Massproducer's Coco buckets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:farm: MassProducer I have just joined MPF :woohoo: the info found here is the BEST!
:heart: :dancing: :heart:
I have grown outside for 20+years. Just moved indoors the first problem :hairpull: Spider mites.
solved thanks to you and HICK. I plan to post my closet growroom design after it proves to work. I haved used a soil pot design that is the same as your buckets, they work fantasticly outside, I am glad to find out they work indoor as well. Is black all right for inside? :confused: If black is use outdoor the sun heat the soil to much.:mad:
Again Thanks to All for sharing:48: :watchplant:

yup, you sure can use black buckets inside... I would recommend something that makes it hard for light to get through to the root mass, It is not as important as it is with traditional hydro because the coco coir will eat any light that does happen to enter the buckets

docfishwrinkle said:
hey mass! best thread read in while. i have couple questions. 1st of all i was wondering about worm castings, i can't find up here in MI within few minutes of house. my question is out of these existing items laying around in my basement: bone & blood meal, mushroom compost, kelp meal, epsom salt, & terra cycle castings(various castings pelletized/granular), would that be enough to sustain & even better make them thrive? id be useng grounds & eggshells also.do you use any lime in your mix cause i dont recall you mentioning it? just dawned on me you said coco has 6-7 ph. if you feel so kind maybe help me in order of layers if i can get away w/ what i have. noobie here & still learning npk values for different amendments. what could be minimum # of layers, im thinking of going 4-5? love the fact that its somewhat of a set it & forget grow. oh yeah one last thing i promise, ill be putting 16"-20" plants from one gallon pots into 5 gal. is this ok? thanks for everything in advance.

Yeah everything sound great, you do not have to worry about the worm castings, because the coffee grinds will do a lot of what the castings do, so you should be perfectly fine.

I do not use lime because I do not have to worry about the ph too much because of the ph of the coco and the fact that the beneficals will take care of a lot of that for me, also adding the eggshells is basically like adding lime, because eggshells are basically the same thing, eggshells are basically like 97% calcium carbonate, same as lime.

I like to use about 4-5 layers, adding more coco to each layer until the top layer is basically all coco and amendments.

A 5 gallon bucket should work great for plants that size, you are going to have some monsters on your hands in a few weeks, good lick and keep us informed

massproducer said:
Yeah everything sound great, you do not have to worry about the worm castings, because the coffee grinds will do a lot of what the castings do, so you should be perfectly fine.

I do not use lime because I do not have to worry about the ph too much because of the ph of the coco and the fact that the beneficals will take care of a lot of that for me, also adding the eggshells is basically like adding lime, because eggshells are basically the same thing, eggshells are basically like 97% calcium carbonate, same as lime.

I like to use about 4-5 layers, adding more coco to each layer until the top layer is basically all coco and amendments.

A 5 gallon bucket should work great for plants that size, you are going to have some monsters on your hands in a few weeks, good lick and keep us informed
music to my ears! im supercropping @ moment to scrog if my slow flowering of previous grow will ever finish. its @ 12 wks flower!also i found coco coir years ago for reptiles. you can get 3 bricks which makes 21-24 liters for $7 @ local pet shop. food for thought.

great thread MP, useless and i have talked for hours on the original hempy buckets, he also uses co2, sealed chambers, and verticle lighting to maximize growth.

loved the thread bro- great job!

Everything looks perfect lyfr, you have everything you need. Let me know if you need any help layering your buckets or with anything else, trust me it will be very fun, I think you will really like this method.

docfishwrinkle said:
very simple & educated overview thanks. ironically ive been useing this stuff for a while only on various lizards, amphibians, & arachnids. i have 6 bricks laying in my basement. which will probably make up 3-5 gal buckets.
3 bricks when mixed in porportion will make 6-2.5 gal buckets 1/2 of what i thought. yeah 6 bricks overkill, but will seal in 5g buckets & its ready for next time.

i converted last night. heres recipe for "soil" mix & tea. let me know please if there is anytrhing that should be takin into consideration. my one worry is about tea if i should dilute b/4 feeding to ladies.

"soil"
1st layer-100% perlite(1/2" above overflow hole),1tsp pulverized eggshell, 1/2tsp lime

2-75% perl(5c), 25% coco(1.5c)

3-50% perl(2.5c), 40% coco(2c), 10% mush. compost(.5c)

4-25% perl(1.5c), 75% coco(3.75c), 1tsp terracycle guanos(npk=5-3-4),
3 tbs bone meal(6-12-0)

5th-0% perl, 100% coco(5c), 1c kelp(1-0-2), 1/2c blood meal(12-0-0)

in trans plant hole on bottom .5c colonized coffee grounds spread evenly then plant & .5c grounds packed in sides & topped w/ coco.

tea (2gal)

