Got Tax Money?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboy

Reaction score
Not sure how I feel about this yet, but I doubt that all growers will comply.

San Francisco -- A California lawmaker is proposing to require all marijuana growers and sellers to be licensed by the state as a way to increase sales tax revenue.Democratic state Sen. Ron Calderon said Wednesday he plans to introduce a bill requiring all legal and illegal marijuana businesses to register with the Board of Equalization, the state agency that collects sales tax. The bill would not legalize marijuana beyond current state law.

Supporters say the measure is intended mainly to provide a system of regulation for medical marijuana dispensaries. Such dispensaries already are required to pay sales tax like other businesses, but board vice chair Jerome Horton says many don't comply.
"There is a clear indication that many dispensaries are intentionally evading their taxes, distributing illegal products and may be laundering illegally acquired money," Horton said in a statement.
Licensees would have to pay a fee, prepay part of the sales tax and pay an excise tax similar to manufacturers, distributors and retailers of tobacco products in the state.
Calderon spokesman Rocky Rushing said the lawmaker estimates full compliance from legal medical marijuana sellers could generate $168 million in revenue.
The Board of Equalization estimates that $1.3 billion worth of marijuana is sold legally in the state every year but only $8 million in sales tax are collected.
Under the current tax code, medical marijuana dispensaries do not have the option of choosing marijuana sales as their primary business, making precise estimates of sales and taxes paid difficult.
Medical marijuana advocates with the group Americans for Safe Access conducted their own study in 2007 that estimated dispensaries contribute closer to $100 million annually to state coffers.
Americans for Safe Access spokesman Kris Hermes said that estimate was calculated when there were 400 dispensaries in the state, a figure that may have as much as tripled with the explosion in the number of dispensaries in Los Angeles.
Hermes' group has long opposed the imposition of sales tax on medical marijuana, saying the drug should be treated like prescribed medications, which are not taxed.
He said he did not see the need for additional tax laws regarding dispensaries, especially if new regulations required them to pay more than they already do.
"I don't know that a piece of legislation is necessary for dispensaries to pay sales tax since that's already a policy," Hermes said.
The proposed legislation is modeled on a law crafted by Horton in 2003 that imposed tighter tax rules as a way to crack down on illegal cigarette sales. That law also provided the Board of Equalization with additional funding to enforce sales tax compliance.
A 2006 report by the California State Auditor found that the cigarette law helped to stem a decline in cigarette sales tax revenue but said the board's own estimates of increased revenues owing to the law were overstated.
Source: Associated Press (Wire)
Published: February 3, 2010

about time the state started to get their cut of the millions of dollars in CA smoke money coming through the dispensaries. from all their woofing about "helping the sick" you'd maybe not notice the sick volume of profit dollars the dispensaries are raking in - in a bankrupt state no less!

The only problem is they are not going after the dispensaries money they are going after the growers tax money. Not all growers are profiting from selling so why should they pay taxes. When you grow a vegetable garden you don't need to register with the government and pay tax on each pound of vegetables you grow.
The government does not need more tax money they just need to stop spending so much. We don't get to raise our pay every time we want to spend more so why should they.

In CO dispensaries are required to collect sales tax as well as pay gross receipts taxes etc. I am only a grower but I do have a registered not for profit business and a licensed accountant that handles my taxes, payroll taxes, benefit distributions ect. 100% legal in the eyes of the state.

I don't understand - I don't pay taxes on any medicine here. This taxation on MMJ is the only medical prescription I am aware of that is taxable anywhere in the states? This gives me the impression that MJ for medical purposes is just a wink and a nod away from just being a legal drug. Perhaps this is just a way of preparing the state for legalized and controlled sales of MJ... It might speed up the legalization of MJ across the board but isn't this just setting us that grow for personal consumption up for tax evasion or "bootlegging" charges on down the road?

Supreme court recognizes MJ and other drugs for religious matters. Thus,no taxing religious MJ. Free green blessings for those who believe in a higher space. Peace out.

There is a $100.00 federal tax on MJ.

FUM said:
Supreme court recognizes MJ and other drugs for religious matters. Thus,no taxing religious MJ. Free green blessings for those who believe in a higher space. Peace out.

There is a $100.00 federal tax on MJ.

There is no federal tax on marijuana, the federal government wants nothing to do with it right now, its still illegal to the feds.. States are taxing marijuana not the feds... And from what I hear the only place that recognizes MJ for religion is Hawaii..

