Will heavy ballast fit on grow tent

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifsixwasnin9

Reaction score
My MH and HPS ballasts are real heavy, just wondering if they would fit on a grow tent. And the ballasts get hot.

Last edited:
No way I would do that. The weight probably isn't a problem but I would not want a hot ballast nestled in a cloth tent. Probably not good for the ballast or the tent.

Now, if you wanted to stretch a board over the top of the tent and set the ballast on the board, you might be OK.

I would also watch clearance between the top of the tent and the ceiling. You probably don't have much room.

Those ballasts have giant heat sinks on them for a reason. Let them breath.

What do grow tents use for lighting if you can't use a light ballast? I don't know much about grow tents.
I made my own setup and fixed the ballast to the wood posts. I'm debating whether a grow tent would be easier.

Last edited:
Yeah. What he said.

Put the ballasts outside of the tent. You dont need the extra heat.

What do grow tents use for lighting if you can't use a light ballast? I don't know much about grow tents.
I made my own setup and fixed the ballast to the wood posts. I'm debating whether a grow tent would be easier.

This really applies whether you have a tent, a box or a closet--you don't want your ballast inside the enclosure you are growing in. Most ballasts are located remotely away from the hoods by long electrical cords. So while you still use a ballasted light, you locate the ballast outside the tent (or other grow location) because of the heat the ballast puts out.

I actually hang my ballasts from a wall or something next to my tent/grow room so that air can get all the way around them to let them cool. If that doesn't cool them enough, I add a fan to blow on them. Keeping electronics cool adds to their life expectancy. Allowing them to get hot then cool, then hot again causes expansion and contraction that causes premature failure of components. Keep them relatively cool and the damaging expansion and contraction will cause less issues over time. :)

Latest posts

Back