2c mush. compost

2c kelp

2tsp fish emulsion

2tbl molasses

.5tsp epsom salt

2tbs araga-might

araga-might is used to buffer, stabilize, & remineralize ro water for reef aquariums. contains calcium, carbonate, strontium, magnesium, & potassium. all aereated 24 hrs, water decanted, & diluted w/ 2 gal ro for use.

hers pics

DSCN1090.JPG

DSCN1091.JPG

DSCN1092.JPG

DSCN1093.JPG

DSCN1094.JPG

DSCN1095.JPG

DSCN1096.JPG

DSCN1098.JPG

DSCN1099.JPG

Looking very nice doc, I am not sure how I missed this, but either way you have everything under control. Everything sounds and looks great. I do not have any experience with araga-might but it sounds great as well.

With the tea you want to dilute it because you are extracting all of the soluable nutes from whatever is in your tea. So your 2 gallons of tea will go quite a ways, I dilute it to about 10 parts unchlorinated water to 1 part brewed tea. So your tea will feed about 20 gallons of medium.

Also you will want to feed them lightly everyday until the growth takes off, as then you will know that they have reached the rez.

I have not been updating things as much as I should have so here i am with a few pics.

Firstly we have some Mendo purps - sativa pheno, it has the most delightful skunky, grape Kool-aid smell and taste. This is truly one of the best strains i have tasted in my life, and i do not say things like this normally. This perticular pheno will be in my garden for a very long time to come. When it comes to taste, this is right up there with sour diesel.

mendo sat pheno.jpg

Picture 172.jpg

Picture 175.jpg

next we have a big sativa dominate BC kush. This plant is huge, it has a nice hashy, kushy smell and a refreshing sour citrus hashy flavor. This is not my favorite kush pheno, but it is a classic kush, growing on a sativa frame, it also has a very unique high. It has a strong heavy kush high but also can be racy if you smoke more then you really should.

It is really starting to fill out now

Picture 168.jpg

Picture 165.jpg

Lastly we have an indica dominate Purps. This is somewhat different then its sister. This purps is very indica, with very tight internodes, and a killer couch-lock high, and i mean killer. This pheno doesn't have any of the skunky smell that the sativa pheno does, instead it has a candied or baked blueberry spice smell, when I say spice, i do not mean a peppery spice, more like a cinnimon/nutmeg baked smell. All of this is undertoned by a very pungent hashy smell. Some would say that this actually has a better, more complex smell and flavor then the other pheno, but I am a lover of fruity skunky, diesel flovered herbs, and that is what the sativa pheno is, it is kind of like sour diesel crossed with purple urkel. But as i said, this indica pheno is also a keeper and kills the sativa pheno in pure potency power. This is the herb that will put you to sleep very quickly, while the sativa pheno will have you wanted to go party. But they are both happy weeds.

It is only a few weeks into flowering now, so I will update when she gets older

Picture 167.jpg

Thanks smoke, I am sure loving my new buckets because they make me look good...LOL

massproducer said:
Looking very nice doc, I am not sure how I missed this, but either way you have everything under control. Everything sounds and looks great. I do not have any experience with araga-might but it sounds great as well.

With the tea you want to dilute it because you are extracting all of the soluable nutes from whatever is in your tea. So your 2 gallons of tea will go quite a ways, I dilute it to about 10 parts unchlorinated water to 1 part brewed tea. So your tea will feed about 20 gallons of medium.

Also you will want to feed them lightly everyday until the growth takes off, as then you will know that they have reached the rez.
thanks for all the info much appreciated. yeah the tea was diluted 1:1 & dispersed between 6 plants, so roughly a heavy 1/2 gal per plant! i now added more distilled water to dilute & fill "res"(1/2g per plant). reason being figure roots will be there in min of 7 days. only a thin layer of coffee grounds seperates root ball from top of res layer. they came from 3/4g pots. i'll keep you informed through a GJ i started way back. ill put in signiture if youre interested. sorry if it felt as i was starting to jack your thread.

not at all doc, this tread is for everyone who would like to try this method, or even anyone is is simple interested. Never feel like you can't post in here, the fact is that you guys are the ones really keeping this thread alive, which I would love it to evolve into a massive 40 pagee thread, listing everyones results and pitfalls.

Respect and keep it green, or purple!

massproducer said:
The wonderful thing about Coco coir is that it is so great at harbouring beneficals. It is 100% organic, meaning the beneficals are actually eating the medium, so it does have to be replaces ever year or two, but the beneficals totally thrive, which makes your plants thrive.
forget post # , but 1st page w/ pics showing mixes of layers

Yup you sure can, you just need to remove some of the coco in order to relayer your buckets and then you are good to go. However because coco coir is an organic medium, it will eventually breakdown and need to be replaced.

godspeedsuckah said:
Hey mass, can you reuse the coco coir for future grows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back