Buds aren't dense??? Has anyone experienced this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

49er

My bud looked great all the way through flowering. However after drying, I trimmed it and , with the exception of the colars or the top buds, all of the plants are severely lacking in density. Some are almost stringy. We are using a few 1000 w hps lights. ALso G-13 Strains along with Northern Lights and AK-47...Any help you could offer on what I may be doing wrong would be great.

My setup is 2- 1000w hps covering about 20 plants...Room temp right at 80degrees....My ph has stayed in the 6s the whole way through....Mylar on the walls...We did start off with a 1000w and a 400w. About a month in we swapped a 2nd 1000w for the 400w. Would the increase in light hurt it?? I doubt it myself but I am new to this and by no means an expert. ANy help anyone could give would be greatly apreciated.

Kinda hard to say without pics, but it sounds like you did the same thing I did and prolly could have waited another week or two to harvest.

fluffy, stringy buds are from strain, low light or high heat... or some of each... thas it really... my bud is always a lil fluffy... and i get my hps VERY close to my colas... so i'm thinking it just happens.. if u use a electric trimmer it'll look/feel like the commercial on the street... or freeze dry.

but he wants his buds to grow dense without having to trip 90% of the nugget.

KADE said:
fluffy, stringy buds are from strain, low light or high heat... or some of each... thas it really... my bud is always a lil fluffy... and i get my hps VERY close to my colas... so i'm thinking it just happens.. if u use a electric trimmer it'll look/feel like the commercial on the street... or freeze dry.
thx Kade
Yes density is strain dependant also. but intense light will help. step up on the HPS wattage

Buy big bud seeds...thats a dense strain...kinda like beasters.
this happend to my old roomate, i think its because he didnt have enough light, and it only happend to the side plants, that werent directly under the light.....so hmm theres my 1 cent

My setup is 2- 1000w hps covering about 20 plants..
sounds like a lot of wattage, to me.
How tall were your plants?..and was it primarily lower buds, further away from the light source, that are stringy?
Search the forum for "Inverse square law".. ;)

I had a pheno of (nirvana) master kush that did the same thing due to high heat and light leaks. I was very dissapointed with the buds at first. Those plants turned out to be my most potent and tasty herb. Now I wish I had kept a cut.

could be light or strain, i think its light . 2 1000hps for 20 plants, how bigs your space?

yo san fran - i always have lite fluffy buds - am trying 2 avoid it this time growin by using a much better nute guide, improved my fresh air intake method, + upgraded the air circulation. also room temps controlled better by shutting off the rooms heat register + putting in a floor heater set @ 67F. the lites ( a 1k conv. + a 600 hps) keep the room @ mid 70's. so far - so good, but soilless mixes, which i use, (i don't believe) do not grow tight bud like hyro does. i think thats correct - not 100% sure? info. is probably somewhere in a thread. good luck - hope this helps somewhat.

Genetics plays a large part in density as well as atmosphere. If all facets of enviroment are correct than it must be the strain. GL

Latest posts

Back