Recommendations for beginner...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlo

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm looking for recommendations/suggestions on the kind of strain to grow for a beginner indoor grower who is using a standard size closet?

I'll be using T5 (2 4ft. bulbs) florescent in beginning and HPS 400 watt in the latter stage.

I was considering Orange Bud because it was listed as being easy to grow and still having a good potent taste.

Any ideas?

Honestly...I grew Vortex from TGA Subcool for my first grow and it was the bomb.

Easy to grow and responded well to everything I could throw at it.

a pure indica will flower in 8 weeks

a sativa may take 12

i would pick a strain with short bud time or possibly even an autoflower.

I wouldnt go Subcool first grow. Id go with someone not trying to rip off the customer with the price.
Nirvana, Seedsman, Mandala, all as good. At less than half the price for most.

Good to seeya on the boards, Spearchucker...:ciao:

I've grown just about everything in my 2 x 4 x 8 closet with my light perma-hung at 5.5 feet... The only strains that are a PITA are the pure sativas cuz they just dont stop growing...

I'm growing Joey Weed Apollo 11 and it is easy as pie to grow. All of my 3/6 females were dank as can be... Very nice stuff and it's available at Hempdepot...

Peace~! :cool:

i agree with the mandala statement they are easy to grow and very forgiving

Hey DOS. Havent been around much this year, tough to be around all the bud when Im a month and a half away from having anything at all lol.
Dry spell. Still tryin to catch back up after the kids bein home so long for the holidays.
But got some nice ones going. Might toss some shots up when flowering.

the orange bud was one of my first to grow, and i think from the same company u r ordering from, its not the stoniest smoke but it is good, easy to grow and very easy to clone, good luck to ya

:ciao: Happy Growing...and Have fun :48:

My first grows from "store bought seeds" were C99 and Apollo 11 from Joey Weed available at the Hemp Depot (LOL, it was Heaven's Stairway back then). I can also recommend Mandala--Satori is just great.

read mandala strains most of them recomend 400 watt or low light (heard bad things about hashberry but good things about the rest)

It's also good to choose a standard like Northern Lights or White Widow your first time around. These are strains that thousands have grown for decades and there's a lot of info available from a lot of different growers to help you along.

I agree that a 100% indicas strain, like Hogsbreath or Indicas XXL, is also a good start. They tend to be more forgiving of first time grower mistakes and as they finish earlier that "impatient gene" that asserts itself in new growers and makes them take their plants too early is easier to ignore.

Like I'm not going to tell you to get my favorite strain :)
Sensi Star, from Paradise Seeds. I have only grown a handful of strains but I find it easy to work with and doesn't require a lot of nutrients. It is almost pure indica and stays very bushy and short if you top it. And if you are into the "awards" thing it has a pretty strong history. From Paradise Seeds website:
* Winner 1st prize Highlife Cannabis Cup 1999 (Bio category)
* Winner 1st prize High Times Cannabis Cup 1999 (Indica category)
* Winner 2nd prize High Times Cannabis Cup 2000 (Indica category
* Plant of the Year 2003, High Times magazine
* Winner 1st prize Highlife Cannnabis Cup 2004 (Bio category)
* Winner 2nd prize Highlife Feria Barcelona 2004
* Winner 3rd prize International Cannagraphics 2005
* Winner 3rd prize Copa La Bella Flor Spain 2005
* Winner 3rd prize High Times Cannabis Cup 2005
* Winner 2nd prize Champions Cup Spain 2005
*winner 3rd prize Highlife cup 2009 (hydro)
* Plant of the Year 2009 / 2010 Spain (soft secrets)
* Winner 1st prize Highlife Cannnabis Cup 2010 (Hydro category)

-But if I was you I would not limit myself to one thing. I would try a few and see what you like.

My first was Kandy Kush from Reserva Privada, she was simple to grow and a big yielder with a potent high! Growing another right now...

ftw said:
read mandala strains most of them recomend 400 watt or low light

I have grown several Mandala strains and have never heard or read this. I run a lot of lumens. I am not sure that it is correct information--where did you read this?

The Hemp Goddess said:
I have grown several Mandala strains and have never heard or read this. I run a lot of lumens. I am not sure that it is correct information--where did you read this?
go to the mandala site and check it out it also says most of the strains need very little nutes or none if growing in good soil.when you get there click on strain guide,the site has a lot more information than most seed manufacturers sites,very helpful.you can also look at the seed catalog on the site and click on the strain and it will give their recomendations.im not saying that you cant use more lumens but that is what they recomend.just looked at the siteagain(its been a while)most strains they have they recomend 400 to 600 m2.(doesnt sound right,i know,but thats what it says) i was going to get satori until everyone ran out of them then the price jumped up when they got new supplies in.

I have read Mandals growing info--I grow a lot of their stuff.

However, they are not recommending low light conditions. A sq meter is a little under 11 sq ft (10.76). So a 400W is about normal coverage--5000 lumens per sq ft. A 600W will give you 8300-8800 lumens per sq ft. I wouldn't call that low light.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I have read Mandals growing info--I grow a lot of their stuff.

However, they are not recommending low light conditions. A sq meter is a little under 11 sq ft (10.76). So a 400W is about normal coverage--5000 lumens per sq ft. A 600W will give you 8300-8800 lumens per sq ft. I wouldn't call that low light.
dont want a arguement but just go to the stie scroll down andclick on strain guide look atthe low light part in the chart if im wrong thhey are giving us wrong info some say as low as 150 watts for min per m2 sounds like low light to me.i've read a lot uf your post and i know you know what your talking about.apparently they are saying can be grown under low light conditions.go a head and say your peace,and we will let carlo have his thread back, ok.

Joey Weed's C99 is the all-around easiest strain I've grown so far. The shape it takes when flowering is awesome, the plant looks sorta like a crown if you don't top it. Strong branching, big nugs, nice n frosty. VERY easy to clone, vigorous from the get-go.

Latest posts

Back