Making CBD pills

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grodude

Reaction score
I am going to make CBD pills and I had a question about decarboxylating. I have done it in the passed by eyeing it, but was curious if there was a better way to got optimal results. Everything I read online tells me to decarb at high temperatures for a long period of time, but I only do about a quarter ounce at a time and it would definitely burn. Is there anywhere I can read about ratios or how long to decarb at what temperature for small amounts of weed?

Small amounts or large would be the same time and temp..... 240F for 40 minutes has always been my standard goto.

If you're thinking about decarbing before making the extract, you might think about doing it the other way around,

I always extract first, then decab the extract.

What were you planning to put in the caps, just the decarb'd weed?

250 degrees at 30 minutes is what we do. You don't want to do it at high heat.

Small amounts or large would be the same time and temp..... 240F for 40 minutes has always been my standard goto.

If you're thinking about decarbing before making the extract, you might think about doing it the other way around,

I always extract first, then decab the extract.

What were you planning to put in the caps, just the decarb'd weed?

Can I just put the decarb'd weed in the caps? That sounds to be the easiest if possible. I used to use coconut and stir on low heat and then put the oil in capsules. Are you saying what you do is leave the weed in the oil first and then heat the oil?

Using the decarb'd weed should work fine. I think that's how Keef does it. However, the THC will get into your system a lot better if it is mixed with a fat. Oil or butter.

I can't do it that way because my tolerance is so high, the capsule would have to be the size of a basketball. LMAO So, I use extract.

And, as always, take cannabis with food. It's very hard for canna to enter your system without a carrier. Fats are best for food that goes to your stomach and sugars for hard candies that melt in your mouth (saliva).

So it sound like the process should be:

1) Decarb at 240 degrees for 40 minutes

2) Extract with coconut oil

3) Strain and put coconut oil in capsules.

I try to use as little oil as I can because it seems to require at least 3-5 large capsules to help with inflammation. When it's for myself I usually just use a dropper and put the oil in the back of my throat, but for some others it tastes too bad, which is why I use capsules.

So it sound like the process should be:

1) Decarb at 240 degrees for 40 minutes

2) Extract with coconut oil

3) Strain and put coconut oil in capsules.

I try to use as little oil as I can because it seems to require at least 3-5 large capsules to help with inflammation. When it's for myself I usually just use a dropper and put the oil in the back of my throat, but for some others it tastes too bad, which is why I use capsules.

I like to extract first and then decarb the extract. However, I'm sure both are A-OK. I think it's a personal choice.

Keef decarbs, then stuffs caps with leaf or bud. Then takes a spoonful of coconut oil separate from the caps. Less mess, it all goes the same place.

Keef decarbs, then stuffs caps with leaf or bud. Then takes a spoonful of coconut oil separate from the caps. Less mess, it all goes the same place.

That's really smart.

Can you actually get enough leaf or bud into a capsule to do any good? How many capsules would it take someone with a high tolerance to do any good? How much coconut oil do you need (can't see myself eating a spoonful of coconut oil--icky icky)? Also with this method you have to forgo the lecithin, which I understand really helps the body absorb the cannabinoids?

Can you actually get enough leaf or bud into a capsule to do any good? How many capsules would it take someone with a high tolerance to do any good? How much coconut oil do you need (can't see myself eating a spoonful of coconut oil--icky icky)? Also with this method you have to forgo the lecithin, which I understand really helps the body absorb the cannabinoids?

I quite agree on the spoonful of coconut oil, ick...I don’t eat a lot of dry herb but I do use my post vaped weed on a peanut butter cracker at times. I’m such a lightweight that it'll get me a nice light buzz... I don’t taste the weed at all. I’ll do this when I’m going someplace where it is difficult to smoke. I know that I’ll have about an hour before the buzz kicks in.

Dry herb would never work for me with my tolerance. I took 750mg of rosin last week and barely got a buzz. That's equal in THC to about 7 or 8 grams of pot. How many caps would it take to fill a quarter ounce of pot. LOL

I do rosin 50/50 with coconut oil and a little lecithin. I get about 250mg of rosin in each cap with about 250mg of oil. Works out ok as long as I take 3 or 4. I am going to start making them twice as strong so I only have to take 1 or 2.

I bought the 00 this time but they are a little big for me to swallow (I hate swallowing pills). Next time I'll go one size down (I think that's 000) and make them stronger.

I believe that the 000 are larger. Like wire gauge, I think the number gets larger as the item gets smaller. I have some 00 caps that I haven't used for anything. The caps will be for the CBDs that I have growing right now, so I have time to get whatever I might need.

I have some kief, but it is sativa kief and probably not good for nighttime. Maybe I will have to get my rosin press finished--I have all the parts, just need to take the plates somewhere to be drilled.

I hope the following chart helps you.

Decarboxylation Temperatures and Times: What you need to know?

Temperature Heating Mode Plant Material Time Kief / Hash Time
310F Oven 10 – 18 minutes 5 – 10 minutes
250F Hot oil bath n/a n/a
240F Oven 50 – 60 minutes 30 – 40 minutes
212F Boiling water bath 90 minutes 90 minutes

MJ -- Welcome to MP !
I had a pretty bad head injury --I was a legal morphine junkie for most of a decade -- I now make my own meds as cannacaps -- I decarb at 240 for half an hour on a paper plate in the oven --- I have this screen wire sieve I use to break the weed down into smaller piece so it will pack nice and tight -- These 3 -00 gel caps of good weed is a good dose for me -- If it's trim it takes more -- I try to take 3 doses a day -- U have to find your own dose -- For pain I like half high CBD half high THC weed -- I try to keep them in different size caps so I know what is what -- The coconut I like is the cold pressed unprocessed oil cause it still has coconut flavor but I'm not that picky and oil or food with some oil in it works fine -- How U like my whittled down chop stick for packing caps -- U would be surprised how much U can pack in a cap !-- About an hour later ?-- Hello !-- I like smoking my weed but U can't beat a good cap buzz !

Latest posts

Back