Bugs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangesunshine

Drama Free
Reaction score
so---i was amending my soil with some alfalfa meal---didn't think twice about just dumping the rest of the bag on the pile---when i did i saw 100's of these bugs dumped into the pile---the bugs are hard bodied crunchy when smooshed

can anybody tell me what type of bug this is?

is my soil pile now not ruined?

hope the photo is clear enough

thanks for looking

View attachment IMG_0444.JPG

View attachment IMG_0442_1.JPG

View attachment IMG_0442.JPG

View attachment IMG_0441.JPG

View attachment IMG_0440.JPG

View attachment IMG_0439.JPG

View attachment IMG_0438.JPG

These appear to be the red flour beetle, (Tenebrionidae, T.castaneum) The best way to get rid of them is by freezing or pheromone trap. Common sense pest control book, page 244.

However, I am not so sure they would hurt your potting soil, they will just eat all the meal and then exit. I don't see why they would bother a green growing plant, if they just like flour. That is like us eating vegetables when we could have cookies. If you add calcium in your soil that will likely kill them... so there you go.

Growing organically I do not even worry about bugs. Bugs are good and the start of the micro-herd.

Most bugs will leave on their own once their food source is gone or their cozy home has been disturbed.ime.

Except mites I hate those critters.

Mites are not bugs! We all know they are actually The Borg.

thank you rb et al;

so---i'm still a bit leary on using this soil with an indoor grow---it still needs amendments like more alfalfa etc... and i would prefer these beetles move on---i want to feed my myco colony---not the beetles---i guess i just keep turning the pile---maybe just amend till it gets too hot for them to stay---what would you do???????

What I would do is set the soil outside. The outdoor temp here is -13.:rofl:

Just keep turning it. Them beetles are the beginning of the myco-herd. Could also shift them out.

I just never worry about bugs. When the food source is gone they leave or die. Becoming a link in the food chain for the myco-herd.

Is your soil outside? I would go ahead and amend and they probably won't like the other stuff that is in there and leave. Besides, they are cute and red...

Latest posts

Back