After curing....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colfrbn2001

Reaction score
What's the best way to store your buds after the curing process? Storage bags?, Tupperware container?, freezer?

NOT the freezer, I keep mine in mason jars IN THE DARK..some folks go so far as to keep their buds in a humidity controlled box designed for cigar storage. Just watch closely for mold. Sneaky stuff.

Your curing already?? My plants are about a month from harvest (Assuming the frost does not set in)
Whats a mason jar, just glass?

Devilweed said:
Whats a mason jar, just glass?

flyyourflag_1740_1040031.gif

I also store in Mason jars in the dark. But I cure in the mason jars after initial drying.

devilweed you must be down south growing sativas or something cause even half way up north we done had a few frostes. i myself is in my second week of curing from partial harvestes and just about through drying the rest.

Y not the freezer if i may ask? I know ppl that pack pound and pounds away in their freezer for later years. They say it keeps well?

hey kade...freezing sure isn't the worst method of storing, (just be sure that the light goes out when the door is closed..;) :p)
What freezing does, is removes the natural elasticity in the buds and makes the trichomes excessively brittle and easily broken off and lost. I don't think it has any serious negative effects or chemical alterations. It just isn't the "ideal" method in most opinions.

Mason jars rock. I still have buds from last year in mason jars, soft and smooth smoke a yr later!! But!! gotta be dried proper. vacuum seals itself after bout a month. Mayo jars, peanut butter jars. Glass/tight fitting screw on lid work just fine. I pack mine pretty tight. 2-4 oz to a quart jar

PA040008 (450 x 600).jpg

PA130001 (600 x 450).jpg

Kade, Freezing creates ice chrystals in the trichs which break them down and damages them. upon thawing the damaged trichsbreak down even more (contraction/ expansion). Ok if smoked right away but wait to long...IMHO HICK?Mutt? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Ps try freezing any leafy veg and check it out

also if you have food in your freezer,(I hope you do) the buds will take on some of the smell and flavor of whatever is in the freezer with it. Just stick with jars man. you dont want fishy buds with brittle trichs.

Thanks for the info. I didn't think the freezer was a good place because of the same reason dream grower stated. If you put lettuce int he freezer, when it thaws, its just nothing like before it went in. I'll do the mason jar tek. Thanks again.

How long are you drying before putting in the jars?

I'm up at the 47th parallel, give or take one. They seem to be doing fine though... At least I hope they make it a bit longer cause they are not quite ready for harvest.

Colfrbn2001, Be absolutely sure those buds are really dry. Bud snaps when bent. sometimes fatboy buds take a long time. Keep checking the jars for moisture build up daily at first. If you smell ammonia like odor, buds are still too "wet". lay out to dry longer. A light breeze from a fan helps to get rid of moisture while drying:) IMHO:)

Hey Devilweed, 47th? I'm 42nd. Igot like 4inches of snow last night. I'm wonderin how 47th is still suitable for growing. No cold? no snow? Lucky you!!

We never get snow, just a steady stream of rain all winter. We have actually had temps in the high 70's last week. I guess fate is on my side. Anyone believe in Karma?

I like the big old fat jarswith the metal hinge and big rubber gasket on top. They hold a bunch and seal great.

Latest posts

Back