MoNo's Design Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
monoxide, i think your best bet is to veg in the closet, and flower in a 4x4 tent. the computer desk is to the right of the closet right? you can place the tent in that corner where the computer desk is currently, run the flower room exhaust duct into the closet and into the attic. by way of centrifugal fan. the closet will help dampen the noise that the fan puts off. you have an attic above that room right? if not you will need to run it into the craw space/basement.

give me till tomorrow and i can sketch up something and give you a visual to better show you what i mean.

i know we're not at this point yet, but if you did decide to go this way i can include a starting shopping list of what you will need.

flower room:

- 4x4 tent
- 6" air cooled reflector
- 1k watt ballast
- 1k watt hps bulb
- 6" carbon filter
- 25' of 6" insulated/uninsulated duct...insulated helps with the noise from fan as well
- 6" centrifugal fan (400+ cfm)
- light timer x2
- hangers for the reflector
- thermometer/hydrometer
- circulation fan

veg room:

- 4' 6bulb T5 fixture
- hangers for fixture
- circulation fan
- thermometer/hydrometer
- 6" to 4" duct reducer
- 6" duct splitter
- 4' of 4" duct

a few comments about the pic...

the round tubes are to simulate how the duct would run.
the box around the tube represents the duct fan.
i showed what it would like if you ran it into the attic or into the craw space.
i think the rest is self explanitory

untitled.000.jpg

You have to be careful pumping exhaust air into an attic. If you do not have proper air movement and ventilation in the attic, you can get mold.

You may not be able to get a 6 bulb T5 into a closet that is 2' wide. Be sure and check the dimensions before you buy a light--most of the 6 bulb fixtures are over 24" wide.

I would add a fan speed controller to shortbus' list. I also think that I would get an exhaust fan for each space.

because its easier for me to fix and replace drywall, if we sell our house one day. would it be ok to vent the tent 'which is beside the closet' into the closet and let that one exhaust in the closet push the air up in the ceiling?

oops, i didnt see the thread got to 2 pages. Thanks shortbus. So what you said and what i just said is the same and ok, right? I have a vent in the attic, I could actually run the duct and set it against the vent. That should push the air right outside.

getting the duct work out of the grow space close to the vent in the attic is the best way to do it.

@ THG the closet is actually 25" not that much different, but how wide are most?

because the veg area is 2x6 is that too wide? ALso, if they make a 3x4 would that be ok for the flower tent?

MoNoXiDe said:
@ THG the closet is actually 25" not that much different, but how wide are most?

The ones I looked at were like 27" or so. I have just a little less than 2' so went with the 4 bulb tube. Are you planning on using the entire 6' of closet for vegging? You are probably only going to want to put 5 or 6 plants in a 4 x 4 tent, so you are not going to need a huge space to veg. I pretty much supply a 3 x 6.5' flowering space with a 2 x 4 vegging space. I do a real perpetual garden though, trying to cycle plants in every week or 2, so I will have plants of all sizes in the vegging closet. The bubble cloner goes in there, too.

I don't think that I have ever seen a 3 x 4 tent, but I think they make one that is about 40" x 40" (actually 1m x 1m). That is about a sq ft smaller than a 3 x 4. Do you not have room for a 4 x 4?

I do. I was just thinking 4' wide is good, but it would stick out 2' where my computer is now. If I can save room that would be nice. I didn't realize the 4x4 would hold 5-6 plants. I was thinking I would only have 2-3 in the 4x4. I think 5-6 plants is quiet a bit. Thoughts? Is having too much room in the Flowering tent a bad thing? Like if I just did 2-3 plants in there.

The Hemp Goddess said:
You have to be careful pumping exhaust air into an attic. If you do not have proper air movement and ventilation in the attic, you can get mold.

You may not be able to get a 6 bulb T5 into a closet that is 2' wide. Be sure and check the dimensions before you buy a light--most of the 6 bulb fixtures are over 24" wide.

I would add a fan speed controller to shortbus' list. I also think that I would get an exhaust fan for each space.

good call THG i forgot that 6bulbs are more then 24" wide. a 4 buld will work just as well.

MoNoXiDe said:
I do. I was just thinking 4' wide is good, but it would stick out 2' where my computer is now. If I can save room that would be nice. I didn't realize the 4x4 would hold 5-6 plants. I was thinking I would only have 2-3 in the 4x4. I think 5-6 plants is quiet a bit. Thoughts? Is having too much room in the Flowering tent a bad thing? Like if I just did 2-3 plants in there.

not as much as you think. it really depends on how big you grow them. seasoned growers like to shoot for 1 gram per watt. for someone new to this, shooting for 1/2 a gram per watt is a good place to start. so if you went with the 4x4 flower tent with a 1k watt hps light. your basically shooting for 500 grams.

try not to get caught up in how many plants you can fit in a space. the amount of plants you grow doesn't really effect the amount of weight you will produce.

ShOrTbUs said:
......try not to get caught up in how many plants you can fit in a space. the amount of plants you grow doesn't really effect the amount of weight you will produce.

Conversely, try not to get caught up in how much yield you can get out of a space. When you are starting out, I think it is most important to focus on learning what your plant is going to need to thrive and then follow through. There is a learning curve to this growing thing. If you worry about getting your grow dialed in as best you can, the yield will come.

Shortbus is correct when he says that the number of plants doesn't determine yield. However, I think it is important to know how many plants you can expect to get into a space. A flowering space that is overcrowded will not produce well--the plant will stretch because no light can get to the lower leaves and the bud can be airy because of this. Having space in your flowering room is not detrimental if you have adequate light to keep your lumens per sq ft up there at 5000 or more.

ok. Now that it's been decided. closet for veg, 4x4 tent for flowering. I guess, its the fun part. ordering. Looks like a lot of this I can get at Home Depot. thermometer/hygrometer x 2, all the duct work, circulation fan x2

Amazon has some good prices on lights and fan/filter combinations.

I use .plantlightinghydroponics.com

:yeahthat: great service and prices not bad at all. brown plan box delivery too:aok:

Flower tent is a Secret Jardin

Veg tent is a cheapy from e-bay

MoNoXiDe said:
any reccomendations on the tent? brands

My veg tent is the Gorilla 2.5 x 2. Kinda pricey, but they get rave reviews.

I started to get the Secret Jardin 2 x 2, but my T5 light fixture is 2 x 2, and that leaves no room for air to get around the light (I ventilate out the top of the tent).

So, I should get a 2x2.5 for the closet? then a 4x4 for outside. I just want to triple check before I go drop the dollars.

Latest posts

Back