Vape Concentrates

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks thg. very helpful to me. I'll get to looking online soon and get what i need gathered up.

Thanks HG, I'll probably mix it about the same.

I don't think I would buy a pre-made rosin press unless the prices have come WAYYYYYY down. Last I looked there wasn't much under $1000.

I did see some reasonably priced plates on eBay without the press but I have no idea if they are garbage or what.

The actual press is under $100. Harbor Freight is a favorite goto for most but any place that sells a nice table-top A-frame press will have what you want.

I made my own plates and used ceramic mold heaters that I got on eBay for about $7 each. LOL The aluminum plates were about $15 to $20. I can't see the hundreds (or thousands) of dollars that many of these makers are asking.

On the other hand, some people like Sunfire and a few others are making totally kick-*** presses that turn sideways and all kinds of cool stuff. However, they are mostly for large batches and /or commercial use and I just can't smoke it all fast enough. LOL

If you decide to make your own, let me know and I'll take some pics of my current setup and try to offer some tips. Such as.... one of the odd things about most of the presses is that they have square plates??? And, the rosin is directed all to one edge. I use round plates and place the puck right in the center. Seems to me that pressing from the center..out is much more efficient than trying to push it all one direction. Maybe not. But, I do know that the hair straightener is just a stepping stone. LOL You'll move past that really fast. It's not real efficient and it's not nearly as cool as watching rosin ooooooze from your homemade press. LOL Let me know if I can help. And, thanks for the lead on the whole liquidizer thing.

Umbra, thanks for the heads up. It kind of looked like a glorified hair straightener.

Hackerman, I will be wanting to be making my own rosin press, so I will certainly welcome your help when the time comes. I'll check out Harbor Freight. Probably buy a piece at a time.

Yarddog, fortunately, other than the concentrate, everything is easy to get online.

Well, right now, I am reusing a cart that I got at the dispensary that I refilled and an e-cig battery. However, I did order this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/18257232812...49&var=485144222705&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT I haven't got these yet.
and this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pyrex-Gla...831846?hash=item21254ea526:g:CkAAAOSwE0JY~UTV These work great with a regular e-cig battery.

I also bought one like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Premium-But...499073?hash=item1c85c70d41:g:5PgAAOSwK6RZHh4v but from a different vendor. It is working well.

Wow, mailman delivered mine today. Pretty quick from left coast to north coast.

The bottle said to see the web site for mixing instructions. I found this...

http://vapeurextract.com/clear-guide/

I'm not sure I like the idea of using a match or a lighter to heat it. LOL I don't imagine you're going to get a real even heat job like that. LOL But, we'll see.

I'm not sure I like getting rid of all the fats and lipids either. Won't that take some of the taste away?

I'll do a half gram just like they say and see how it comes out.

Well, that was pretty quick and easy. I put a 1/2 g of bho and 1g (by weight as they did on the tut) of Vapeur Extract. Heated with a lighter while I held it in my hand???

I'm not sure how hot it got but flame from a butane lighter is like 3000F so I can't imagine I was any where near 150F as the web site suggested. I am starting to have my doubts about the knowledge level of the peeps at that company. LOL

Anyway, I waved the lighter back and forth over the flame to heat the bottle while stopping momentarily to shake the bottle. When I saw that it was all melted and mixed together, I stopped.

I put it in the syringe and now, I am supposed to wait 2 to 24 hours for the fats to rise to the top. I'm not sure how important that is but I'm not a patient person. Especially when it comes to playing with new toys. LOL

I'll probably wait a short time and fill one cart up and try it. Meanwhile, I'll make another batch (stronger, this time) and let it sit overnight.

Well, I made 3 quick batches. I'll give what little feedback I can.

