Sopappy's grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sopappy

Reaction score
Can you post a pic of the " stuck stage" please?

Sopappy's ugly baby pictures

I've wanted to do that but I have a pos camera. Buddy is supposed to lend me his camera but he just wants to take the pictures for me (problem :). I can't focus except by moving away or closer, pretty crummy pictures.

The group shot is before the flushing. One pic is of one that seems promising and the last one is fascinating me, lower set and cotyledon look like pale leather, but above they seem to be recovering. What a mess.

Again, nice camera isn't here yet

UPDATE re the flush mid-week... I've since lost 6 of the 25, not surprisingly, the youngest ones (4 - 6 days)
I'd like to think they are looking better but I found a dead kush this morning, but two more that seemed to perk up.
Uncle !!! I mixed up a batch of half strength nutes and let them have it. A spoonful each, say about 4ml
I'm going to do that morning and night now.

View attachment saturday 008.JPG

View attachment saturday 016.JPG

View attachment saturday 017.JPG

Last edited:
Sopappy, what did you plant those seeds in? Too hot..don't add food... would you like me to move this to a grow journal for you and you can get more help?

Sopappy, what did you plant those seeds in? Too hot..don't add food... would you like me to move this to a grow journal for you and you can get more help?

Hi Rosebud,

I thought I'd try 50/50 coco/perlite so I could re-use it. I did rinse it but didn't have a metre. When metre got here, I measured 700 - 1200. I'm thinking that's the problem so I flushed 'em and got it down to 100.
(I lost the most recent 4 and 2 bent over, but the others seem to be perking up a bit. I know I shouldn't have but I did, this morning, just before reading your post ... 1/2 strength nutes, maybe 4ml each, I'll alternate with bottled water.

The journal is a great idea. I should have started here that way but just posted some contradictions I'd hoped to solve. The fact that you just asked me what I was growing in had me re-thinking THAT dumb plan.

Yup, sure... let's dump this haphazard thread and start the journal. I could probably do that myself but if you have the time, I wouldn't mind your help getting it off to the right start. I am new to this forum stuff.

I found the JOURNALS,... it seems I just start a thread and keep my diary there, that's easy. I'm okay Rosebud, thanks for pointing it out. I'm not sure how i missed that, I guess i just wanted to beech & moan. I would have read a lot more before nagging you guys too, my apologies (again)

Hey thanks, Rosebud! Had to laugh when I logged on again and saw this "Soppapy's Grow"
I'm so embrassed, we should have called it "Sopappy, the Serial Seed Killer's Grow" or maybe
"Sopappy's Anti-Grow" or maybe
"So, Pappy, how goes the grow? or maybe
"Cuckoo for CoCo Grow by Sopappy"

Sheeesh, I'm Dexter. The only thing I didn't do was wrap my seeds in plastic.

Last edited:
Yes, those seedlings are fried--most likely from being fed while they were too young. Neither Coco or perlite should be doing that. I believe that MG sells a perlite that has nutrients in it, maybe you have that.

Those little plants are most likely 2 weeks or so away from needing food. And then when you feed them, it needs to be 1/8th or 1/4 strength nutes, not 1/2 strength. Maybe you should try something like this to start plants out in [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002IU8K2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

I really though we had talked about not feeding the plants until they were 3 weeks old or so, but I guess not. You pretty much do not need to feed until you start seeing the cotydons yellowing. I did ask you many times what you were growing in and whether or not it had nutes in it...Part of the reason I suggested using a different medium....

Sopappy, you can't make any new mistakes, we have all made them all.. We will help you get this back on track.

Yes, those seedlings are fried--most likely from being fed while they were too young. Neither Coco or perlite should be doing that. I believe that MG sells a perlite that has nutrients in it, maybe you have that.

Those little plants are most likely 2 weeks or so away from needing food. And then when you feed them, it needs to be 1/8th or 1/4 strength nutes, not 1/2 strength. Maybe you should try something like this to start plants out in http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002IU8K2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

>>> Could I just drop these in a 4" pots of 50/50 coco?

I really though we had talked about not feeding the plants until they were 3 weeks old or so, but I guess not.

