Are air pots better?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfer Joe

Reaction score
I was wondering if airpots are any better than regular round or square pots and whether they offer any more benefits or drawbacks in hot or cold situations or with high and low humidity in a grow tent using soil.
If they're better, why do people use the solid side pots?

I like using smart pots, the are cloth pots that drain well and aerate the roots. They stay cooler than black plastic pots. I started using them 5 years ago and i have never looked back.

I used air pots for 7 or 8 years in a tent. I liked them. I did 16 1 gal or 9 3gal in the tent. My space is much larger now and I use 7 gal grow bags.

I love Smart Pots like Rose said. They work awesome. Wouldn't use anything else.

smart pots, felts, cloth pots all are same self root pruners. believe they lessen chance of root rot. i like them a lot.

Thanks all. Do the smart pots make any difference in watering frequency or in dealing with hot or cold conditions compared to the plastic pots?

I am using them for my outdoor grow this summer. Using 20 and 25 gal pots. I may go with larger pots next year.

the 1 thing about smart pots versus air pots, the smart pots are very difficult to transplant to larger pots. Air pots come apart and are very easy to transplant.

the 1 thing about smart pots versus air pots, the smart pots are very difficult to transplant to larger pots. Air pots come apart and are very easy to transplant.

yup, i hada destroy some 3 gal. felts that i wanted to traNSPLANT from.

though if you overwater a plastic pot it is much harder to dry. whereas a felt, you can put an oscillating fan in front and dry them overnight.

try both and get back.

There is a trick to transplanting. If you can just get the cloth to break from the roots on the bottom of the pot, they come out pretty well. Good point grasshopper.

Are the fabric pots a problem to move around?
I was wondering if the soft sided bags would cause the soil to shift around and weaken the root stability or even cause damage to roots when moved?
Do they require more frequent watering?

no issues when moving, they kind of right themselves. Yes more waterings

more water/feed = very good thing . a 3 or 4 day dry is very fine.

unfortunately no one has answered the question of whether air pots are better. I live in Cali and commercial growers are every where. I know someone who tested air pots, smart pots, and plastic grow bags...none had any advantage. Everyone here has a preference but I think that is all it is.

They seem a little more expensive(though not a lot) than what I use. Smart pot knockoffs from my local grow store, but they also appear substantial and look like they'd work great.
Are they sturdy enough to move around if needed.

I will only grow in the felt bags now. It makes a huge difference to my grows especially the root ball health. Nice full thick white roots. With bennies. The plant as a whole ends up being healthier. Yeah you do water a little more but it is a good thing as stated. The pots are stiff enough when full to move around without any problems I can think of. You kinda have to turn them inside out to peel them off the root ball. Definitely give them a try. I'm going to do perlite and coir this time I have done coir and compost in the past.

Latest posts

Back