LED Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blancolighter

Reaction score
Well, the past 2 months have been long and hard. I'm new to this growing thing and have been subjecting my plants to every hardship possible, nute burn, over and under watering, bad PHing and so on. Well I've finally stabilized those girls and put them in flowering, but not before I got good heathly clones from them.

So in this journal I'll follow the clones I just put in, which are as follows, 2 Mangos, 2 Sensi Stars, 1 Afghan, and 1 Macado.

For Lighting right now I am using a Procyon 100 LED light. The clones seem to be enjoying it and growing quickly without stretching (though I could be wrong). Right Now I'm vegging with the Procyon and Flowering with a HPS, but I might keep the Procyon with these girls all the way through flowering, because I know there's alot of curiuosity about what kind of quality plants LED lights produce.

I've got em planted in 8 inch clay pots with ProMix. I plan on fertilizing with DynaGrow tonite. I have a bag of seabird guano I would like to use, but I'm unclear as to whether or not I should let it sit and ferment a bit before feeding my plants with it, so untill I figure that out, I'll use dynagrow. I'm gonna start at 1/4 strength for these guys and see how they like it.

I'll get some more pics tonite when I water and feed them.

Oh if anyone could give me some direction about letting the guano stew or not, I would really appreciate it. Thanks for checking out my grow!

DSC_11.JPG

Hey Blanco...there is something of a learning curve for all of us when just starting out...at least you didn't kill them all, like I did with my first run...I learned from it tho, so it is all good, eh? I've been using modern growing methods (first learned to grow back in the '70s, but didn't grow for 35 years) for about 4 years now, and have gotten to where I'm very happy with the medicine that I'm growin'. Just keep at it, and learn from your mistakes and soon you'll be growing some of the best meds you've ever seen.

I use guano as a top dressing for my soil...I use a small rake to get it down into the top couple of inches of the soil, then the water washes through it and carries it down to the roots...

Hope this helps...

Peace...j.b.

I have a bag of seabird guano I would like to use, but I'm unclear as to whether or not I should let it sit and ferment a bit before feeding my plants with it
Hey blanco', when I use guano, I sprinkle it into a bucket, then I add hot water to it and stir very well. The guano I use is fossilized. There's lumps of it as hard as pebbles. It would take months for this to break down by itself in the soil. The hot water makes it break down a lot faster. When I'm happy that it's broken down ok, I just dilute the mixture with cold water and use.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the guano help guys! Those pellets are crazy hard! I've been crushing em up with a hammer and then dissolving them in warm water. Sounds like u got the process down RunbyHemp, thanks for the knowledge. So JB247, how long does that guano last when you put it in the top soil like that?

I got some more photos today that I'll post up tonite, thanks again guys.

I let my real guano (bat's dried bowel movement) 1 to 3 tbsp per gallon of water in the jug sitting for 3 days before i pour it to the soils all around..

not really hard and I do love the real stuff..

Sorry for no posts in a sec, I still haven't had internet installed at my house so finding a safe place to discreetly do things is tough... Anyways, the girls are lookin great, added another Macado (I dont know the spelling of this guys, but thats how it sounds) to the family. They're lookin great veggin under the procyon more. Look heathly and showing vigorous growth. I don't think they're stretching, but this is my firstish rodeeoo so you be the judge of that, and maybe tell me?

The girls in the pics are: Front row: Sensi Stars. Second Row: Macados (sp?)
Third row on left: Afghan, on right: Mango. The back row are Mangos as well.

I'm using DynaGrow at half strength right now once a week. I accidently did twice in a week a sec ago, so the tips did burn a bit, but still all good.

The girls are also protected by my PSUEDOSCORPIONS! Mites Beware!

Thanks for lookin!

DSC_1198.JPG

DSC_1199.JPG

DSC_1200.JPG

DSC_1202.JPG

bombbudpuffa said:
You should put that light right at the tops of those plants,

oh yes, like 5 cm from the light...your lights dont burns as much floursec can by half inch away from the lights, even thought hps lights has to be 12 -18 inch away from the lights depends on the high wattage..

put these leds really close to the plants, would be super SWEET IMO!!:hubba:

bombbudpuffa said:
You should put that light right at the tops of those plants,

WEll I'm gonna get my chain out and try lowering this bad boy. However, this might be the first con of the Procyon, the lightspread. I noticed when putting up the light that I had to put it up a bit higher than I would have liked to get the lightspread I need. That was with my other crop though, which was a forest.

Anyways, I'll try lowering it and get back more about the light coverage.

Lookin nice, you might want to use plastic pots next go around. It would be lighter... Just sayin..

