for the results I was getting.

I also ran a grow recently where I ran the same 3 types of plants in 2 cabinets. One cab had the metal and the other had T5. The T5s were actually just barely enough lumens for the space while the metal was more lumens, and the T5s still had better, tighter growth, which when the plants were flipped ended up stretching less than the plants grown under the metal.

Having many T5s will add up heat but still not as much, and no where the radient heat of the HIDs. The down-side is that the T5s don't have real deep penetration like the HIDs do, but unless you plan on vegging plants till they are 4' tall that shouldn't be an issue. when I ran mine for the test, they were a good 18" tall when I flipped them and hadn't shown any issues from a lack of penetration of T5 light. :)

The only thing I noticed with the T-5's is he said 24w.

That might be ok for seedlings, but a bit weak for vegging. Really needs some HO in there.

Wet

Those t5 are definitely underpowered. They'd be a total of 96W but they had a larger fixture, and other bulbs. I've asked them politely if they can order items for me, so if there are things they don't normally stock…

Good to see some familiar faces :)
Did you use the FloraMicro as well LH? Still using the Grow Tent you had?

Can you provide some info on your T5's Hushpuppy? Your last journal showed some HID and T5s together.

Did you have any heat troubles with two lights pcduck?

Not so far. Have them Y'ed off from filter then through lights then Y'ed together again at the fan. Intake is from outside that also has a fan to help on the hot days.

mgjscdhl said:
Those t5 are definitely underpowered. They'd be a total of 96W but they had a larger fixture, and other bulbs. I've asked them politely if they can order items for me, so if there are things they don't normally stock…

Good to see some familiar faces :)
Did you use the FloraMicro as well LH? Still using the Grow Tent you had?

Can you provide some info on your T5's Hushpuppy? Your last journal showed some HID and T5s together.

yeah i use the grow micro n bloom... dont use calmag during veg unless needed.. but use it during flower.. and dont use the grow during flower...

i actually went out and bought a secret jardin as well.. 3x3 though.. i love it.. nice tent and by far the most light tight out of all my tents..

the t5s your looking for are a standard HOt5.. and there 5000lumens per bulb at 54w ..
LH

Oh. I hadn't thought of a y split(er).. Gives me an idea or two on ducting..

LH. Does your soil contain dolomite lime in your soil/soiless?
I watched several youtube videos. One was light proof testing, definitely looks great quality.

I'll call the shop tomorrow and see if they have any HOt5 fixtures. TY

mgjscdhl said:
Oh. I hadn't thought of a y split(er).. Gives me an idea or two on ducting..

LH. Does your soil contain dolomite lime in your soil/soiless?
I watched several youtube videos. One was light proof testing, definitely looks great quality.

i dont grow in soil very often.. just my host mostly... and yes it does.. i use pro mix bx or hp.. im a water farmer

i would also check the online store if yer in the US... they have some great deals.. usually cheaper than hydro stores..
LH

no, in Canada. But the local shop actually has more competitive prices than a few of the sites I found on google (you know, if you add shipping)

mgjscdhl said:
no, in Canada. But the local shop actually has more competitive prices than a few of the sites I found on google (you know, if you add shipping)

ahhhh your in the same boat as me..lol..
i feel your pain man...
LH

mgjscdhl said:

Look for the 55W that emit 5000 lumens. For vegging, you are going to want to make sure you have the 6500K tubes.

I have seen some good buys on T5s on E-bay.

I am bro, I am lol
But I have a few options which weren't available to me the first stealth grow.. So I prefer to think on the positive side.

I have to try again tomorrow (eBay), I only got one result and I still need to call the local shop. I procrastinated today and did sweet f@#^ all!

night everyone!

Latest posts

Back