Melvanetics BeP and Super Buckeye grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
topped the two super buckeyes. gave another 2 liters per plant of dechlorinated water to each plant. they are now in trays so the soil can soak up the moisture. the soil seemed pretty dry today for just having watered yesterday. they were pretty dry though.

topped the two super buckeyes. gave another 2 liters per plant of dechlorinated water to each plant. they are now in trays so the soil can soak up the moisture. the soil seemed pretty dry today for just having watered yesterday. they were pretty dry though.

When watering drier soil, the run through can fool you into thinking the soil got watered. When in all actuality it just went down through the air pockets, and didn't water anything. Slower watering helps this as well as why we keep the saucers under the plants, I would rather have to dump water than see a plant not thrive.

makes sense. thanks.

i was looking at the ingredients on the roots organix soil. it is probably a little hot as they say. it has good stuff in it to begin with. mel said it looked like i might be going too strong with the nutes. probably anything right now is unnecessary. i think the soil has the goods...

makes sense. thanks.

i was looking at the ingredients on the roots organix soil. it is probably a little hot as they say. it has good stuff in it to begin with. mel said it looked like i might be going too strong with the nutes. probably anything right now is unnecessary. i think the soil has the goods...

I have just switched from FFHF to vermifire and vermiworm. Everyone said it might be hot, but plants just took off in it, so I guess it's not as hot or the worm castings cooled it

My last two grows were watered from the bottom only. This keeps the top 2" or so of soil dry, which in turn eliminates soil gnats. Also, another tip I use is, I put small clay pots on the bottom of the large pots to help wick the water up. The water seldom stays in the saucers more than an hour or two. I also use straight water first, example : give `em 2 cups of plain water, followed by as many cups of nute water as needed. Works for me.

thanks yooper. i watered from the top yesterday and had about a 1/2 inch of water in the drip trays after about 5 minutes. i left them to saok over night and all the drainage water was soaked up or evaporated.the bottoms of the pots seem very damp to me after 12 hours. i would guess the roots have not reached that point yet so they are not soaking up the water. i have heard of root rot. is that a concern with bottom watering?

btw - my plants seem to be happier now that they got a good watering and are maybe spreading their roots throughout the pots. more baby pictures tomorrow...

There's a great product available now for keeping your buckets lifted up out of the run off water, Clean Roots platforms.

http://www.cleanrootscorp.com/

They go in the drainage tray and the plant sits on top, run off water goes into drip pan. I have some of these platforms in my bloom room now. They're made from hard molded plastic, very strong.

I am going to go out on a limb(pun intended) and say that you are not a fan of runoff water, Mel. lol. I have used cookie cooling racks the past couple of grows to elevate my pots out of the run off. I think the pots needed a good soaking any way. The plants seem a lot happier now that they have some water through out all the soil. I know plants excrete some toxins into the soil and that the toxins need to be washed away with the waste water. I will be keeping that in mind. Thanks.

todays pics. 30 days from sowing the seeds...

first 2 pics are super buckeye #1(burn-ice(pronounced bernice) because of the nute burn)
next 3 are the buckeye purple
last 2 are super buckeye #2

as you can see, i am lst'ing the super buckeyes so they will (hopefully) stay in the same height range as the purple. pots still have moisture from watering 2 days ago. tent temp is 73.5 and humidity is 35. really, really cold out here so it is what it is in my grow room...

View attachment IMG_0325.jpg

View attachment IMG_0326.jpg

View attachment IMG_0327.jpg

View attachment IMG_0328.jpg

View attachment IMG_0329.jpg

View attachment IMG_0330.jpg

View attachment IMG_0331.jpg

Increased air flow of any kind around your buckets is a good thing. Not just for the roots, but for the beneficial microbes that are in your soil that need oxygen.

Also, leaving the buckets to sit and soak up the drainage water can cause a myriad of problems. Mold on the roots, most often looks like a brown slime. You mess up your wet/dry cycle by having the lower few inches of dirt taking extra time to dry, even though the top layers are dry. You change ph in part of the bucket, meaning you can get partial lock out. The list just goes on and on.

In the end, healthy roots equal a healthy plant.

6.2 as your ph drop after adding feed doesn't leave much room for drift, as it's already on the high side. I would try to get it to at least 6.0, as low as 5.8, so you have plenty of range available without teasing that lock out zone.

I also want to add that it looks like there's touches of purple on the BP start already. If so, that's from mom.

Sorry for the book, keep up the great work.

thanks mel. i like to read responses so in my book, more is better. yes. the BeP is getting some purple. more than shows in the pics.

the ph of my water with full strength nutes is usually around 6.0 depending on if i add this stuff called black diamond(from GH). it is 'liquid humic acid'. spoda make the soil happier.

i have never tried leaving the ph that low though. i have used lime or ash to raise the ph up a bit (depending on if i am in veg or flower).

my root ball at the end of the plants life has always been a really dense ball. i am guessing that is a sign that the roots are healthy. i think they plants needed a good soaking and the trays i have helped that. the bottom of the pot seems pretty damp still so i removed the trays and just have the pots on my cookie cooling racks to help the bottom dry out a bit.

sorry for my book. and the lack of organization...

Thanks Mel . I read that letting MMJ sit in run off or soak up could cause problems.

Waiting for the click to come in and argue this point.

Looking good old fogey in still jealous you got this strain

I don't know about anyone else, but if i read click one more time i might barf. I will not answer your question when it is posed like that.

This is a FAMILY.... WE GOT SOME WEIRD RELATIVES. NO CLICK!

i only have the one purple going, stank so i am going to need some luck in hopes that it turns out female...

Last 2 grows were bottom watered only. No problems encountered. Upon completion the root ball looked just great to me. Not being an expert though, I can`t say for sure. Also think the clay pots inside do help.

did you ever flush the soil during your grows? i liked that the pots got good and evenly moist when i watered them while they were in the trays. i have in the past put the plants in the shower every few weeks and given them a good flushing followed by my normal watering just to try to rinse some of the salt build up from the felt. i was also surprised how the runoff was gone less than 24 hours after i watered the plants. i think i am going to use the trays but sparingly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back