Well its been a sec since my last update, but since I just got the internet in my house, the updates should come more often. Well since the last post I've topped all the plants but the Sensi Stars, which I'll probably do later this week. I also lowered the light a bit. So the one possible quam about the LED light so far is the light coverage is pretty narrow when you try to get it real close to your plants. The plants, however, are looking great and it seems the love the LED.

These girls have grown since my last post! I didn't even Realize!

The plants are in the first 3 pics as follows: 1st row: Sensi Star. 2nd Row left: Afghan. 2nd row right: Mikado (finally found the right sp!) 3rd row left: Mikado. Remaining plants are Mangos.

My next pics are of the plants under the light and they show how far I was able to lower the light and still cover the plant area with light.

Ferret on the guard.

DSC_1221.JPG

DSC_1219.JPG

DSC_1220.JPG

DSC_1223.JPG

DSC_1224.JPG

DSC_1166.JPG

Nice grow man. Pretty interesting with the LED u got goin. Looks like they love it. Are those all clones? If so those look nice man. i've only tried a couple times but cloning seems a little tricky to me. Keep farmin

Nice one ;) Looking V good ;) Like the Feret as well ;)

Peace and good luck !!

Alright well another vegging update, nothing too exciting. There'll be a few more of these as I wait for my first batch of plants to finish flowering (shown in the 1st pic).

The plants are looking great, though I noticed some signs of nute deficiency so I brought the fert mix to full strength. I had been feeding them half the recommended amount of FF Grow Big. Sigh, my little girls are growing up so fast. They have all been topped and are growing nice and bushy. The Sensi Star is taking a bit longer to get up to size, but thats just the nature of the strain, squat and bushy.

So I wanted to make a few points here from what I've seen and maybe clarify a few things about LED lights. First off, the LEDs in my light are 5 watts each. Alot of other lights and DIY use the 1/2 watt and 1 watt type which just don't put out alot of light. People have been saying that LEDs can make a great canopy of leaves, but just can't penetrate it to grow anything beneath. As you can see with my plants, this isn't the case as there is healthy growth from top to bottom of the plants. I think its the 1/2 watt LED grow lights that this applies to. Same goes for the stretching rumors, as you can see, my plants aren't stretching either. So for Vegging in my experience, LEDs are great. I was reading in High Times that a UFO LED light they used produced more resin on its buds than its conventional lighting counterpart. This makes me tempted to keep the LED light with these gals throughout the flowering process as well. I guess we'll see though.

Pictures are as follows: First off we have the Mangos, they're branching out quite nicely. Next is a pic of the Mikados, thriving just like the Mangos. Third is the Afghan, gonna have to watch her, looks like she could take over some other plants space if left unchecked. Finally is a pic of the Sensi Stars, a bit squat, but still nice and healthy.
Next com two pics showing how they grow under the LEDs. One with flash, one without.

DSC_1232.JPG

DSC_1225.JPG

DSC_1231.JPG

DSC_1228.JPG

DSC_1229.JPG

DSC_1238.JPG

DSC_1237.JPG

Man I could use a fast forward button. Its gonna be a while before my current flowering batch is done and I really wanna put these ladies in now. Dang. Anyways, Trimmed them all up and took a nice set of clones. I don't have any room for mothers so I'm just taking clones from ones generation to the next. I have a record book so I know which clones off which plant to keep, depending on the taste and quality of the mothers.

Whenever I work in my grow room the ferret jumps in, he loooves being where he isn't allowed...

Transplanted a couple of clones, a Mango and Afghan, and threw them into the mix. They're kinda malnourished, so they'll be gettin some TLC here, starting with a good light source.

DSC_1243.JPG

DSC_1244.JPG

everything looks great man.

but i have a question, how is it goin with your electric bill?
does the LED waist a lot?

Rami, the LED does to the electric bill the exact opposite you asked about, makes it much cheaper. I run that guy 24/7 and it costs less than 5 bucks a month to run.

I was reading in High Times that a UFO LED light they used produced more resin on its buds than its conventional lighting counterpart.
I have that same issue. It also said it's yield wasn't comparable to it's counterpart, if i'm not mistaken. You do have some of the biggest, bushiest LED grown plants i've seen. I think you're doing an outstanding job:). I like the purple plants:D.

bombbudpuffa said:
I have that same issue. It also said it's yield wasn't comparable to it's counterpart, if i'm not mistaken.

Yep. You got that dead on. The UFO only uses 1 watt LEDs though, so I'm thinkin that had somethin to do with the yield. This also makes me curious to try a combination of both LED and HPS and see what happens. Thanks for the comment!

Latest posts

Back