what air pump you using?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippy59

Reaction score
I'm tring to get an airoponics system up and running but I'm having issues with the air pump. I have the active aqua 8 outlet and on my 3rd one within a week. I always get to were 2 of the 8 outlets wont bubble my stones and when I switch them around the 2 that were working now are not and vise versa so giving up on the crappy thing. I hate the idea of using aquarium pumps because I would need so many which would require extension cords. is there a good one that's heavy duty that I can use to power 8 stones? I need 5 for the grow and 3 for my homemade cloner.

The one on the right will certainly do what you need but they are loud and generate quite a bit of heat. I have found that the dual diaphragm units seem to work quite well, and hold up for a long time.
https://www.hydrowholesale.com/general-hydroponics-gh-dual-diaphragm-air-pump-4-outlet-4028
These are pricey but they work very well and are both quiet and cool, and they last. :)
Also, the "Micro-pore" air stones also work very well. https://www.hydrowholesale.com/micro-pore-hog-2x-air-diffuser-4476
These are all I use. :)

I suspect an air stone problem--"... I always get to were 2 of the 8 outlets wont bubble my stones and when I switch them around the 2 that were working now are not..." Are you sure that it is not the air stones that are clogged and not the pump?

ya I'm sure. even after I switched you can feel the air that's being pumped from the bad one is a lot less then one that is working properly. I'm just tring to find a good reliable and preferably rebuildable pump. I thought about just running an airline from the garage air compresser into the house and adding a filter and regulator but worried that there would still be a lot of contaminants in the air givin the low air use. I don't think the filters would work properly. they work great for painting and all but the low flow worrys me.

well, the SOBs wouldn't let me return in for another type pump but they did exchange it and I went ahead and bought a heavy duty 12 gang pump and MAN does that thing push some air. BIG difference. if I was having air issues before I am not anymore! I'll just put this POS in the cabinet as a spare. ya it is a bit loud but I think I can quiet it down a little bit..

Be careful trying to quiet it as they can get rather hot. Don't worry about the other pump, you will need it for the expansion that you will inevitably do at some point in the future :)

wow hot is right. let her run for 2 days and its not making the water hot or even warm so all is good. all I am gonna do to quiet it is to pput some rubber feet on the legs and MAYBE put a hose on it ( sucksion side ) and see if that helps alittle. the rubber feet for sure tho.

They make rubberized bolts that form a "cushion bolt" with a bolt on each side with the nuts so that you can bolt the pump down to the rubber cushions and then bolt that down to a board. That would take up most of the vibrations.

thanks that helps a lot. that is were most of the noise comes from

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I put my beer on the veg table and it foamed up. nuff said

she was sh-sh-sha-shakin', whoa-ohh-ooh-oh-oh, foaming your beer up, whoa-oh-ooh-oh. She was moo-ving up and down, round and round an round, and shakin. :D "Eddie Money" for those less musically enclined :hubba: :doh: :D

I hang it in the air with a bungee cord. It hangs vertical, diagonal or however just won't make a difference as long as the airline is open

Zem, that's how I mounted my exhaust fan. Bungee straps and a screw with a large washer on the end to prevent the strap from sliding off. Works pretty good. Now if you want to get all geeky, you could use an electro magnet to suspend your pump in the air. Absolutely no vibrations transferred then. Should only cause you a few major headaches, and several hundred dollars. Lol

I was going to mention what Zem did. Hanging your air pump with bungees can alleviate a lot of the noise.

Yarddog: I like the way you think, but the magnets would only work to suspend the pump if they were big and aligned properly with the magnetic field that surrounds the running pump. It would be quite interesting to see if it would work though. Maybe use a much larger ring mounted electromagnet like what is used in certain lawn tractor motors or boat motors to charge the battery like an alternator.

Latest posts

Back