Outdoor grow with 20% horse manure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amaryt

Reaction score
Good morning. I have been growing outdoors in store bought potting soil for five years now, but this year I was short on funds. I got some advice from other growers I know and online and I bought a truckload of local dirt that I amended. I amended with soil conditioner (a brown mixture that included bark and broke up the heavy soil pretty well), perlite, peat moss and horse manure. I transplanted from Roots Organic soil into this mixture. They are doing really well with no shock. I only used about 20% manure though. My question is when should I stay fertilizing again?

Welcome Amaryt,

I hope your horse manure was well rotted. That is a tricky question about when to feed. You seem to be organic. What are you using for fertilizer? I am glad you have the perlite as your soil sounds kinda heavy. How long ago did you put the plants in this new soil? You could use teas weekly, with some well-rotted manure and a tsp of molasses and aerate or bubble the teas. We have a good organics section. I am happy they look good. Ask lots of questions and we will help. pictures are awesome too.

Thank you for your reply. I am trying to be organic, and I'm on a tight budget this year. The manure I used was at least a year and a half old, maybe two years. It was well shredded. I also used peat moss and soil conditioner from the local nursery. It is actually draining very well. Just wondering about the nutrient levels, because I've seen much stronger manure mixtures recommended, but that was all I had. The mix came out about 20% manure. I transplanted on Monday, 7/3. They are in their new soil almost a week and have each grown a couple of inches with plain water. Bright green shoots everywhere. I will try to post some pics but I'm having technical difficulties with that. So I wonder when will I need to add fertilizer?

Do you know what kind of fertilizer you will be using?

Yes. General Organics hydroponics mix. I just mix it up and feed them in their water.

Latest posts

Back