One thing I did seem to notice. You can only get the concentration to about 1:1. After that, the VE simply stops taking it and that last little lump of extract will not seem to mix. I added just 3 drops (about 0.1g) more and re-heated it up, the last little lump mixed in. I'm sure it will vary with the quality of the extract. However, if it does make sense that if it actually, simply 'suspends' the extract within itself and not chemically absorb or combine with it, there would be a limitation as to how much it can hold.

Also, at 1:1 the vap tastes kind of poopy. ;)

The 2:1 tasted a little better but I can definitely see adding a little vanilla or some other flavor to the mix. Not much just a taste. Maybe a mint or something to seem like menthol.

The 2:1 mix also made a bigger hit. The 1:1 was a little 'smokey' tasting (which is good for me). But the 2:1 got those big clouds like most people like.

The lighter thing is a bad idea. One batch got a little too hot and started vaping in the bottle. Oops.

At the web site recommendation of 140F, I am going to try the hot water out of my tap. I didn't measure it but I have the tank set at 170F so the tap is probably close to 125-140F.

I am going to let this last batch sit overnight. It's a 1:1 but I had to add 3 drops at the end to get he last little blob. So, it's a 1.1:1. LOL

Not so sure about this 'filter' thingy. Not even sure how it 'filters' LOL I'll tear it apart after a few uses. LOL I didn't clean it so it's going to sit overnight with the syringe on it to see what 'fats and lipids' rise to the top of this last batch by tomorrow.

OK, this batch sat overnight and I don't see any separation of lipids, fats, skinnys or anything else. LOL

I guess the good news is, the extract remained mixed with the VE so apparently, this stuff works OK.

This small jar will probably last me until this fad is over for me but if I do buy more, you can bet that I'll be paying $25 a liter for it this time rather than $25 an ounce. LOL

I'm pretty certain a simple spin in the centrifuge would divulge their 'proprietary' blend of the various PEG viscosity they use.

HG, you said in an earlier post that you tried to get extract and veg glycerin to mix and it wouldn't. Question... did you try heating it or putting it in the microwave like we did the VE product? I am just wondering if it's the procedure rather than the VG versus VE. Just curious.

Also, it looks like my V2 cig batteries are dead so I'll be out shopping for a new e-cig. I have the T5 batteries and vap tanks I can use but I like the feel and size of a real cigarette.

Thanks again for the thread, HG. I had given up on e-cig juice. :)

Yes, I did try heating it. And I tried microwaving it. I do believe that I read somewhere that PEG 400 will dissolve concentrates though.

I have to say that I am a happy with my vape juice as I am with the ones I have purchased from the dispensaries. Making your own is substantially cheaper, even when you start with purchased BHO. Hackerman, have you used a pre-filled cart from a dispensary?

THG, with your handiness you can def build a rosin press. Mine cost me $424 to build. Could have went cheaper, but upgraded a few things. Now I also have a table top hydraulic press for auto and machining also, when I need. The plates are easily removable. Been yielding killer presses also :48:

View attachment IMG_0875.jpg

Hackerman, have you used a pre-filled cart from a dispensary?

No, I'm afraid not. I still live in a stone age state. LOL

I have 2 or 3 different kinds of cartridges/tanks. One is like a cigarette filter (posted above) and only fits the V2 cig battery. The other 2 are tanks and fit on a standard T5 battery. One uses a wick and one is 'wickless'. Not exactly sure how it works as I've never tried it.

Right now I am testing a rather large (1.6 ml) tank on a T5 and it vaps like a cloud from Mt St. Helen.

I can't really vouch for the quality since my tolerance is so high but I'll fill this tank and take it with me tomorrow when my band plays and I'll pass it around there and get plenty of opinions. Those heathens are on free pot like piranha on raw meat. LOL Musicians never have any money. Most of them are great people and a pure pleasure to be around (I love that free spirit kind of person) but they are always broke. LOL

So, I'll definitely get plenty of opinions of the vap juice tomorrow night. In fact, I better make an extra batch and fill both tanks. LOL

One thing I must admit is that I don't like is the taste. Maybe it's my device. They are all new so maybe it needs a break-in or something. But, I definitely don't get the great taste of the original herb.

