Thinking about buying this BHO Extractor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didnt ask you to "buy" anything. Nor have I offered.

This I believe is an open forum, and I can share my opinion as I want to. We do still live in america.

If you think Im wrong in sharing my opinion that this is a dangerous process and can be a potential health risk if done improperly (like I see above) Then Im going to speak up.

Feel free to mute me if you like. Im waiting for someone to chime in and explain why whipping and open blasting are smart ideas.

Other than the fact one traps butane, and pentanes in the finished and how open blasting...even outside is smart.

Oh, and dont forget to mention why its not important to use a vacuum oven or at the very least a vacuum chamber.

Or why dewaxing is not important. Ill wait.

I don't have an opinion either way but let me play the devil's advocate....

These are all smart ideas because I was successful in making some awesome oil/wax that I am enjoying very much. I learned something new. And, I shared it with other people.

Now, it's your turn..... tell me why it's NOT smart.

:)

how long did it purge in the vac chamber, what butane did you use, did you have it lab tested for ppm levels of pentane and butane, how many times did you flip your cake, did it muffin up in the vac chamber, are you using the proper vaping devices to consume it, was the material foliar sprayed with anything while trichs were developing, were there fan leaves in it, mold, did you dewax or winterize it, ethanol wash...ect...ect...???

Im not trying to be a [dirty word to describe myself] here, im just firm and have seen faar to much sub quality methods and finished product being passed as safe practices.

For me, this isnt a hobby. Its my job. And forgive me for being passionate about safety and proper methods. Im shocked at the amount of resistance Im getting for making the statement:

"If you are not using the proper equipment AT LEAST, dont even bother"

Sorry not sorry if I come off brash. Nice to meet you all. Again.

how long did it purge in the vac chamber, what butane did you use, did you have it lab tested for ppm levels of pentane and butane, how many times did you flip your cake, did it muffin up in the vac chamber, are you using the proper vaping devices to consume it, was the material foliar sprayed with anything while trichs were developing, were there fan leaves in it, mold, did you dewax or winterize it, ethanol wash...ect...ect...???

Im not trying to be a [dirty word to describe myself] here, im just firm and have seen faar to much sub quality methods and finished product being passed as safe practices.

For me, this isnt a hobby. Its my job. And forgive me for being passionate about safety and proper methods. Im shocked at the amount of resistance Im getting for making the statement:

"If you are not using the proper equipment AT LEAST, dont even bother"

Sorry not sorry if I come off brash. Nice to meet you all. Again.

hey man---not brash at all---you are tossing around many a term leaving people in the head scratching mode---how bout you spot up a safe diy for those that do not have commercial grade equipment

My point exactly. There are some here who are more informed than myself, and Im wondering why they have not chimed in...

When we play baseball, we don't wear spikes. And the bases and not exactly regulation. Pretty close. And, we don't wear uniforms or numbers and, sometimes we smoke pot and drink beer on the field.

We are still playing baseball, albeit, not exactly like the pros. But, we are still playing the game of baseball. And, we keep score. And, we have innings and strikes and outs. Just like the pros.

We have just as much fun... probably more than the pros and we are both, "Playing Baseball".

I'm makin' hash oil. Shootin' butane through a kitchen baster and whippin' it good.

No, it's not just like the professionals do it. But, we're still both, "Makin' Hash Oil".

And, it's a good thing that there's a difference. If amateurs could do it as well with a kitchen baster as the pros can do with their ovens, vacs and ppm testers..... well, there would be no need for the pros now, would there.

LMAO

Love at all levels is still love.

Dude, dont whip it.

This is why I say, if you have the improper equipment dont bother.

...but I just finished running 50lb of good trim with a cls system then it spent three days in the vac oven.

I may not know everything, but the organic chemist we have on staff does.

Stop. Stick to bubble. For your own health and safety.

I whip, my finished products are posted...you clearly see the swirl marks..For making wax, whipping is essential! Mandatory....not for shatter or other concentrates...but for wax, u must whip...and the dispensary I deal with won't purchase unless lab tested through their lab folks(harborside health center, Oakland,ca.) always passes always top shelf.....for me that is...you talk a good game! But a pic is worth 1000 words...

