A law enforcement view on marijuana

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
As a former law enforcement officer, I wholeheartedly support ballot issue 2F, the proposal to establish a sensible marijuana policy in the Town of Breckenridge.

In May of 1964, I pinned a badge on my shirt in the City of New York. Six years later I became one of the first Lakewood Police Agents and served for three years. I later went to Jefferson County Schools and in 1974 moved to the mountains where I became the Summit County Undersheriff and the very first director of public safety. All told, I have more than 31 years active duty as a police officer and have held a commission for over 44 years.

In my many years as a police officer, I never saw anyone hurt or killed from the use of marijuana. The only thing ever destroyed was an expedient bag of potato chips. In my experience, the greatest behavioral threat from an adult using marijuana is that the user fall asleep.

At polls starting on October 19, voters will consider whether to remove criminal penalties for the adult private possession of small amounts of marijuana under the Breckenridge Town Code. I encourage citizens to vote “yes” on this ballot question. Based on my experiences in law enforcement and at the state Legislature, I believe we need to stop criminalizing responsible adults who choose to relax at night with marijuana — a safer drug then alcohol.

Marijuana should be regulated for adult use and taxed to the maximum. This new tax revenue could benefit education and health care. The money saved by eliminating law enforcement efforts to enforce these broken laws would amount to many billions more.

Marijuana is not a gateway drug. I worked with large groups of heroin users in New York City and they did not start with marijuana. Most started with alcohol. Several people have died in our towns and county from the use of alcohol in the past year, but there have been no such problems with marijuana. Let's stop punishing adults for making a safer choice when recreating.

Summit County and Breckenridge have long been leaders on important social issues. Frisco and Breckenridge were two of the first towns in Colorado to legalize medical marijuana. Please join me in voting for sensible marijuana reform by voting early — from October 19 until the 30 — or on Election Day Nov. 3.

In addition to his years in law enforcement, Gary Lindstrom is also a former Summit County commissioner and Colorado House Rep.

hxxp://tinyurl.com/yhdam8y

FruityBud I wish there were a lot more LEO's with your mindset.

Power To The People :D

Play This Song

Give We A Licence by Morgan Heritage :D

Many years ago, I visited Breckenridge. Me and a friend drove out from Denver. We did some smoking going over Hoosier pass, then stopped at a ski lodge in Breckenridge. It was a very cool place. People were from all around and everybody had a good time.
I remember riding through Eisenhower tunnel (It was named after some president)on the way back and flipping the cameras the bird-great time.
Great Post Fruity!!!
:aok:
:joint:
:)
Gb

FruityBud said:
Marijuana should be regulated for adult use and taxed to the maximum. This new tax revenue could benefit education and health care. The money saved by eliminating law enforcement efforts to enforce these broken laws would amount to many billions more.

I am gonna have to take issue with that part of his statement. I dont believe for one second that if we tax grass we are going to help healtcare or schools. I believe that heavy taxation at a time when ou8r 8taxes are going to 8increase8 anyway (healthcare)8888888888888888888888. *I dont know why but my k8eyboard is tripping out with the 8s. 8it looks like I nee8d 8a new k8eyboard8. I also believe that grass will keep a criminal element as long as we use a heavy taxation policy. I may be wrong. I often am.

Stupid keyboard

I agree with ya monster-the cash cow never gets fat enough and everybody gets their hands on the udder-then you're in the same situation.
But I think some regs could be put in place and more medical research into marijuana. :)

Gb

Good lord might just have to move there... Mountains, Skiing, & legalized weed... Sounds like Utopia to me!

:holysheep:

I'm a Colorado native and it does my heart good to see all the progressive marijuana thinkers in my home state. The decades long litany of lies is over... Their little drugwar game is up... Check Flippin' Mate, Drug Czar...:hubba:

Peace!:cool:

smokeytimes said:
FruityBud I wish there were a lot more LEO's with your mindset.

:rofl: :rofl:

Yeah FB, tell us again about your days in the force!!:D

Latest posts

Back