>>> they are more than a month old now, THG.... I hang on to your every word, you know that.
I hardly think I can hurt them now :)

You pretty much do not need to feed until you start seeing the cotydons yellowing. I did ask you many times what you were growing in and whether or not it had nutes in it...Part of the reason I suggested using a different medium....

see >>> above

I agree. I never had trouble with potting soil, they sprouted and flourished from T5 to MH to HPS. I was just dissatisfied with the yields and worried about fire. T5 and LED now.

If I kill 'em all off with the nutes, GREAT! At least I can start over with soil.... this LIMBO stuff is killing me.
I don't give a hoot about the money anymore, I just miss the enjoyment I used to get going down there, I dread it now.

Nothing wrong with the environment, ventilation or temperatures.
I did get some bad seeds that muddied the water but I an sure that it is that damn coco.

You reminded me about the nuted perlite you mentioned in another post.... I just scooted down and ran a half litre of 100 ppm water through a quart of my perlite and ppm of runoff was the same, 100...... I'm assuming that means the perlite is NOT that nuted stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sopappy, you can't make any new mistakes, we have all made them all.. We will help you get this back on track.

Frankly, I regret not coming here until I had problems but frankly, I'm the paranoid type. If I finish off these ingrates with my nuting this morning, I'll just start over. Even if these girls make it, they've gotten off to a crappy start, they ain't getting any more special treatment, I'l just step on them and put them out of their misery.

I'm thinking either

1) seed in rapid rooter plugs (thanks, THG) in 1 qt pots of coco/perlite
or
2) seed in 1 qt pts of Miracle Grow potting mix. (not time release one)

I have been using Miracle Grow Seed Starter Mix for years now. It has no time release nutrients. I just add extra perlite and 2 handfuls of sweet lime per 8 cubic foot bag..

Sopappy's ugly baby pictures

Here's where these spoiled brats live.
All walls and ceiling sealed with panda paper.
I am so proud of that pocket door, I could bust.
Bare cement floors, plants on stands and mats.
Both fans at MEDIUM (half cfm?) 24/7
Never a hint of a stink in here even in last weeks of NL :)

I just wish I could grow something in here again hahahahahahaha

View attachment my rooms.jpg

You have a lot of questions and thats ok, but its too bad the laws werent different! we are both in Ontario and would just love to hop in the car and straighten a few things out for you, maybe one day.

Dman, I'd pay for your gas and feed you too. But I don't think we'll ever see it legal for us, Trudeau's buddies maybe, but us small fry are just suckers and fodder for fines. I don't worry about getting busted, a home invasion is more likely. The unit sucking politicians will go for the money (fines) or they'll simply squash us with hydro rates. I'd rather not say EXACTLY where I am but if you ever head east about 4 or 5 hours, drop me a line, maybe we meet for a beer and we'll see if we can smell pig. (Sad to say that and I mean no disrespect.)

I have never used Coco...just MG Seed Starter.

Just picked up 5 bags of it from Home depot.

View attachment 222767

ooops, I confused you with Hushpuppy.... puppies, hamsters, sheesh
I'm THIS close to giving up on coco

The seed starter.... do you continue with it all the way to flower?

What do you think of the .14 .14 .14?

Home Depot make me nervous, i don't buy there.

sopappy, seed starter is just that. Does Amazon deliver to canada? Seed starter has no nutrients in it and that is because nutrients burn babies. I keep mine in ss until they are root bound, not telling you to do that, but mine almost always end up that way. You can feed w/1/4 strength nutrients till you put them in some good soil like Fox Farm Ocean Forest. None of thos 14-14-14 will work. Pot has very distinctive needs at appropriate times. They need more N during veg... etc.

Take another look at that picture up there with the leather like paper thin cotyledons and first set and then the sudden switch to green sets right above them. That's a new mistake for me, I've NEVER even seen that before. I find it absolutely fascinating. What an amazing plant... that beech is more than a month old and even I can't knock her down.

If she recovers with the nutes I started this morning, I'm converting to Islam.
If she doesn't, I'll still stick my bum up in the air so y'all can smack it.

sopappy, seed starter is just that. Does Amazon deliver to canada?

>>> yep, but it's like Netflix, we don't get all that you Amuricans get.

Seed starter has no nutrients in it and that is because nutrients burn babies. I keep mine in ss until they are root bound, not telling you to do that, but mine almost always end up that way. You can feed w/1/4 strength nutrients till you put them in some good soil like Fox Farm Ocean Forest.
None of thos 14-14-14 will work.