It could also be that I used BHO for this and not rosin. BHO never had a great taste anyway. Especially compared to rosin. I totally love that taste. After I use up this 3 grams of BHO I had stashed, I'll try some nice fresh rosin and see how much difference it makes.

Another thing... what's with the filter that came with the starter kit? Did you use that? I used it but now it looks like it's a 'no clean' type of filter. It should come apart to clean.

Ston-loc, when I get ready to make a press, I will let you know. This will probably be a fall project...when I have enough bud to press some. Looks like a nice unit you have pit together there.

Hackerman, you do not live in the stone age--you live in a state that is in the stone age, much like I did. Just curious if you had bought a cart before so you had something to compare to. I believe that you and I purchased different starter kits--I did not get a filter. I believe that the starter kit you got is more geared towards getting a clear extract, which may require filtering. I purchased the one with the flavorless liquidizer (which really seems to me to be flavorless). This one: http://vapeurextract.com/starter-kit/ From your description, I believe that you bought the "Clear" starter kit: http://vapeurextract.com/clear-starter-kit/ Like you I have a high tolerance and sometimes have a hard time telling whether something I make is strong enough or too strong. I wish testing was less expensive.

LOL--you don't need to tell me about musicians. I dated a drummer quite seriously for a number of years about 12 years ago. When we first started dating people in our tiny tiny town who knew us both teased me, calling me a Groupie. I finally silenced them by telling them that I was more of a Roadie because I handled his equipment. :giggle: I love the double entendre.

thg, you bad!!
so would i benefit more from making a rosin press, or making dry ice hash and turning that into oil?

I am thinking that rosin is a lot purer product. You can't help but get plant material in dry ice hash or kief and that is hard to get out even when you strain it well. However, I have to say that I have not made rosin.

I haven't made any dry ice hash since having the rosin press, so no experience specifically. But I have squished bubble hash I have made. Yielded 66% hash rosin without any plant matter/impurities left.

Oh the rosin press fosure YD.....just as quick as i can thats my next move

I wish I had someone to handle my equipment. And, I mean my drum equipment. LOL

Hauling the gear is the toughest part about a gig these days. If all I had to do is grab my sticks and show up to play, I would play a lot more often.

In case you want to get a jump start on your press, check these out...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=cartridge+heating&_blrs=spell_check

They are called cartridge heaters (used for heating molds). Order them now from China and they will be a month getting to you. You can get them stateside but check out the prices... China is under $5 each with free ship. You need 2.

Then, order 2 of these..... you can pick and choose your size. Keep them about 1" thick or they won't fit in your press and open for the parchment. The mouth to the press is only so wide. I bought some 2" blocks and the total of 4" plus the mount and the opening was too wide for my press. So, 1" thick is a pretty good thickness. I went 3" in diameter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Inch-Diam...987378?hash=item41986a7332:g:bvMAAOSw3ydViHY7

This is also where you might want to make a decision. I went with round. Almost all the other models I see are square. It seemed to be more efficient squeezing from the center out to all edges, rather than just out one side. 6 of 1, half dozen of the other, I suppose.

And, that's it. $15 for the aluminum plates. $10 for 2 heaters. Bingo, all you need is the Harbor Freight press. The rest is DIY. Drill the holes for the heaters. I had a friend smooth the surfaces for me although, I don't really think that's necessary. Wire the heaters to a plug. You probably already have a variable fan control (used to control the temp of the heaters).

I just can't see the $400 for a set of pre-made platens. Some of them are pretty cool and have some neat features but, in the end, it's just 2 hot pieces of aluminum. LOL

OK, sorry to get off topic.

my best rosin has come from squishing dry ice hash in a mesh screen bag. So YD, both is the correct answer.

Latest posts

Back