12/12 and early freeze

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

elwigum

I have been growing indoors for about a year solid now and have a dozen plants outdoors, half sativa, half indica. They are all clones (of clones, of clones, ect.) from seeds I started a year ago. Most were transplanted from 1 gal containers and a few from 4 gallon buckets. Most are around the 2 foot range while some are abour 4 to 5 feet. They are happy and doing well.

Could someone please help me understand the process of finishing off my plants before the first frost.
I am in eastern central South Dakota. According to the almanac it will be getting to 12/12 outside around Sept 18th if I remember correctly. Also cross referencing the freeze prediction I found out that I should be expecting the first one by October 5th.
I understand that I could go out and cover all the plants at night strarting about now and uncover them around 9am every morning. If I were to do that, would I need to continue that untill early September or just for a few weeks?

depending on the temps i would cover em @ night.

this year i had some starts, and i germinated them early early. i was only able to do this because i covered them durring severe cold and rain.

covering them with plastic allowed for my grow season to expand by about a month. the ladies are 9+ feet tall now.

as for your question specifically: watch the weather channel and cover em as needed.

elwigum said:
I have been growing indoors for about a year solid now and have a dozen plants outdoors, half sativa, half indica. They are all clones (of clones, of clones, ect.) from seeds I started a year ago. Most were transplanted from 1 gal containers and a few from 4 gallon buckets. Most are around the 2 foot range while some are abour 4 to 5 feet. They are happy and doing well.

Could someone please help me understand the process of finishing off my plants before the first frost.
I am in eastern central South Dakota. According to the almanac it will be getting to 12/12 outside around Sept 18th if I remember correctly. Also cross referencing the freeze prediction I found out that I should be expecting the first one by October 5th.
I understand that I could go out and cover all the plants at night strarting about now and uncover them around 9am every morning. If I were to do that, would I need to continue that untill early September or just for a few weeks?

12/12 is used for indoor crops, It has absolutely nothing to do with outdoor growing.
Your plants will start flowering within the next few (2-3) weeks and "should" be very close to finished, or finished by your October frost date.
My advice, is to allow Mother Nature to take her course. Only be concerned about "covering" them, if an early frost is predicted.

Strain will also depend on how fast they finish. I have also had strains that were frost resistant. I have had to harvest a few pure sativas early due to hard frosts in the forecast but they were usually monsters anyways and the smoke was still fantastic.

elwigum.... i'm bout right next door to ur general location as well and was curious of the same thing u asked. alot was answered for me as well in this thread far as the 12/12 thing goes knowin now that thats more for indoors as well. bit i too as bznuts said also started mine indoors a month n a half prior to puttin outdoors the first week of may. i did it cuz we have some screwed up fall an winters. sometimes winter startin erly or sometimes a mild start but i canmnot recall really. aint exactly paid much attention to our sept an october months the past few years. have opur octobers been fairly mild that u recall?
but hey chek my grow jopurnal link below i just went and found some good ol mothernature dirt no preppin to it just feed every few weeks an water once a week and they blazin. hit a tough spell the last few weeks wit nt much rain as ya aware as well but they made it thru it after the last few days rain we been gettin.
Alot of my friends say its impossible top grow good MJ this far north. but hey now i know another in same area as i lets show all them doubters it can be done k. good luck and feel free to ask me anythin pertainin to the fact that we both dealin with almost the exact similar elements U Havin any grasshopper problems yet too? (eatin the ladies?)

Got Any Pix Of Ya Babies

Hey good to know someone in the area. I was having the hardest time finding posts regarding this area.
I got myself up to speed on your thread and they look great, really bright and shiny leaves. Our dirt looks very similar as well. I have seen a few black crickets around but not causing any problems regarding the plants though.

I am so glad Hick calmed my nerves about the flowering. I came across a thread with someone talking about all the immature nugs in the MN area and figured it took crazy additional work to shorten the days. I walked out today and noticed that about half are (barely) showing sex and I only have 2 seeds and they are not showing yet. Most of them are planted in an area where they don't get direct sun until around 10 to 11 am so maybe that has something to do with it.

I'll put some more pics up of the outdoor. Mine were transplanted out of 1 gallon containers for the most part. The included pic was around 2.5 feet tall and in a 3 gallon bag when it went in, so its the biggest of them all. I also put out three 5 gallon plants that were reveged and then hardened off. One is a nice indica and almost everything else is sativa. The 5 gallon ones are the same size as the 1 gallons now. That is due to the reveg they went through, lost a lot of time. But I did have 3 in one pot and I thought that they died shortly after putting them outside and then next thing I know they are coming back strong.

Oh also, when transplanting I put in a hand full of powered blood meal, a dash of sheep manure and one of them I threw some left over fish parts. I don't plan on doing much more since I don't have any money to buy anything. I do have plenty of Advanced Nutrients so I might work that in sparingly.

Shook some sevin on them a few weeks back to take care of what every was putting holes in the leaves and leaving nasty spunk loads on them as well. That seemed to work great and since all new growth has looked great.

Copy of IMG_0199.JPG

i kinda let mother nature have her way wit mine for the most part. durrin dry spells of say a whole week i'll go an water them only but a gallon or so each. a few mine also as u said urs too only get the sunlight startin round the later mornin say eight or nine give or take.
urs appear quite alot more bushier than mine are. maybe mine are sativa dominant but i know a few are pretty bushie but they shorter say hip high bout. but they look amazing.
i wish i could feel more confident goin durrin daytime to get some more decent pix but dont wanna get too comfortable for risk gettin caught or bein seen. i tried the digital camera at night once put it on the night flash mode but they all look like they glowin they reflected so much the flash light.
anyone any tips on takin pix outdoors at night with a digital camera? lol
I don't really feed them or water them faithfully or on any sort schedule or watever either. i a couple times just put in some jobe's plant spikes while they was in veg. spikes were high in N and placed 3 per plant. and just the other day i put down some jobes plant spikes for flowering high in P also stabbed 3 each in for every plant.
did you order your seeds or just use bag seed ya kept thruout the previous year like myself?
also i'm as well curious of our fall season and erly frost but yet our falls and winters have been pretty mild over the last five years. the indicas i got going will for sure make it before the first frost i'd bet but the ones i got that more sativa dominant i'm lil unsure about yet. as still havent seen any sign of actual buds starting just the hairs yet comin out all over them.
but i really wanna figur out how to get really good pix at night wit out it lookin like a firework display wit the flash an all.

Hey zipflip
I would not try to take pictures during the night; it might throw them off a bit. Although we had a wicked lightning storm a week back and it was like thousands of flashes from a camera so I’m not quite sure.
All my indoor and outdoor are clones except for one that I have been keeping an eye on lately.

I am going to stop posting on this thread since I sort of have 2 of these going for the same grow. Everyone please follow this grow at

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28992

Update: OK this site is being a pain. Something about not being able to link to other websites until I have 15 posts? I don’t know what’s up with that since the link above is an internal link and not an external one. So I’ll try this again. If it doesn’t work just search for my other post titled “Dakota Trial”

Latest posts

Back