>>> That's all I've used for last 3 years (with tomato nutes believe it or not) and I produced some really, really good product.
Seed into 1qt under T5s until about a foot, transplant 2qt to MH to about 3 ft, then to 3qt to HPS

Pot has very distinctive needs at appropriate times. They need more N during veg... etc.

see >>> above

Nah, it's a weed, and a darn smart one to cosy up to us like they did... just look how we knock ourselves out trying to perpetuate it. My guess is one of those MARS volunteers smuggles it on board.

Keep it simple, stupid. I tried to improve on a good thing and I blew it.
It really is not that hard to grow. I just got greedy.

Seriously... my NL 2 years ago was a cup contender I tells ya.

>>> nope, Perlite was 0 ppm, coco was filthy 1400, 700ppm, who knows but down to 100 now

Those little plants are most likely 2 weeks or so away from needing food. And then when you feed them, it needs to be 1/8th or 1/4 strength nutes, not 1/2 strength.

>>> jeeeeeeze, I thought half was reasonable, I'll agonize over this but still think I'm okay with half Thrive

Maybe you should try something like this to start plants out in http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002IU8K2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

>>> why didn't I think of this, yes, they are on the way

I really though we had talked about not feeding the plants until they were 3 weeks old or so, but I guess not. You pretty much do not need to feed until you start seeing the cotydons yellowing.

>>> I finally cracked at day 32 and fed them in desperation but it was only the Thrive, not nutes ???

I did ask you many times what you were growing in and whether or not it had nutes in it...

>>>not sure where I went wrong there. I should not have started the stupid Mythbusters thread but was pretty frustrated and didn't know how to ask for help, sorry about that. Turns out, I'm almost positive it's the coco not rinsed enough and under watering.

Part of the reason I suggested using a different medium....

Hello THG,

My rapid rooter plugs are here and I'm going to start another 5 tomorrow.

UPDATE: I am now comfortable with the T5 and have it a couple inches above the plants and a comfy 21 - 24 degrees day & night. I swear these girls might recover and it's practice with the coco the way I see it so I'm not as emotional these days. I know you want soil but I'm going to try one more time with the coco.

I have it rinsed down to 100ppm but can't get it lower, it'll have to do.
It's 50/50 with perlite and I think you are quite right about the watering. I find it devious stuff, not like soil at all. It drains fast and I think I've been under watering so I thought I'd try this:

I'll sit 5 x 4" pots in a tray of ph'd 100pm water w/half Thrive. Full, they weigh 600-700 grams each and I'll drain the tray.
A seed in each DRY plug is them put into each pot.
I think it will be easier to tell that the plug is moist and I will mist to keep it moist with distilled water (0 ppm) and half thrive mixture.
When they poke through, I'll switch to spoon feed with bottled water (700 ppm) and half Thrive until I see the cotyledons yellow or 3rd set, whichever comes first.
All the while, I'll weigh a pot or two and when I see 300 - 400 grams, I'll flood again, hopefully yellow cotyledons by then and I can nute, half strength, fill and drain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sopappy, read the whole thread...mourned the lost. Guess what, I am sure everyone here has killed their share of plants. Your in great hands here and I see no need to add advice as mine has already been given. Good luck, I'm subb'ed. I looking forward to seeing happy results

Sopappy, read the whole thread...mourned the lost. Guess what, I am sure everyone here has killed their share of plants. Your in great hands here and I see no need to add advice as mine has already been given. Good luck, I'm subb'ed. I looking forward to seeing happy results

Hello Kraven. I'm sure that's probably true but I'm a serial killer and must be stopped. I'm going for the record here, at least TWO DOZEN so far.

These are the survivors (so far). They range from 2 -3 weeks old and are off to a horrible start. I knew there were at least 6 that wouldn't survive the flush and the last one (hopefully) was plucked this morning. I'm hoping these will recover but the place still reeks of suffering and death. I'm sure I hear them scream now when I walk in to the room.

Yup, a good bunch here. I was operating in a vacuum for years but this coco effort really threw me a curve. I'm getting straightened out here...
Wait until you see the next 5 !

View attachment 25022015 007.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back