PPM/EC really low After adding nutes w/Soft Water

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chen

Reaction score
I switched to Soft Water via reverse osmosis recently and ever since then my plants have been as yellow as corn.

I finally calibrated my meters and it seems as if my tap water has a PPM of 500 naturally and an EC of 1.0.

However, the reverse osmosis water has a PPM of 50 and an EC of 0.1.

Now, my nutrients (Dutch Pro) claim that the EC should be 2.1 after adding nutes (in flower).

But after adding all the nutrients my PPM only goes up to 250 and my EC is 0.5.

At first I thought it was a pH issue, because the reverse osmosis takes my tap water from 7.4 to 6.0, but now I'm thinking they're yellowing because there is just nothing in the water.

What am I supposed to do?

Thanks!

Add a source of Cal/Mag.

Agreed, distilled or RO water (usually/often) needs a shot of cal/mag on top of normal nutes throughout.

IMO about 1/2 way to 2/3 through flower switch to a ripening additive and/or drop the cal/mag.

:48:

What about the EC? It says I need 2.1 and I'm getting 0.4.

Adding more nutes will raise your EC/ppm.

water by itself is not Electrically Conductive

its the impurities that make it conductive.

:48:

You definitely need a Calmag additive. I would recommend that you add 8ml per gallon of solution and mix well. If the plants are still small(not flowering), you can put a few drops of calmag in 100-200ml of water and spray them every day for a week to help the plants green up a little faster.

Make sure you are reading and following the measurements properly. It is easy to mix up measures and mix in half as much as you should.

Okay, but how come the EC is 0.4 while using the manufacturer's own feed chart at the same time they recommend an EC of 2.1.

I just don't get how that makes sense.

I think it is important for you to understand that there is a difference between soft water and RO. Soft water is water that has been treated and is NOT good to use on plants. An RO unit on the other hand removes most of the dissolved solids in water and leaves you with almost pure water. I am wondering about your pH though. RO water is generally really close to 7.0 as it is pure water. ThH is affected by impurities--a ppm of 50 with a 6.0 pH seems like of off.

Also, the pH is not going to effect the ppms of the solution like you have mentioned. I am not familiar with the nutes you are using and cannot help you with the EC disrepancy. But as Hush mentiond, you generally need to add Cal-Mag if you are using RO water. However, I always add it during flowering.

You need to read at the manufacturer site on the Dutch Pro and see if you are using the right amount, AND are using all of the parts that you need. I know with several of the nutrients, they come in 2-3, or more parts, and you have to use all of them in some proportion to each other in most cases. It sounds like you are only using 1 part of a multipart nutrient.

Latest posts

Back