And how else does one learn, unless trial & error..to simply tell someone trying to learn to stick to bubble..isn't helpful or constructive...it's u being an ***! You haven't gave a bit of helpful advise...just arrogant comments with no proof of you knowing anything...sounds like regurgitated nonsence...to me that is....

Well, I am out and I have come to like this stuff (LMAO) so I am making some more, today.

Same butane (5x filtered Whip-it brand). Same blaster tube (I am getting a bigger one). I will be using a better grade of weed this time.

When I bought this blaster, it came with free screens. 3 questions for anyone who can answer them........

Should I use a new screen each time I do this?

What is the best size screen to use?

How do I know what size screens these are?

Re-use the screen, they should be stainless. Use the largest size screen that does not let plant matter through, you can also use a coffee filter.

I would say that a 100u screen would probably be right. Not as clean and pure as a 25u but it's about as big as you can get without letting a lot of matter through. At least it's that way with the bubble bags.

Now, how do I measure the screens I have to see what they are?

coffee filters---forgot what ur blasting tube looked like---but if you can just cover the end with the coffee filter and zip tie it sealed---u be just fine

happy blasting

I am way too anal for coffee filters. I would have to know exactly what micron rating the coffee filter had and I would have to measure them each time to determine consistency in manufacturing. LOL

I do have silk screen cloth of various sizes. Same stuff the bubble bags are made of. I wonder if the butane would have an effect on that cloth. My guess is, yes.

I just blasted an ounce or 2. I packed it tighter this time than last. I used only one can of butane. Last time I used 2. I did use a new screen. I have a ton of them. Might as well use them. The other screen is pretty gunked up. I'll get to cleaning all that later.

Looks OK so far. Nice amber color. It is sitting in a pan of warm water right now. Should be ready soon. :)

Once again, I am less than satisfied.

This is the last time I am going to do this the wrong way. LOL

I mean, it's OK. And I love the new globe/vape thingy I bought to smoke it in. However, I am just less than satisfied with this entire experiment.

So, we'll try it again and see if we can't reach an acceptable level of satisfaction.

I have been watching a number of videos on this and I am getting few good ideas.

Of all the "amateur" videos I saw, one thing was common to all of them, the extraction method was always butane blasting. It seems that the different "curing" procedures after extraction are what give you wax or shatter or oil or whatever.

First of all, I bought another blaster. About 3 times bigger. Glass. Depending on packing, should hold 3 or 4 ounces.

I saw one nice tip. During the blast, wait for the butane to soak the weed, just as it starts to drip out of the bottom, stop blasting and sit for 30 seconds, blast again, sit again, blast again..... seems like that would allow the cannabinoids to join with the butane better than just washing it by quickly. Made sense.

I saw another where he used Everclear. Some of these videos are pretty darn amazing. I like the product the call "shatter". That's pretty cool.

I am going to do this again. THIS time, I am going to have some pretty pictures. ;)

Thanks to everyone for all the input. This has all been a great learning experience for me.

Really? It's that important, huh?

OK, I'll grab one. I don't know anything about them. I did read that the acrylic tops are bad for use with butane and I need to stick with a glass or polycarb top.

I'll go as small as I can get since I am making small batches, yes?

I like the shape and size of the wide and shallow models better than the ones that are shaped like a bucket, Seems like I would be able to put the glass dish I extracted to, right into the vacuum chamber like this one.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-6-Gallon-.../331303168483?pt=BI_Pumps&hash=item4d233529e3

Or, the one I linked to above has the glass dish as part of the vacuum chamber. So, blast right into that dish use the same dish for vacuum.

Sounds almost too easy. LOL

3 CFM single stage pumps seems to be pretty standard.

Any suggestions or comments before I buy are more than welcome.

The more I look at these, the more it looks like a pretty simple DIY project.

Since I'm just doing tiny loads and not very often, I have a hand pump I may be able to use.

What kind of negative pressure do we need to create?

Latest posts

Back