9 + weeks why no trichome's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EasyLiving29

Reaction score
This is my first "real" grow. I'm nearing 9 weeks and there are NO trichomes. The seed that I used was from a good stash I had been saving. I do know the plant is Sativa (there is NO question about that). However, there are no trichomes appearing and the few that are there do not seem to be much.

The light that I am using is a multi spectrum 315 watt CFL light bank The multi spectrum lighting system provides an unbelieveable 17,000 LUMENS.

MULTI SPECTRUM CONFIGURATION
Includes one 30K Spiral, one 41K Spiral and one 50K Tube style bulb. A multi-purpose variety of light spectrums. Can be used for both flowering and vegetative applications.

I have finger size buds all over and some of the hairs are turning. Can anyone help me.

My questions:

1.) Is this common (no trichomes this late)?

2.) What is the longest time frame for Sativa to flower?

030509Crop#1.jpg

yeah that^.

you could be looking at a very long flower period with those lights. up to 16-20 weeks.:eek: . serious. splurge for a 400w hps, and make her be all she can be.

htg hydroponics has a basic 400w w/magnetic ballast, which is upgradeable, for 120 us.

and if you can swing 135, cheap hydro has a very nice 600w, Lumatek hps/mh, 120v, with a choice of 6-7 reflectors. ( the enclosed artic sun looks sweet;) ).

dont work here, only an observation.:rolleyes: .

gotta get some lumens on that girl...bb...

There is nothing wrong with your light and too few lumens isnt your problem,more likely the genetics,even though your stash was good,it may be a duffer of a plant,it does happen.

What is the history and origin of the seed?

Bagseed or other?

Is you grow 100% light tight in lights off?

when you say a "50k tube style bulb", is it hps?

looks to be cfl 'fluff' to me...bb...

This did come from a bag seed, correct. Granted, I should have known better but it was an experiment that went right up until this point. The lights are CFL and can be found if you do a search on internet for "multi spectrum 315 watt light" stealth hydro I believe. as for the light is this really my issue or more genetic. as of this morning the top of the cola's have more resign developing. been in 12/12 NO light during dark period. I appreciate all the help i can get.

Thank you

None of the bulbs you mentioned are the correct spectrum for flowering.
3 - 4 k is best for flower.

I think thats why your buds are loose but im sure trich's will appear by the end of flowering.

Growdude said:
None of the bulbs you mentioned are the correct spectrum for flowering.
3 - 4 k is best for flower.

I think thats why your buds are loose but im sure trich's will appear by the end of flowering.

this is what I am using:

Includes one 30K Spiral, one 41K Spiral and one 50K Tube style bulb. A multi-purpose variety of light spectrums. Can be used for both flowering and vegetative applications.

is that still no good?

EasyLiving29 said:
this is what I am using:

is that still no good?

what that tells me is your using one 3000k bulb 1 4100k bulb and 1 5000k bulb u would be better off with 3 of the 3000k for flowering IMO
and even tho it puts out 17k lumens u can get a 150 hps which isnt to far off of that for like 70$ and save 150 wats of power or buy 2 150hps and double the lumens u have now again JMO

BuddyLuv said:
Look at the bud formation and tell me his light is adequate. He needs more light.

It's a sativa and is looking fine not underlit at all.

Those buds look a bit like my NLH5/Haze clone buds and they are under 1600w so defo not underlit,how can it be,a 300w fluoro over a single plant?

you have to be reading inflated equiv numbers or something. no way 3 floros put out more than my hps.

I'll tell ya what, that looks better than my G13 Labs power skunk who is in her 7th week of flowering. My guess is you got a very finnicky plant and her growing needs weren't met to a T, so she's being ridiculously slow. At least thats the conclusion I'm coming to with my Power Skunk. IO guess another way of phrasing that is bad genetics...

I would have to say it's a combination of poor bagseed genetics and light. Even with poor genetics at 9 weeks those buds should be more dense!

Thank you to all who have posted. As for light I was told that is should be fine for budding (next grow light will be changed for blooming). The hairs have gradually turned over the last week with more resign starting to appear at top. If I am understanding this right, the light is fine for growing but as for flowering I should invest in the flowering bulbs OR by new light 150 watts hps for all new light set up. Bulbs ARE expensive in for what I am using now (stealth hydro company). Can anyone look at that unit and tell me what other light bulbs may fit and where can I get them. Again, I am new and it has been difficult trying to research this question.

Thanks again for all the support and help

Latest posts

Back