Old Fogeys first ever legal grow journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trimmed up the plants this morning after a good watering yesterday. thinking i am going to flip them shortly. the plants themselves are pretty squat so my trimming didn't really open things up much but i have them down to 6 branches each at this point. some observations: the plants are not as woody as i have had in the past. the branches seem more pliable, almost weaker than i am used to. i think i have been over watering. a 4 day cycle may be too short. the satoris seem to have a cat urine smell but are some really robust plants. i'm gonna run out of space. i was planning on cloning but i don't have my act together so no clones this run. i also have some seeds that i want to run after this grow so that is another reason i chose to forgo cloning.

hahahahaha....yup need 9 and put down 9 fem beans and only 7 are worth a crap.....so next month drop down 15 and everything takes and so do the 23 clones....now that sir is my pickle ;)

Lots of plants in the 3x3. tbh I personally would only run 4 in a 3x3 maybe 6 tops but it will affect yield if they aren't trimmed up good. Now with that being said, very few people notice what a vegging pot plant looks like....you might be able to get away with vegging a few as mom's and just taking cuts off them to run with....you did say you have a small mom tent?

that is some math that i can't do this early, kraven. i have not had my morning brownie yet...

yes. i have a 2x4x4 mom tent which i used as my full on grow tent for my first 5(?) grows. i am pretty good at growing in a cramped area but 10 is far too many plants in a 3x3. a guy i work with says his brother in law now has a couple of pot plants as house plants since we are in a legal state. my wife is after me to get rid of some of my real house plants so i doubt i will have any luck offering up that option to her... ;)

I'm sure you will get it all figured out...overall it's a better problem to have than not enough or sick ones. Still hard to cull...I even still hate it.

yep. first world problems as the kids say. i have a new idea. i might rotate the 10 plants(depending on how many of the satoris turn out female) between my 2 tents. using my t5 flower setup in the mom tent and the led in the flower tent until a couple of weeks before chop-chop. or not. i am a bit flighty lately. deciding to decide to make a decision isn't my strong suit. and i am really good at making really bad choices so i have that. i have to learn to accept that learning comes from making mistakes as well as making good decisions. **** or get off the pot as they say... thanks for your support though, kraven and all of you on mp for that matter. i am not as manic-depressive/ocd as i may seem to be from my posts... :icon_smile:

OF your no different than any grower I know, you want your plants to do the best they can. Your good at growing because you take care of the details, but alas it's in the details that we find the conundrums. And so goes the tail chasing a good grower does ;)

i am a helicopter grower. i hover around the plants constantly. and if my rotors stop, i will autorotate and crash anyway. and like a bumblebee, i really should not be able to fly...

honestly, i wish i could have an old folks home for my plants where after i strip off the buds, i retire them to a greenhouse where they live out their natural lives playing euchre and bingo waiting for their clones to come visit.

i think i need to go smoke some doob. i am getting a little weird...

Flipped to 12/12 lighting with the plants first 'night' today from 6 am to 6 pm. Had to put a heater in the room as the temp in the tent was around 63 degrees. After I put the heater on it was around 68.

Good luck in flower OF.....cant wait to see the bud show. Im interested in that led you have.

Thanks Lesso. I don't think I will be giving it a fair chance. My tent is over crowded. I hope it turns out ok though. The plants seem to love vegging under it though. I have the darkest green plants I have ever grown.

It will turn out epic. Remember at 10 days go back in and clean the lowers again....and anything that is not 2 feet from the canopy needs to go. Then from the inside out and from top to bottom look them over and remove any fans that are covering bud sites. If you have a bunch only take one a day. You dont want to defoliate too much....but you do want light to be able to "get down" into your canopy. Good luck and green mojo.

Well, i just got caught up.. Looks like you have some awesome help in Kraven, i am watching and learning too.
This is a great journal.. Thanks OF.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, kraven. I don't think I cleaned the plants up enough. They don't look like your examples. There are not a heck of a lot of leaves to remove. The plants are very squat and the fan leaves are huge (especially the satori plants fans some of which are bigger than my hands). I am a chicken about over trimming. I used to have a friend who grew tomato plants that were so gigantic that he would have to tie them up to the gutters on his roof. 10 footers. He treated his plants really roughly but he said they loved it and judging by his plants, I'd have to agree. I probably should've been more aggressive but I wasn't so i am sure I will not have the epic buds you get. I pretty much got rid of all but the 6 healthiest branches and any older cruddy looking leaves. Opened it up a little but I doubt I did it aggressively enough so I don't envision nice chunky colas like you get plus I just have too many plants in there. I didn't have the time/energy to set up the mom tent I have either so the over crowding will only get worse. I am out of town until Wednesday morning so I can't get any pics to show what I mean. I appreciate your help though. I am hoping that just having fewer branches will make a little difference. Thanks again. And Rose, thanks for looking in. I would not gauge Kravens method by this journal though since I have not copied it very well. I am thinking my attempt is akin to leaving out the baking soda when making banana bread. It'll taste like banana bread but won't look like a good loaf...

Just looked at your most recent journal entry, Kraven. I failed in my trimming. Bummer...

:rofl: Your not a failure dude, your learning something new and if you got it right the first time that would have been incredible.

Man, no worries. It is a learning process and every strain will need to be treated a bit differently.....well following the same guidelines as close as possible. The thing is this time you did something a bit different...now lets see how the results come out. I bet better than you think. It's not about stripping the plant its more artistic....you want to help guide the plants energy...in the end that is the goal, and you try each grow to find what works and what doesn't. Each grow I learn and fine tune, it never changes....no two grows are ever alike. I promise...once you will go too far and hurt your yield and many time your not gonna go quite enough and it's not gonna make much of a difference...but when you get it right and you will, it will increase your harvest significantly. The other thing that comes to mind is that one grower simply cannot compare him/herself to another grower simply because you cannot replicate two separate environments....just cant. So all the general things apply to all the growers and as you try to get more dialed into your space and methods of growing the more you find that individualization is needed. I've seen your grows and your a good grower, your smart and you pay attention to the details.

Kraven, OF, cheers, Just cruising through and my .02 is like a friend would say way back when we were skiing that "if you're not falling, you're not going to learn much". Using that metaphor, when we stay with what we know, not too much gets learned, pretty much true with any life experience.
Being members/contributing in this forum, we get the added reinforcement that someone else has done it, and been successful. No reason not to try ourselves.

Words of wisdom, Dan. I know this won't be a disaster. I am just a very negative, self-deprecating person. I could grow watermelon sized buds and I'd probably find some sort of issue with it. Thanks for all the help and positive vibes to everyone on here. My supervisor at work has been hammering me for years to try to think more positively. My response is always that I am positive I won't be able to change my own self image. I think it is the Swedish genes in me...

OF, I'm coming from the make your own reality side, another pertinent quip I picked up along life's highway was "Never cut yourself down, someone's always willing to do that for you", followed with "never judging yourself by someone else's measure". Our only limits are those we place in front of ourselves. We can always backtrack and figure out what we did wrong when we fail, but if we never venture outside our limits...
PS I'll be a young 66 next week, so don't let age slow you either. Peace.

You know why 6 is afraid of 7,Dan?

Latest posts

Back