OldHippieChick said:
I don't understand - I don't pay taxes on any medicine here. This taxation on MMJ is the only medical prescription I am aware of that is taxable anywhere in the states? This gives me the impression that MJ for medical purposes is just a wink and a nod away from just being a legal drug. Perhaps this is just a way of preparing the state for legalized and controlled sales of MJ... It might speed up the legalization of MJ across the board but isn't this just setting us that grow for personal consumption up for tax evasion or "bootlegging" charges on down the road?

Yup, and that should be a hell of bargaining chip. If we can get our act together and not get pushed around on this issue, we should be able to insist that if they want their money, it needs to be fully legal PERIOD. Otherwise, keep it a medication and kiss the money goodbye.

Cowboy said:

San Francisco -- A California lawmaker is proposing to require all marijuana growers and sellers to be licensed by the state as a way to increase sales tax revenue.Democratic state Sen. Ron Calderon said Wednesday he plans to introduce a bill requiring all legal and illegal marijuana businesses to register with the Board of Equalization, the state agency that collects sales tax. The bill would not legalize marijuana beyond current state law.

ha, yeah right :rolleyes: .

Like nvthis saying, they just need to legalize it if their going for a profit.

Some of the dispensaries/growers here in Denver are making hand over fist handing out scripts and selling. It looks like they might pass a bill trying to make the dispensaries non profit so they can get the state to pay their salaries and get rid of in-house doctors to stop the ** scripts being handed out.

PeterPotatoes said:
ha, yeah right :rolleyes: .

Like nvthis saying, they just need to legalize it if their going for a profit.

Some of the dispensaries/growers here in Denver are making hand over fist handing out scripts and selling. It looks like they might pass a bill trying to make the dispensaries non profit so they can get the state to pay their salaries and get rid of in-house doctors to stop the ** scripts being handed out.

There is no such thing as a "bad" script, as long as it is written by a Doctor...what do you care?

what are you tryin to say? That only folks that are cancer ridden or on thier deathbed should smoke herb and everyone else should have no legal rights?

agreed, it should be used for ANY condition for which it provides relief, whether that be cancer, depression, or a mild headache

NorCalHal said:
There is no such thing as a "bad" script, as long as it is written by a Doctor...what do you care?

what are you tryin to say? That only folks that are cancer ridden or on thier deathbed should smoke herb and everyone else should have no legal rights?

greenfriend said:
agreed, it should be used for ANY condition for which it provides relief, whether that be cancer, depression, or a mild headache

Please, If you two are trying to say all scripts are legit then you're just blind. It's going to be hard to make something legal when there is a bunch of corruption surrounding it.

PeterPotatoes said:
Please, If you two are trying to say all scripts are legit then you're just blind. It's going to be hard to make something legal when there is a bunch of corruption surrounding it.

because there was no corruption when we when through the legalization of alcohol, right?

greenfriend said:
Yes! And further more half of it should be OTC for nongrowing folks and self-administered just like aspirin.

The other half should be by the cooler section. Right next to the beer and chips.;)

Hey Hal! Wassup man? Haven't seen too much of you lately. Think I read someplace that you were finally getting your master plan in motion? Nice bro. Drop in soon and tell us how it's all comin together for ya;) I ain't forgot about you bro. Not even close! Hey, last I heard you were working with a crap load of purp strains...:D

my issue is not with the taxation, that's inevitable. my issue is with a $20 plant generating $5000++ in dispensary profit, and not much (if any) of that profit going for anything but lining the dispensary owner's pockets - under the guise of "helping sick people".

instead of dispensaries lowering the street price of pot from its silly high levels they are supporting an exorbinant street price structure which has nothing to do with helping the sick - and everything to do with profit. just because the dispensaries can follow the example of the greedy American medical industry does not mean they ought to!

just wait - when the insurance companies are goaded into covering the cost of pot for treatment, artificially stupid-high pot prices will be etched in stone for many years to come. i'd rather see the legit states pass laws limiting the cost of pot at a maximum $5-$7 per gram level - plus a tax which would go only to health issues and state health insurance funding.

SICK PEOPLE SHOULD NOT BE GAUGED BY THEIR PROFIT POTENTIAL!!!

