Flowering time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leafminer

Bloody H E L L !
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before. I've been thinking about it for ages.
The question is: Flowering time = time from going to 12/12 or time from when the first colas appear?
In my view it MUST be from when the colas appear. Reason? Otherwise the flowering time is always longer than the seed breeders quote. Notice how people here always say flowering takes LONGER than the variety is supposed to, according to the seed supplier?
For instance, my Black Dominas are now beginning week 5 according to the time "from 12/12". Supposedly the flowering time according to Sensi is 50 days. (7 weeks)
I can see that mine are not going to finish in another 2 weeks. No way!
(I'm not under-lamped by the way, I'm running 40K lumens on 2 plants, 7KL/ft sq.)
4 weeks would be the absolute minimum for mine now. But they took 2 weeks from going 12-12 to really show colas . . . so taking the time of flower from there, they've REALLY been in flower 3 weeks, plus 4 = 7, so by deduction I believe the seed suppliers are taking the flowering time from the appearance of the first colas. (And even then it would be early bud, not amber)

I put my plants in the flower room..12/12 thats the day they start flower...so I then go t the end date 7 or more weeks and note the Harvest is close..some will say when bud sites or pistols apear...but if ya think about it...pistols show in veg as well...just my thaughts:bolt::bong:

take care and be safe

Hey Leaf and Smoke,

Interesting timing here. I was just about to post a similar question. I currently have 3 Nirvana WW that have just finished their 12th week of flower. My last 2 grows, same everything (3 WW, lighting, nutes, etc) made it 11 weeks and I harvested @ 70/30 cloudy/amber. Currently I am at about 80/20 with 18 great sized colas that just keep getting bigger. Planning on another 2 weeks which puts me at 14 weeks total from the 24/7 to 12/12 change. I know that at least this strain of WW finishes late, but if you take into account the week or so it took to start showing buds, I am still way over the recommended flowering time.

I really think you just need to monitor your trichs and be confident in what your own eyes show you in order to harvest at the high you enjoy. Many of the experts on this site continually preach patience.

When the camera battery recharges I will post some pics.

Have a great day.

I don't have any trouble deciding when to harvest, it's just that with only one grow room I need to plan very precisely when I should take clones and so forth. My last Domina grow will flower outdoors in spring so the timing is critical. That's why I am so keen on getting an accurate time.

For my last grow I started counting from the first few pistils that grew, and they all, with the exception of one plant, took a couple weeks longer than the time specified by the breeders. Maybe it was something I did; I don't know.

well all the breeders and supliers I have talked to have said that the flowering time listed on the package is an estimate from the time the lights are switched, call it a marketing ploy, wrong, or whatever you want...they have always claimed that to be the time of complete flowering from the light change....and unfortunately I have always found them to be wrong...lol...they are done when they are done...and unless I can get my plants environment exactly as the breeders...then I will probably continue to harvest later than what they say I should.

I think the only way to know for sure is to grow the same strain several times...then you will have a better idea.

my plants are good to harvest 8 weeks after i turn my light 12/12. to be precise in timing you can only time from when the lights are switched else you might be off several days if you're relying on your eyes seeing the pistils and then deciding when it has begun. my plants almost always have pistils on them before i flower them so i guess it's from the day you switch 12/12

IME... seldom do he flowering times coincide with "advertised" times. Phenotypes, strains, environmental conditions, personal preference, ALL play a roll. In this world of "immediate gratification", it is benefficial to sales report/claim shorter maturation time.. IMO.
Bottom line is, when they're ripe, they're ripe"... be it 60 days or 100.

legalize_freedom said:
I think the only way to know for sure is to grow the same strain several times...then you will have a better idea.

That's the long and short of it, especially for you since you do both indoors and outside.

Also, the way you prefer your trics may call for a week more or a week less than some other growers preference along with everything else that goes into the equation.

It does seem that stated times are usually at least a couple weeks shy of reality.:holysheep:

DD

Latest posts

Back