x-plant from solo cups to veg pots question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunakard2000

Reaction score
ok so iv got 6 seedlings with their 3rd set of leaves comming in and i feel that at day 10 in the solo cups they look good to x-plant... my question is.. iv read in a thread which i cant seem to find again that said its a good idea to plant deeper so the lanky stem, seed leaves and first set of single leaves are under soil as they are good rooting material, and leaving the 3rd+ sets of leaves above the soil level... is this a good idea? iv snugged them down close to the top of the soil but never burried the seed leaves or first single leaf set.. any ideas/tips appreciated

i am not to sure but i would cover them up about 1 inch of the stem from the roots just to be sure they don't come up

That is not a critical issue either way, but if the seedlings have stretched a good bit then you can bury them deeper when you transplant. It doesn't hurt to bury the seed-leaves as they will shortly wither and fall off when their purpose has ended, if they haven't already. If you bury them deeper it will cause them to produce more roots along the buried part of the stem, which is beneficial for the plant. It also doesn't hurt to bury them right up to the first set of leaves as those will eventually die as well when the plants get bigger. Just don't let the dead leaves sit on the soil as decomposition will encourage unwanted pathogens and critters. :)

Latest posts

Back