Old_SSSC_Guy said:
my issue is not with the taxation, that's inevitable. my issue is with a $20 plant generating $5000++ in dispensary profit, and not much (if any) of that profit going for anything but lining the dispensary owner's pockets - under the guise of "helping sick people".

instead of dispensaries lowering the street price of pot from its silly high levels they are supporting an exorbinant street price structure which has nothing to do with helping the sick - and everything to do with profit. just because the dispensaries can follow the example of the greedy American medical industry does not mean they ought to!

just wait - when the insurance companies are goaded into covering the cost of pot for treatment, artificially stupid-high pot prices will be etched in stone for many years to come. i'd rather see the legit states pass laws limiting the cost of pot at a maximum $5-$7 per gram level - plus a tax which would go only to health issues and state health insurance funding.

i'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. i realize that this may help sick people, but if people are paying for the inflated prices then that's their problem.

the Government should not step in an control prices on things like this. because if they did, then it wouldnt be a price max it would be a price min because the Government would be getting a % of it and would want as much as possible.

we should follow the law of supply and demand. we need competition in order for prices to be brought to a reasonable level....not government.

we need much less Government in the united states, not more.

PeterPotatoes said:

Are you a Medical Doctor? Do you REALLY believe that MMJ is for medicinal use only? The Millions of folks who smoke for recreation should still be treated like criminals?

Looks like you are the one who is blind my friend.

MMJ is a stepping stone for full decriminalazation, I said it 1000 times.
In 10 years, there will be no term "MMJ", as it will be legal both on the State and Federal level.

Don't be fooled by the term "MMJ". It is the ONLY avenue we have to get folks to wake up to the lies spread by Anslinger that still hold true in many peoples eyes today. MMJ plays on the compassion of folks and is helping people realize that MJ is NOT a gsteway drug or can kill you.

I applaud any doctor that will give any adult a Reccomendation, for any reason.

I would like to hear your thoughts on what "ailments" MMJ should be "reccomended " for.

Your thoughts about "false" recs are plain wrong. It has HELPED the cause for legalization. The fact that anyone can get a Rec just shows how harmless MJ is.
It has lead to groundbreaking legislature here in Cali to legalize MJ posseseion/cultivation, which is up for Popular Vote in Cali this November.

So, again, don't be fooled in the MMJ propaganda.

Cowboy said:

They want All MJ growers and sellers to be licensed !! Now if they want the growers to be licensed thru the state, So wondering how this going to work because the Local Law or Feds or who ever going to check us all out, are they going to have man power to check us all out after we become legal growers for ourself.? NO WAY.!!

I look at a Vegetable Don't need a licensed to grow, but to sell, well if that your job then pay taxes, But really if I grew 25 tomato's plants and want to sell them to a friend or family and put up a sign that say ( Tomato's here with out that word For sale) I am Not in violation to sale tax, But if that one person comes by and ask if I am license to sell, then I am busted.

When I was trying to sell my doxie pups at Walmart parking lot and put up a sign that say's ( Doxie Pup's for sell ) I started at 11 am and had the city worker come along and asked if I had a seller permit or got permission from walmart or the city.? I said No and told him I see a lot of people getting rid of there pup's right here, Will he told me I am in violation and this was around 4 pm when I got chased off.

If we the growers, grows for our-self then we Shouldn't have to be License because it is NOT our way of Business,
But the Love to Grow Good Weed to get excited over, to smoke with friends & family is called sharing either it Vegetables or weed.

Old_SSSC_Guy said:

Id' like to see a $20 plant generate over 5000, never happen.

Do you live in a Medical State with operating Dispensaries? Do you understand operating costs and Employee wages/benefits?

This aint like the street dealer daze my friend.

IE. A lb of A++ herb wholesales to a Dispensary for $4000. The Dispensary will break it down and generate $7800, leaving a 3800 profit. Sounds GREAT huh. easy money.....not.
From that 3800, they have to pay wages (average wage for a typical "budtender" ranges from 30-50,000 a year. Plus FULL medical/health benefits.
Lets talk security. Guards and cameras.
What about the lease money they have to pay every month?
Every reputable dispensary also provides FREE services to ANY MEMBER.
These services include chripopratic,accupunture,massage, and multiple support groups.
They also have discounted prices for folks who are TRULY ill, such as legitimate HIV,Cancer patients.
The BIG kicker...Legal costs. What do you think retainers cost on a business like that? Big $$.

Noone is forcing folks to go to a dispensary,everyone has freewill my friend.

With that said, do your homework man.

I will give you a little credit. Not all dispensaries operate correctly. Yes, there are some that str8 gaffle folks. These soon get shut down, or lose customers and are forced to shut down. It is all about how you treat the end user, as with any other business.

You all have to realize, espesially in the Newer MMJ states ,it takes time to get a hold of a business that is in it's infancy.

I do agree that ALOT of dispensaries are out of hand, but let the end customer "police' them by not giving them thier business, not by allowing the local goverments to regulate them for us.

Well said Hal! Dang bud tenders are makeing more than me as a fabricator!!?...lol...I need to move to Cali, and get a job in the dispencaries! I have experience!!!...lol

Latest posts

Back