My first hydro grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zem, actually, I am one who is on time. When I first moved to this little mountain town, it surprised people because everyone here is usually late. I hate to wait for people and do not think other people should have to wait for me. We do get into stuff we do not anticipate, but if I believe that I might be late for a subsequent appointment, I always tell the people. I do do a huge amount of work for people who are not there, I either have a key to their home or they have one hidden I can access.

DGF, you would be surprised. I re-plumbed an entire house for my best friend and charged nothing. I am now doing a complete master bathroom remodel for a friend--he moved the bathroom from one side of the house to the other. Free again. I could go on and on. I do not charge my good friends. Sometimes people get sneaky though. One of my friends just goes to the credit union and puts money in my account. Another buys me gifts that I cannot afford. Others help me with things I am doing around the house or haul things. We are a small close-knit community and it is going to be hard to leave here.

Weedhopper, yeah no plumbers crack....when I tell people that, they seem kind of disappointed :confused::rofl:

Budz, sorry to get off track here. Fifteen feet is still quite close. At least you have a sink in the vicinity of your garden, that will be fine. I had a friend who grew in a basement and had no sinks down there at all. What a pain! Well we took care of that!

Im never disappointed whens a man keeps his crack hid. Just plain nasty. Yuk
As a painter i just wanna fill it with Caulk. Lol

C-mon THG.. could use you over here! LOL. I wonder what the plane ticket would cost... PM me what state you live in again please, I can not remember. If I bought you round trip tickets, would you consider coming for an install? Sounds crazy right? I have nobody I can trust that plumbs, let alone attaining a new plumber type of friend!!

Basically I need a connection from under my home (modular type of mobile thingie) and that will have to be run under ground for roughly 75 feet.. then put upstairs and big "work sink" added. Then drained, but that part heck I could work out. Don't have to plumb that to the septic (though it's right there) I could just get a pipe to go down and out into the ground. Good stuff :) I could even go to the bottom... collect that, and spread it around. Hmm.. great idea!

It's getting a pipe in the ground and done properly that is just out of my league. :(
I imagine things either go below "frost line" or there's a special pipe that I use or something.

Also sorry for slight thread jackings :D :aok:

Put up a water tank and use Gravity.

Sorry Bro,,but where im from lots of peeps have water tanks and or wells in the country.
Hell ive got neighbors in DALLAS with rain barrels all over the damn place.

No worries WH. Around these parts, that's a bit of an "odd" site.

I live in the Metroplex. The lady across the street has 4 Rain Barrels, ,the guy nxt to her has an inground water tank.
Now,,me i would just run water from his house,,but I've worked in Construction all my life.

As a painter i just wanna fill it with Caulk.

I bet you do, maybe change your name to Crackhopper lol.

Nah,that sounds to much like a Crack Head. Lol
Plus im not much on Crack Hopping. :rofl:

DGF:

I notice you have two air lines going into each 18g tote, is that because you have 2 airstones, or am I missing something here.

If you do use 2 stones in each tote, would you think a 2" cylinder type would be good for 10g tote? I had to switch back to the 10g setup....saves me a lot of room in my tent.

I have the active aqua 2" cylinder ones now, one in each 10g tote....bubbles are nice, but your thoughts kind sir?

I am pretty sure I have the same pump as you, based on the pic in the DIY thread. Active aqua 4 port, 15l/minute

I like to put 2 air stones in every tote just to make sure that there is enough air or that the roots will still be getting oxygen if one of the stones clogs. It doesn't take long for roots sitting in un-oxygenated water to turn brown and icky.

I like to put 2 air stones in every tote just to make sure that there is enough air or that the roots will still be getting oxygen if one of the stones clogs. It doesn't take long for roots sitting in un-oxygenated water to turn brown and icky.

Gotcha, how often should I be changing the rez out? I heard to top it off until your ready to flip the lights back, then change it out completely. Is that ok for DWC? I was told by my local grow store guy with an ebb & flow you need to change it out every 7-10 days, is the difference due the oxygen being replenished by the air pump, where an ebb & flow doesn't do that?

FYI: I will get pics up, I am just waiting for my new tent, then once everything is 100% I will post.

DGF:

I notice you have two air lines going into each 18g tote, is that because you have 2 airstones, or am I missing something here.

If you do use 2 stones in each tote, would you think a 2" cylinder type would be good for 10g tote? I had to switch back to the 10g setup....saves me a lot of room in my tent.

I have the active aqua 2" cylinder ones now, one in each 10g tote....bubbles are nice, but your thoughts kind sir?

I am pretty sure I have the same pump as you, based on the pic in the DIY thread. Active aqua 4 port, 15l/minute

2" is fine, but I much prefer 4".. and yes, I use 2 stones per bin. For the reasons THG stated. More aeration = happier roots. And yeah, I have that 4 port and I have the "super" (lol) 8 port model as well.

Soon, for my 55gal drums, I'm going to use 4 stones in each one of those.

Gotcha, how often should I be changing the rez out? I heard to top it off until your ready to flip the lights back, then change it out completely. Is that ok for DWC? I was told by my local grow store guy with an ebb & flow you need to change it out every 7-10 days, is the difference due the oxygen being replenished by the air pump, where an ebb & flow doesn't do that?

FYI: I will get pics up, I am just waiting for my new tent, then once everything is 100% I will post.

Top off till lights go 12/12, but I change my 18 gals every 4 weeks. I use about 8 gal of solution in there. Gets the water right around the bottom of the mesh pot. As for your guy.. I have no idea what he's doing. I think PJ changes every 2 weeks. I'm going to be doing just that more than likely. I'll be keeping up on fresh nutes now that it'll be easier to change out. 18 gal DWC is great..... for 1 plant and a small op. Not for what I'm doing!

just got some "t" fittings and now have 1 2" and 1 4" stone in each tote, I already had the 2" ones, so I got 4 4" ones to pair with them....bubbles are insane.

TY guys for the help

I change out my reses every 7-10 days, both DWC and ebb and flow. I like to inspect the roots of the plants and clean the res. If you are using a large res and do not actually change out buckets or totes, this may be hard. Plants do not uptake the different nutrients at the same rates, so you can get where your solution could be very high in something and low in something else, hence the entire bucket change. I know that some people never change their buckets out, but I find that simply topping up periodically did not work well for me.

I actually usually run 2 lines and 2 stones to each bucket/tote, so like a 6 port pump does 3 buckets/totes.

how often i change my res is dependent on plant health, sometimes i would go up to 4 weeks, other times, the plants seem to ask for more in lesser time, i find myself changing within a week, but i would guess that my average is 14-18 days

When "the drift" is too fast in either direction, I believe it's time to change no? Isn't that the rule of thumb? (I'm just sorting this out currently personally lol)

Looks like I am having a ca deficiency, tiny brown spots on leaves....I will post a pic when my wife gets home, for some reason my iphone wont cooperate.

PH:6.1 66*F
PPM: 570 (500 scale) Feeding regimen calls for 800 ( I want to keep it lower than the chart says)

Although I am not sure if the chart is based on the 500 scale or the 700 scale....still very confused by that.

I do have cal/mag I can add...thoughts?

how big are they? ph in hydro is best at 5.5-5.8 range. 6.1 is high. pics definitely help at this stage

Latest posts

Back