Rock wool in aero setup for seedlings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tater_salad

Reaction score
I'm a Noob and need some info about rock wool moisture content. I germinate my seeds, place them in the rock wool that has been soaked 24 hours and get them to sporut in a dark place, place them under the lights. What do you about the moisture content of your rockwool after that?
I'm placing my seedlings in 2 inch net pots with a few hydro clay balls in the bottom and putting them into an aeroponic setup with an airstone and a fogger. Do I let the net pots get dry? Will the seedlinds be OK until they put down roots past the bottom of the net pot? Should you keep the rock wool moist from the top?

carbhole.jpg

If your fogger is getting the hydrotron moist that will be plenty. The seedlings only need to be moist.

tater_salad said:
I'm a Noob and need some info about rock wool moisture content. I germinate my seeds, place them in the rock wool that has been soaked 24 hours and get them to sporut in a dark place, place them under the lights. What do you about the moisture content of your rockwool after that?
I'm placing my seedlings in 2 inch net pots with a few hydro clay balls in the bottom and putting them into an aeroponic setup with an airstone and a fogger. Do I let the net pots get dry? Will the seedlinds be OK until they put down roots past the bottom of the net pot? Should you keep the rock wool moist from the top?

Dude, sounds like an awesome set-up...:D You're doing the right thing, just check to be sure you're not getting any clogs in the system and you'll be fine...the rockwool will give them air and retain some moisture, you can keep the fogger on and not worry as it's a dry mist without worrying about root problems...actually some feel this is the best method...the 2 inch clay pots probably won't give enough support down the line, maybe go to 5 or 6+ inch ones later...depemding on how tall you plan to go. I'm doing a drip plus fogger when I get to the point you're at, just to be safe cause foggers can clog...

Temperature of your water will make or break the deal. At first you need 80 degrees ambient temp. After a week give them air. Rockwool acts like a wick and will stay saturated a little. I think 2 in. cubes are too small at least 4 if not 6 will work with full bloom plant. GL

So are you saying that once you put the plants in the Hydroton we need larger rock wool ???? I got clones in 2in rock wool and just put them in the Hydroton. Do we need more rockwool????

I use 2 inch cups and it works for me...a little tough at times but nothing too difficult...see

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/Gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1540/ppuser/8399

And no medium, the plants do pretty well, I got away from anything bigger cause the root ball would push the plants up, there isn't much clearance in those rails. I think a lot of it depends on your set-up. Any pictures of it or what it is based off of?

Latest posts

Back