Flushing for over-fertilization

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes thank you! I have to add that I also never check my run-off...lol...unless my plants are looking like something is wrong. I know it's not right, but I'm only being honest.

PH I don't know if it's the RO water or not.

I agree that your plants would probably be finished by the time the lime had time to take effect...i think even if you got the fast acting stuff.

I'm to the point that I'm not even going to check my pH at all and just see what happens. I'm going to use these General Organic nutes, with some microbial life added in and I'm not even going to bother checking pH...becuase all it does is make me worry...lol...I'm going to trust in the microbials and the soil...and let them do their thing. Now if things start looking out of whack then I may check....but I think that like Hick said all the nute lines are buffered, then we add lime to buffer, then we use pH adjusters to further buffer...lol...I'm starting to think it's just another way for the hydro co's to take our money.

AY! thanks for the info though....I will be interseted in your test.

On a final note.....I wish they would put a born on: date on their bottles...who knows how long that stuff has sat in wharehouses store shelves etc.

Thanks, everyone. Concerning the lime, yes mine is not fine, but rather, course; however, it is fast-acting. Also, I add the stuff before I pot. As for adding lime during a grow, a finer lime might work more quickly; so, next time I will look for a fine grind instead.

As for my experiment with the nutrient solution I made, I tested the its pH last night and it had dropped from 6.5 to 6.4; that's 1/10 of a point change in 48 hours. I will continue to check over the next five days and keep you posted.

Regarding testing runoff, I'm confident that when measuring the runoff of a lot of water, such as is recovered from a flush, that what I measure is the correct pH. However, to test it on a regular basis by simply measuring the little bit that runs out the bottom after a normal watering, I don't trust that reading. In other words, I don't really know how to accurately test it under normal conditions, so, I don't.

Well, the plants I flushed look better than before, so, hopefully they'll continue to do well.

Good to hear on the plants doing better man...I've been thinking about you all day and how they were doing! came by this thread several times to see if you had posted...lol...like a worried mother! Glad to hear things are better!

Well, thanks for checking in, LF. Yeah, I they still seem to be better. Wait.. I'll check on them now; it's lights-on time. Yeah, they still look okay. Some of the leaves are still bent a bit at the tips, but sometimes that just remains that way.

The fertilizer mix I put together 72 hours ago is still at pH 6.4. So, in 48 hours it dropped from 6.5 to 6.4, but has remained steady over the past 24 hours. I'll continue on another four days.

yeah I'd say it's good then. When I had adjusted using that old pH adjuster I adjusted it to 6.5, and then 24 hrs later it was down to 5.0 or so, so I'd say it's stable if it's held this long. Thanks for letting us know!

Latest posts

Back