Ants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxlass

Reaction score
I have had ants munching on my young seedlings. You are not supposed to use pyrethium on young seedlings as I found out so how do I get rid of them without using poison?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Diatomaceous earth

can be mixed into soil you can also try ant traps

LMTSGA

Does DE hurt worms? My ground is full of them and don't want to kill them.

"Diatomaceous Earth will not harm warm-blooded animals or earthworms Earthworm farmers use it to treat their worm beds for parasites, fungus gnat larva etc. Earth worms are structurally different from insects in that they can actually digest particles of DE. The particles are then eliminated in their castings."

LMTSGA

"Diatomaceous Earth will not harm warm-blooded animals or earthworms Earthworm farmers use it to treat their worm beds for parasites, fungus gnat larva etc. Earth worms are structurally different from insects in that they can actually digest particles of DE. The particles are then eliminated in their castings."

LMTSGA
Thanks

If you find where they are entering, you can use cinnamon, it works great.

If the ants are crossing the top of the ground, you can build a small defensive ring(of DE) around the plants to keep out the ants. If that doesn't work, Azamax (or Neem oil) poured onto the ground around the plants may keep them away. You may also want to spray the plants with (if you use) the Azamax. The plants will absorb it and send it throughout the plant. This is good for preventing any chewing critters from getting on the plants. I wouldn't spray the straight Neem oil as it is very viscous.

The Azamax is a derivative of Neem oil and dissolves in water much easier. If you spray it on the plants, it will make the leaves waxy for a few weeks, but wont hurt them. don't spray it on developing buds as it could affect flavor. This stuff is good also because it is all natural and metabolizes within the plant in about 10 days. Not sure how long it lasts in soil, probably about the same.

If the ants are crossing the top of the ground, you can build a small defensive ring(of DE) around the plants to keep out the ants. If that doesn't work, Azamax (or Neem oil) poured onto the ground around the plants may keep them away. You may also want to spray the plants with (if you use) the Azamax. The plants will absorb it and send it throughout the plant. This is good for preventing any chewing critters from getting on the plants. I wouldn't spray the straight Neem oil as it is very viscous.

The Azamax is a derivative of Neem oil and dissolves in water much easier. If you spray it on the plants, it will make the leaves waxy for a few weeks, but wont hurt them. don't spray it on developing buds as it could affect flavor. This stuff is good also because it is all natural and metabolizes within the plant in about 10 days. Not sure how long it lasts in soil, probably about the same.
Thanks for the reply. I seem to have them under control now along with these tiny snails I found munching on them. One thing after another. I think I will get some neem oil though as I'm sure something else will start eating them at some stage.

If you are outside, they will continuously be under attack from the local leaf munching populations. The Neem around and on them at early stages will be a decent preventative that wont get washed away after it is absorbed by the plants. You can pour the neem straight onto soil around them but needs to be dissolved in water with a drop or 2 of dish soap to be sprayed onto them. The soap wont hurt the plants and it will break the oil bonds in the neem so that it absorbs easier. :)

Latest posts

Back