Air tanker sprayed flame retardant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growernorcal

Reaction score
Hi we had a recent fire and almost lost our house. I have 6 plants that are near harvesting. When the air tanker sprayed red phosphorus retardant a small amt got on leaves and tiny amt on buds. I was wondering if I can still wait till harvest and trim the tiny bit of retardant from plants would it still be safe to smoke? Just in case there may be a tiny bit of residue left on some. Plants are very green and healthy just has tiny bit of pink on leaves and buds. 2 of them got crispy leaves from hot air from fire. They are doing OK also. Is the toxicity a concern since it is in very small amts? Thanks for any advice.

Im not expert on whats in that stuff. But personally I would just be happy I still have my house and toss it all. If its visually on parts of it, its likely on most of it. But that's just me.

Thank you for your response. I totally said the exact same thing. However having roughly about 3% red phosphorous flame retardant on them did not seem like a significant amt. I had to remove a few broken branches that had split due to high winds. It was fairly easy to cut it off buds, however I wanted to know that if there were trace elements of the retardant that were overlooked would it be a danger for me to smoke having copd, severe asthma along with Barretts esophagus that I suffer from as well. Thanks

I just read a couple articles and it sounds like it's safe.... if we're talking about the same stuff. The red stuff the planes drop on wildfires.

http://www.sgvtribune.com/2016/07/2...ildfires-safe-for-humans-and-the-environment/

Search Google for "Red Fire Retardant" with "My garden" and you should find an answer.

If it was dangerous to vegetable gardens, they would probably make a big deal about telling everyone in the area after they spray so I am guessing...... it's not dangerous. The ingredients are not anything dangerous. Seems more dangerous to fish and water than people on dry land.

According to what I read, California State uses a ton of this and Cali won't even let your car breath so something tells me they wouldn't be spraying poison all over the state. (Albeit, you never know). LOL

Thanks so much. That put at ease a little more. I will check the garden link you left as well. Appreciate it.

you might call the fire department and ask them for some info---specifically if it's ingested---you might tell them you been breathing in clouds of it while the local gardeners are running their blowers---you may have eaten it in your veggies---if you call from a pay phone---you might just ask tell them they dusted your medical herb---what should you do

I would definitely call the state or county agricultural department and say you got flame retardant on your garden is it safe? and they should be able to tell you.

Latest posts

Back